England

Yorkie

In fairness to the Irish the 'best fans in the world' shit at the euros wound me the fuck up like :lol:

Think it's canny hard to argue to be honest, they're the Geordies of national football.

They were fixing old women's cars and cleaning local shops up whilst we were being clouted off the Russians. It really rubbed me up the wrong way tbh.

Nah, no matter what was said, they'd still have said the English are arrogant.  There was nothing remotely arrogant about post-match analysis.  It's coming home is not arrogant, but it clearly annoyed the fuck out of non-England fans.  They've started from the position that we're arrogant, then clutched at whatever nonsense to justify it. 

i was explaining the origins of it's coming home to the bairn and it brought back the memory of how fucking funny it was when the germans beat us on our own patch and basically fucking murdered us with that song :lol:

Fun times :lol:

i'm always coldly dispassionate about england personally, helps if there's toon players playing but ultimately i'm not really that bothered if they get beat so i found it fucking hilarious when the germans pulled that in their accent at the time like

i wasn't happy we lost or anything, far from it, could just see the funny side

the defeat the other day was the most gutted i've probably been tbh

Arrogance. :lol:

I don't know if you've ever watched pre-match football coverage before but speculating about what a team's potential strengths/weaknesses are in relation to their opposition is kind of the whole point. Had England played 2x120 minutes and Croatia not, the pundits would have said they were worried about England's stamina, why wouldn't they?

Again, we're back to this weird situation where the normal rules of following and talking about football cease to exist during international tournaments.

Think your team can maybe win a match? ARROGANCE.

Think Raheem Sterling might be objectively quicker than Dejan Lovren, and mention that England could use this to their advantage? DELUDED.

Query whether playing more football matches might make a human being more weary than another human being who has played less football matches? WHY EVERYONE HATES ENGLAND.

Exactly.

There is absolutely no fucking point, AT ALL, to pundits.

Ooops. Sorry Mr. Advertiser. Obviously starting the program an hour earlier than kick-off is of the utmost importance.

Nah, no matter what was said, they'd still have said the English are arrogant.  There was nothing remotely arrogant about post-match analysis.  It's coming home is not arrogant, but it clearly annoyed the fuck out of non-England fans.  They've started from the position that we're arrogant, then clutched at whatever nonsense to justify it. 

i was explaining the origins of it's coming home to the bairn and it brought back the memory of how fucking funny it was when the germans beat us on our own patch and basically fucking murdered us with that song :lol:

i'm always coldly dispassionate about england personally, helps if there's toon players playing but ultimately i'm not really that bothered if they get beat so i found it fucking hilarious when the germans pulled that in their accent at the time like

Oh fucking aye, I forgot that and didn't quite take your meaning there.  They actually sang that at the end of the game, and in the final, right?  So we inadvertently helped knock ourselves out then too. :lol:

It's a fucking great football song like, the absolute best in my opinion. 

In fairness to the Irish the 'best fans in the world' shit at the euros wound me the fuck up like :lol:

Didn't they get like a key to a French city or something?

:lol: The idea that it might actually come home with your shit draw and bad performances was sickening, tbh.

I disagree, I think you can complain, because it's stupid. There are several NUFC songs which reference winning the league/cup/going to Wembley/Europe, despite the fact we all know we're going to achieve none of this. It's a football song. I haven't been to Waterloo with me mum and me dad and me gran and a bucket of vindaloo either.

Do we have reevaluate terrace culture in the wake of this World Cup run to make sure all songs fit the established facts so we're not accused of arrogance in future and don't upset poor Luka and his weird mates?

I literally wrote 1 line about the song. My point is taking the tiredness as an absolute fact, then going on about the final (ITV and BBC did this) as Bluf said - rather than focus on Croatia and how we take advantage of their weaknesses.

When we've been in semi's - we barely looked at what the other semi was doing... at least that's how it seemed. Laser focus on the Man U and Marseille games I felt from the media sans x years without a trophy stuff.

I'm with Bluf really. There's a predisposition of seeing the English as arrogant. Especially from Croatia, a small and relatively new nation. Beating England and going to the WC final is the biggest sports achievement ever - according to Bilic anyway. I can imagine their focus was solely on us.

It's also fairly arrogant to insist we aren't arrogant. Arrogance is usually down to perception from others and an over-estimation of one's ability or standing. It's harder to call a team arrogant or in need of humility when they win and we never do.

ABSOLUTE SHIT. EVERY SINGLE FUCKING WORD. EVEN THE FUCKING PREPOSITIONS AND CONJUNCTIONS, TOTAL SHIT.

Except the 3rd paragraph, I'm fine with that. The rest? SHIT.

Oh fucking aye, I forgot that and didn't quite take your meaning there.  They actually sang that at the end of the game, and in the final, right?  So we inadvertently helped knock ourselves out then too. :lol:

It's a fucking great football song like, the absolute best in my opinion. 

yeah when they'd beat us on pens and the final, in their heavily accented german as well...so good :lol:

Presumably Modric is up in arms about the way Marca report the football

What about it?

I don’t think Marca or even Real Madrid woul deny there’s an arrogance around them. When you win and have a history of winning, you take the arrogance as part of success. 

When you don’t win anything. Rarely challenge.  The arrogance tag stings. 

Guest Howaythetoon

How dare a nation have a bit of fun with with a line from a footy song that pokes fun at ourselves. We need to be more sensitive towards all those other nations in the WC in case we offend them. Fuck off :lol:

How dare a nation have a bit of fun with with a line from a footy song that pokes fun at ourselves. We need to be more sensitive towards all those other nations in the WC in case we offend them. Fuck off :lol:

But you're the one who is offended.

The Croatians used it as motivation and are in the WC final.

:lol: what kind of self respecting arrogant nation can't even have a third place* open top bus parade!? GarethOut.co.uk imo.

* aye u heard me, third place. It's nailed on. Fuck them waffley cunts

I know they had one in 1990 but it would have been embarrassing as fuck to have an open top bus. It's embarrassing enough that a country with England's football history and infrastructure has only made 3 World Cup semi finals.

I know they had one in 1990 but it would have been embarrassing as fuck to have an open top bus. It's embarrassing enough that a country with England's football history and infrastructure has only made 3 World Cup semi finals.

Was surprised when I read that earlier on, seems very smalltime.

Guest firetotheworks

The tiredness thing is a bit ridiculous. Not sure why Modric was so upset by that. However, when your national catchphrase becomes "it's coming home" for two weeks I don't think you can complain when people accuse you of arrogance, tongue in cheek or not

Okay, humourless simpletons it is.

The tiredness thing is a bit ridiculous. Not sure why Modric was so upset by that. However, when your national catchphrase becomes "it's coming home" for two weeks I don't think you can complain when people accuse you of arrogance, tongue in cheek or not

Well there's a language and cultural barrier there like [emoji38]

Guest firetotheworks

Well there's a language and cultural barrier there like [emoji38]

I'd argue that Modric should know better from his time at Spurs like, Lovren similarly too. It's a total nonsense, I don't believe that Croatians can't grasp the concept of sarcasm, irony, tongue in cheek, or self depreciation and that's pretty much the only thing I can think of that would make their comments understandable.