England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

46 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Grealish has performed quite a few times for England like. I couldn't name a single time Sancho has.

I understand people looking at player's club form, what I can't understand is completely ignoring player's form for England. Pickford and Maguire being the main two where their England form seems to count for nothing for some reason.

Maguire was horrific against Germany. One of his worst ever games. Mind, Pope wasn't great either.

2 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Last night, where he scored his first goal since September? He was rubbish man.

I thought he was getting kicked all over by the two center halfs but did well to hold the ball up, IMO his experience against those types of defenders will be invaluable for a sub to hold the ball up, I would have taken him instead of Gallagher.

2 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Grealish has performed quite a few times for England like. I couldn't name a single time Sancho has.

I understand people looking at player's club form, what I can't understand is completely ignoring player's form for England. Pickford and Maguire being the main two where their England form seems to count for nothing for some reason.

Whilst I generally agree, it's hard to make that argument for Maguire right now. Yes he has been good in past competitions, but his form has so dramatically dipped outside the National team at some point it has to be more of a consideration than past form. 

4 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Whilst I generally agree, it's hard to make that argument for Maguire right now. Yes he has been good in past competitions, but his form has so dramatically dipped outside the National team at some point it has to be more of a consideration than past form. 

I totally agree that it's not us much the case with Maguire now like, but for a long time he was a complete Jekyl and Hyde, with people constantly only looking at his Man United form. Even now, with his England form being poor, I still don't think you can totally disregard his previous form, mainly because it was that good.

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I'm going to say Semi-Finals, the Nations League was to Southgate what Euro 88 was for Bobby and Foden has his Gazza breakout tournament on the international scene.

The players had lost the euros at Wembley in a penalty shootout in the final - mentally brutal for them - I’m not surprised they couldn’t get up for the Nations League. World Cup should be different 

48 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Perhaps it's my anti-Chelsea bias, but I can't for the life of me see the hard-on for Mason Mount.

He did nowt in the Euros. I've seen him have some excellent games for Chelsea but he contributed nowt in the tournament games for England, especially the final.

Aye. He has been dreadful for England whenever I’ve seen him. Save for being ‘another’ defensive player. Saw some bits about how his positioning and discipline suit Southgate’s system. Or some such nonsense. 

Don’t we already play with 2 holding mids and often a back 5, as well :lol: 

england-xi_2022WC_November-2e2acb267b8b5bfd45ce5c50247d9645.thumb.jpg.2cc2e54de0a93445ae8069ecf003c333.jpg

Hmm... my intial thoughts would be 433 over 4213. Not sure about left back options. Burn should be there.

Prefer one holding midfielder with two more attacking ones. We are too negative with two holding midfielders. Think ball retention and better passing options forward from the middle is something Southgate struggles with, but its often because we have 7 players sat back so much.

Wouldn't mind a different system to see Kane and Wilson together. Think Wilson's off ball runs would make space for him and Kane. Don't know if Wilson can replace Saka and Sterling as wide attackers of a front 3 system. Grealish, Rashford and in particular Foden are great options. Probably prefer Wilson to replace Kane if he's flagging or to put Wilson's pace up top with the wide forwards.

When was the last time we had 6 players at a World Cup?

Dead happy for Wilson. And can only be good for us for players to see playing for us can get you in the England squad. Only Man City have more - we're joint with Arsenal/Chelsea/ManU.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

30 minutes ago, hakka said:

england-xi_2022WC_November-2e2acb267b8b5bfd45ce5c50247d9645.thumb.jpg.2cc2e54de0a93445ae8069ecf003c333.jpg

Hmm... my intial thoughts would be 433 over 4213. Not sure about left back options. Burn should be there.

Prefer one holding midfielder with two more attacking ones. We are too negative with two holding midfielders. Think ball retention and better passing options forward from the middle is something Southgate struggles with, but its often because we have 7 players sat back so much.

Wouldn't mind a different system to see Kane and Wilson together. Think Wilson's off ball runs would make space for him and Kane. Don't know if Wilson can replace Saka and Sterling as wide attackers of a front 3 system. Grealish, Rashford and in particular Foden are great options. Probably prefer Wilson to replace Kane if he's flagging or to put Wilson's pace up top with the wide forwards.

Trent at left back? What?

16 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

343 really 

Then you cant select any wing backs in the 4. Impossible to select the formation he might well go with. :lol:

Anyway:

Pickford

White      Dier      Stones

Tripper                                       Shaw

Rice      Bellingham

Saka           Kane                Foden

Would be my shout. No chance he's not staring Sterling though. 

england-xi_2022WC_November-9c51873ac1f10

Once Phillips is up to full fitness. Think Maddison could be utilised well cutting in from the right, not that Southgate would dare to play such an attacking lineup. 

Pickford is a level below Pope, not sure why anyone on this forum would choose him even if Southgate almost certainly will.