England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Colback is playing because Rafa likes rotation, that's all.

Dummett has been his #1 choice LB since he arrived. Didn't attempt to genuinely upgrade him either.

Debatable, he signed Lazaar and we also have Haidara to come back. Anyway, that's not really relevant since Dummett can defend a bit but Colback is completely useless in every aspect of the game.

I bet you £100,000 Haidara doesn't become first choice left back if Dummett is fit. The lad can't defend nor is he any good going forward.

I've gone full circle on Henderson like, I actually think he's criminally underrated these days.

Back where you've started?

He's the CM James Milner. Maximised potential through graft. Good enough at a lot of things and mentally smart enough and willing to adapt as necessary. Technically better than you expect but fundamentally not a "top" player. Great in the dressing room.

Liverpool & England captain says more about the options than it does about him as a player and a leader though.

This. Frankly it's an embarrassment.

England captain, maybe, but not Liverpool captain. Liverpool play some brilliant stuff and will be looking for a Champions League place at least this season, Klopp likes him and Klopp's obviously no fool. Everyone slags him off, but if you actually watch him, his positioning is brilliant and he plays a lot of nice stuff, along with the simple stuff that you associate with someone like him or Milner. If he could finish I think he'd be rated a lot higher because whenever I watch Liverpool he misses a lot of chances having got into good positions.

You look at Liverpool captains over the last 40 years, ability/leadership wise he would rank among the lowest at the moment. Better than Redknapp & Hyypia perhaps.

Gerrard, Ince, Rush, Barnes,  Hansen, Souness he is not.

All of them had different qualities, Henderson has his own. Might not be a spectacular player, but he's got a lot of great qualities. Far better than people give him credit for, and you can imagine he'd be a manager's dream to have in midfield. His all action style makes him ideal for Klopp's pressing game.

Sturridge needs to be less greedy.

Every game too, can't stand him.

Disagree. Not saying he's perfect, but most England players are fucking bottlers who are scared to take a shot on in a month of Sundays. Last thing we need to do is try and coach it out of someone who'll actually have a go.

Disagree. Not saying he's perfect, but most England players are fucking bottlers who are scared to take a shot on in a month of Sundays. Last thing we need to do is try and coach it out of someone who'll actually have a go.

:thup: He's a striker, of course he should be greedy.

"Have a go" doesn't mean ignore an obvious assist opportunity whilst you take a more difficult approach for personal glory.

"Have a go" doesn't mean ignore an obvious assist opportunity whilst you take a more difficult approach for personal glory.

Perhaps. But it also means every so often he'll carve out a shot where someone else would've pulled a Scotty Parker pirouette and passed it back. I'd much rather have it this way than t'other.

Disagree. Not saying he's perfect, but most England players are f***ing bottlers who are scared to take a shot on in a month of Sundays. Last thing we need to do is try and coach it out of someone who'll actually have a go.

Perhaps. But it also means every so often he'll carve out a shot where someone else would've pulled a Scotty Parker pirouette and passed it back. I'd much rather have it this way than t'other.

It can also mean prematurely ending the attack outside the box when he's skied one rather than letting it develop into an easier chance.