England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

I just remember folk saying this about Shearer when he was about 29. Great players find a way to reinvent themselves a bit and Rooney's struggling with that but he'll find his way eventually.

Rooney in his prime isn't face to lace Shearer's boots even after that injury at Goodison.

Prime Wayne Rooney isn't fit to lace the boots of the Shearer who played under Gullit, Bobby, Souness and Roeder?

Obviously not even you are stupid enough to genuinely believe that, so I'll leave it there.

Prime Wayne Rooney is 2003-2004. Since then he's been mediocre at best for England with some sporadic good games, which always come in either qualifiers, non important qualifiers or friendlies. He wouldn't be in my squad and probably wouldn't have been so since 2012.

I just remember folk saying this about Shearer when he was about 29. Great players find a way to reinvent themselves a bit and Rooney's struggling with that but he'll find his way eventually.

Rooney in his prime isn't face to lace Shearer's boots even after that injury at Goodison.

Prime Wayne Rooney isn't fit to lace the boots of the Shearer who played under Gullit, Bobby, Souness and Roeder?

Obviously not even you are stupid enough to genuinely believe that, so I'll leave it there.

Prime Wayne Rooney is 2003-2004. Since then he's been mediocre at best for England with some sporadic good games, which always come in either qualifiers, non important qualifiers or friendlies. He wouldn't be in my squad and probably wouldn't have been so since 2012.

I've always said that Wayne Rooney and Stevie G are the two most overrated players ever to grace the premier league.... But saying that Wayne Rooney was unplayable for the best part of the 2009/10 season

I've always said that Wayne Rooney and Stevie G are the two most overrated players ever to grace the premier league.... But saying that Wayne Rooney was unplayable for the best part of the 2009/10 season

Agree with Rooney, but Steven Gerrard in patches was the real deal. Oft trotted out, but Istanbul man, vs AC Milan. Incredible.

Rooney's problem is that he hasn't adapted his game enough as time catches up with him.

Considering he hasn't had any real injury problems (only the metatarsal comes to mind), his decline has been remarkedly rapid and hes now just an ineffective version of his younger self.

You look at someone like Shearer who managed to adapt his game despite 2(?) ACL injuries and the Goodison leg knack and be effective into his 30s, but Rooney has just continued to be Rooney, now just not as good.

Gerrard was another one who failed to adapt enough and then saw a rapid decline from being an explosive all action midfielder, to a really ineffective holding midfielder.

Rooney just looks tired and off the pace in every aspect of the game. Not just physically, but mentally slow. The amount of times he takes a horrible first touch or gives the ball away is frightening.

He shouldn't be playing for England at the moment TBH.

I've heard it said before that sometimes players who have a bad injury in their 20s tend to stay longer at the top than those that are always fit as they were able to rest during the time they were injured rather than being flogged every week for 10 years

Agree with Rooney, but Steven Gerrard in patches was the real deal. Oft trotted out, but Istanbul man, vs AC Milan. Incredible.

Dived for a penalty.

Rooney just looks tired and off the pace in every aspect of the game. Not just physically, but mentally slow. The amount of times he takes a horrible first touch or gives the ball away is frightening.

He shouldn't be playing for England at the moment TBH.

All fit we need to playing to be playing something like

----Kane-Sturridge----

Sterling-Barkley-Walcott

----Milner--Wilshere----

imo.. although I've probably forgotten someone obvious.

Gerrard & Rooney were/are both explosive & spontaneous players. While they are both hard working they aren't inherently "team" players in terms of discipline and shape.

Shearer was an out and out striker. He could do basic striker things very well. Holding up the ball, linking with other attackers, movement in the box, flick-ons etc. Rooney's more of a "off the cuff" player and he's spent his career in loads of different positions. His best attributes are largely individual. You would still debate where to play Gerrard & Rooney throughout their careers. once moved to a deeper CM role - you never had that issue with Pirlo. he knew the position extremely well. Same with Shearer.

Last season with Gerrard - he didn't know what he was doing, what he was meant to do. The same thing is happening with Rooney.

Lampard - although in limited appearances - had a good season last term. Because when he did play, he was allowed to be what he is. And that's more defined than Rooney or Gerrard.

Gerrard was completely outplayed for the 1st half of that final it was only when Hamann came on in the 2nd half he marked kaka out of the game and gave Gerrard the freedom to bomb forward and start the comeback.... It was hamann who won that final not gerrard

tbf Gerrard will tell you that himself, I hear him say it in interviews all the time. But still he was a great player. He won a ton of trophies and scored  in most of the finals. His score/assist rate is immense, too. I get that he didn't "control" games, but I don't think he was that type of player to begin with. Not until later in his career.

I don't remember that specifically but Gerrard was absolutely class. Possibly got carried away with his quarterback role and loads of Hollywood passes, but the amount of times he saved Liverpool.

Eh? It's widely credited for stopping the tide.

I can believe that, I just don't remember the game. Don't think I watched it.

Doesn't really have anything to do with the utter shit that Snrub came out with, though.