England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

I don't see what centre-back Lascelles should be ahead of there. A couple of friendlies against good opposition are as good an opportunity to promote your Under 21 captain as any to give him experience imo.

I'd say he's had a better career and played better than Harry Maguire.

The fact that players are constantly picked based on the club they player for, rather than their current form or ability is the reason that England are consistently crap. What has Lingard done this season, for example? A bit part player for Man Utd with one PL start under his belt.

Promoting the U21 manager just gives an additional issue of him trying to shoehorn in his favourite U21 players despite them doing fuck all at club level to earn a callup.

I thought Maguire was good when Silva took over for Hull, but no more so than Jamaal was when Rafa took over. I find their stories quite similar actually, except Lascelles has since captained his side to winning the Championship and then started this season well. Looks a lot more comfortable now he's sorted his hernia out.

Joe Gomez, Ruben Loftus Cheek and Tammy Abraham all in the next squad

I wonder how much of the Abraham call up has to do with Nigeria sniffing around him, we've been quite aggressive about this sort of thing under new leadership and might have given him a World Cup place just to tie him down. Already, Iwobi, Aina, and Moses have come through England youth to play for a different nation. Judging by the surnames of the England u-20 World Cup side, this issue is likely to keep happening in coming years.

He's better on the ball & isn't afraid to step out of defence. That's why he gets picked.

Agreed, they should be taking Shelvey for similar reasons. There isn't anyone else as creative from deep midfield as him available for England. I don't see what Fabian Delph brings to the table for you at international level other than a Manchester City contract. There are already three left backs in the squad and he doesn't provide anything different in midfield.

Jesus H!

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Crystal Palace - loan from Chelsea), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Jack Cork (Burnley)

Jesus H!

Midfielders: Eric Dier (Tottenham), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Jake Livermore (West Brom), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Crystal Palace - loan from Chelsea), Ashley Young (Manchester United), Jack Cork (Burnley)

:lol: