England

Yorkie

I'm warming towards Southgate but the press need to pack in the "always meant for management" shite some are coming out with. He's won 1 game in injury time against a poor side. A bad result in any of our 2 remaining group games and the right wing tabloids will have him as a disgrace who should be done for treason.

Southgate seems to be dealing with the pressure far better than other England managers. He's decided on a style and the players best equipped to play it. I've seen so many England teams at major championships where the plan disintegrates the minute they actually have to face any opposition.

So many England managers end up trying to please the pundits, the media and the supporters and we end up with a hotch-potch. Southgate has the essential ability to completely ignore what everyone else is saying.

Hard to criticise the defenders too much when they were barely tested.

We'll see how good/bad they are when we play Belgium.

I mean, they were barely tested but Gigantor at the back seemed shaky as fuck in possession, until he went on his marauding runs.

Again, not sure I'd replace him, mostly cos our options are limited, but I'd be suspicious going forward.

I'm warming towards Southgate but the press need to pack in the "always meant for management" shite some are coming out with. He's won 1 game in injury time against a poor side. A bad result in any of our 2 remaining group games and the right wing tabloids will have him as a disgrace who should be done for treason.

Aye there's no middle ground. If that was a draw yesterday he would have got roundly criticised but because of a last minute winner he's a hero until the next game where it all starts again

Love how the expectations have been record low when it comes to England in this WC, and after beating Tunisia without their two star players with 2-1 in injury time it's all of a sudden "It's coming home". Maybe not so much on here, but English people on social media in general :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know everyone's not serious.

This. 100% this.

Love how the expectations have been record low when it comes to England in this WC, and after beating Tunisia without their two star players with 2-1 in injury time it's all of a sudden "It's coming home". Maybe not so much on here, but English people on social media in general :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know everyone's not serious.

Fucking GOOD. We're normally absolute fucking bitches as a fan base. It's time people instilled some confidence and fucking hope in the team / one another.

Fucking GOOD. We're normally absolute fucking bitches as a fan base. It's time people instilled some confidence and fucking hope in the team / one another.

This :thup:

As if English fans have lacked belief in their Euro/WC team's chances in the past :lol: :lol: Think this WC is the first time in ages, but that changed after one game I guess :lol:

As if English fans have lacked belief in their Euro/WC team's chances in the past :lol: :lol: Think this WC is the first time in ages, but that changed after one game I guess :lol:

I assume you're referring to the tabloids and not the everyman in the pub.

England fans are consistently among the most pessimistic you'll find.

:thup: I have no idea how anyone could interpret England fans as over-confident. Ever. Every single tournament we go in talking about how shit the players are, how shit they are for England, how shit the manager is, and how shit they play as a team. For at least 15 years.

And even now it's not even really belief :lol:

We're essentially underdogs without the good things that come with being underdogs - like parties in the streets after scoring a goal in a major tournament. It's the same with Newcastle pre-Rafa, we were absolutely shit but without the joy of the small things that usually come with being shit - so we just moan about being shit.

:thup: I have no idea how anyone could interpret England fans as over-confident. Ever. Every single tournament we go in talking about how shit the players are, how shit they are for England, how shit the manager is, and how shit they play as a team. For at least 15 years.

See also: deluded jawdees

See also: deluded jawdees

:thup:

Also about the media narrative. As a foreigner, when they show stuff relating to England and the fan expectations, they 99% of the time show mentalists backing whatever story they're peddling.

If I didn't get my input in the English mentality through here, but only through the news, I'd probably be nodding along to the "all England fans are singing "It's coming home" bullshit.

Guest firetotheworks

Love how the expectations have been record low when it comes to England in this WC, and after beating Tunisia without their two star players with 2-1 in injury time it's all of a sudden "It's coming home". Maybe not so much on here, but English people on social media in general [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] I know everyone's not serious.

There's not one thing on social media that I love more than the ''It's coming home'' thing. It's hilarious.

It's tongue in cheek. Although that might be why you find it hilarious, like. I dunno.

Genuinely Euro '96 was the last time I had any confidence in an England team to be anything but also-rans

2002 for me, when Owen put us 1-0 up against Brazil I honestly thought we'd go on to win it. Don't think we'll ever get a better chance than that.