England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Guest Howaythetoon

Really is a what if for England if Hoddle had stayed on as manager.

Aye, I think we were developing into a very good team under him, tactically especially and we had some top players in most positions.

Sven come in after KK of course and tried to change the culture of the players mentally, but still played 4-4-2 or a flat back four and in straight lines. That and square pegs in round holes.

His treatment and handling of Paul Scholes really irkes me, the best midfield this country produced since Gazza and he gets shifted out to the left wing.

Totally underused, we often played with what was 4 central players in midfield which meant we were so flat in there. Sven wasn’t skilled enough to make that work like how Pep could, but even then, you build the midfield around Scholes even if that meant dropping Gerrard or Lampard.

I’m certain Hoddle would not have played them all together as he looked beyond individuals, he didn’t try and fit his tactics around the players, he tried to fit the players to his tactics.

Scholes man, what a player who should have been an all-time England great but was criminally underused and didn’t have the cult of personality of say Beckham who had a hell of a lot of aveage games for England and wasn’t even close to being the best player we’ve had in the last 2 decades.

Guest Howaythetoon

Like Southgate more and more, hope it works out for him.

I liked how he said we will have the majority of possession which in these hot conditions will allow us to dictate the tempo etc. He said that not through arrogance, but belief as that’s how he wants us to play and has us playing.

4 years ago we never had the majority of possession even against so-called lesser teams.

Well that's a lie. You had the majority of possession in every game you played in the last Euros [emoji38]

Ah right sorry thought you said two years ago. You had more possession in two out of three games in the last World Cup

I forgot about the Euros ha ha, I’m talking about the last WC by the way.

Like Southgate more and more, hope it works out for him.

I liked how he said we will have the majority of possession which in these hot conditions will allow us to dictate the tempo etc. He said that not through arrogance, but belief as that’s how he wants us to play and has us playing.

4 years ago we never had the majority of possession even against so-called lesser teams.

Well that's a lie. You had the majority of possession in every game you played in the last Euros [emoji38]

Ah right sorry thought you said two years ago. You had more possession in two out of three games in the last World Cup

I forgot about the Euros ha ha, I’m talking about the last WC by the way.

Aye see my edit