England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

People were kicking off about the cost of the Lee testimonial iirc, there was definitely something going on

It was bang in the middle of the Intertoto Cup matches, and he priced the tickets quite a bit more than what the European matches had cost from what I remember.

Hindsight and all that, but it is canny mad how everyone was obsessed with Gerrard and Lampard, when Scholes was still knocking about.

Not even Hindsight imo, he was considerably better throughout his career.

Although I'd argue the biggest issue was the obsession with 442 and forcing players out of position just because.

Depiction of Russia as some horrific hellscape is such absurd sensationalism. :lol: It's only visa restrictions and an extra couple of flight hours stopping them being visited in the same way lots of the new EU countries are.

Moscow and St Petersburg are class, and a lot of the smaller cities look worth a visit - none of them being particularly far east other than Yekaterinburg. Weather will be scorching that time of the year as well.

Not the Russians that put me off, it's the guilt by associated blue passport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40354268

15 years ago today, that fuckign free-kick. Honestly thought we'd go on and win the World Cup when Owen put us 1-0 up in that game.

Seaman was a bit before my time, how good of a keeper actually was he? Obviously thats a bit of a howler.

Thanks for making me feel fucking ancient :lol:

He was world class in his prime, unfortunately that goal was at the end of his career.  A few years earlier and he probably would've saved it.

Guest neesy111

15 years ago today, that fuckign free-kick. Honestly thought we'd go on and win the World Cup when Owen put us 1-0 up in that game.

Seaman was a bit before my time, how good of a keeper actually was he? Obviously thats a bit of a howler.

Thanks for making me feel fucking ancient :lol:

He was world class in his prime, unfortunately that goal was at the end of his career.  A few years earlier and he probably would've saved it.

He had previous mind, cup winners cup final 1995.

He was one of the best around.  I always think Keegan should've done his best to sign him for us.  We would've won the league in 95/96 if we had a world class keeper. 

• 2 months later...

Think he knew Southgate was probably going to keep him out of the squad more than include him. Going back to Everton probably helped him with that decision too. Can see him prolonging his career now ala Shearer did with us.

Think he knew Southgate was probably going to keep him out of the squad more than include him. Going back to Everton probably helped him with that decision too. Can see him prolonging his career now ala Shearer did with us.

Southgate wanted him in the squad for the upcoming games mind

Why not.

Another player who has hit rather incredible heights at club level. Although he goes out with the goal scoring record, you can't say he'll leave a mark that record should carry with it.

Why not.

Another player who has hit rather incredible heights at club level. Although he goes out with the goal scoring record, you can't say he'll leave a mark that record should carry with it.

Been shite when it mattered, ie in every single tournament, except for 2004.

Guest Howaythetoon

He's never quite performed for England when it mattered, but he has undoubtedly been one of the better players and to walk away with the goals record is no mean feat. Probably sums England up actually. Lots of ability, but unfulfilled potential.