Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

Should be looking to get the best part of £40m for our strikers (Mitro, Gayle, Joselu & Armstrong) in the summer.

Blow it all on one imo.

With our generous credit terms when we sell players Rafa would be lucky to get £8million of that. Might as well keep Joselu!

it's starting to kill me this installments thing, and i've been guilty of it as well, but f*** me yeah let's sell £40m worth of players from an already s****, small squad then give rafa 25% of that to spend on replacing them (if he's f***ing lucky)

we're such a shithouse club man

Considering how we sell in installments and buy outright and have been doing it for many years now we should have a constant stream of transfer cash every year.  Because we've built up a load of installments getting paid to use every year and have no installments going out.  So at this point "we can't spend X from the sale of a player because of installments" is just another shite excuse.

i'd be amazed if it amounted to say £40m or whatever people think we're gonna bring in from sales personally

You mean if the installments we receive every season amounted to £40m?, probably not.  We could probably work out roughly what we get each year I suppose.  These kind of deals are usually paid in equal payments over the course of a players contract length.

Should be looking to get the best part of £40m for our strikers (Mitro, Gayle, Joselu & Armstrong) in the summer.

Blow it all on one imo.

With our generous credit terms when we sell players Rafa would be lucky to get £8million of that. Might as well keep Joselu!

it's starting to kill me this installments thing, and i've been guilty of it as well, but f*** me yeah let's sell £40m worth of players from an already s****, small squad then give rafa 25% of that to spend on replacing them (if he's f***ing lucky)

we're such a shithouse club man

Considering how we sell in installments and buy outright and have been doing it for many years now we should have a constant stream of transfer cash every year.  Because we've built up a load of installments getting paid to use every year and have no installments going out.  So at this point "we can't spend X from the sale of a player because of installments" is just another shite excuse.

i'd be amazed if it amounted to say £40m or whatever people think we're gonna bring in from sales personally

You mean if the installments we receive every season amounted to £40m?  We could probably work it out in a rough kind of way I suppose.  These kind of deals are usually paid in equal payments over the course of a players contract length.

yeah, what i'm saying is that people are still going "lets sell gayle, mitro, joselu & armstrong" for £40m then we can spend that on new striker(s) also assuming rafa is going to have a budget outwith this of say £50m from TV money

if we did sell them all most likely we'd get max £10m up front or something, is there £30m still to come from installments on previous sales? i don't know but i doubt it seeing at the total owed to us was £60m from the account and we owe £25m or whatever...

Aye probably £30m at most is more likely (looks like there might be about £30m coming in per season but obviously some going out).  I suppose getting those four off the wage bill and securing future cash would be more important in bringing players in than the instant cash injection.  Though Ashley will probably just flip a coin to decide the transfer budget regardless "heads I win tails you lose Rafa"

Mitro was gash for us in the PL imo. He's a big target man who lacks the strength to hold off PL defenders, doesn't have notable aerial ability at all especially in build up play (barely jumps), and doesn't hold the ball up particularly well. He's also slow and has shown he's a mediocre finisher who can't be relied upon to take rare chances. The only time he made a positive impact in the PL was when he'd come off the bench and "offer something different", and that was purely by virtue of just having a different play style to Cisse/Ayoze/etc, i.e. try to win headers, hold the ball up, battle physically with defenders instead of actually being good at those things.

That was in the past, though. Wonder if anything has significantly improved in his game whilst with Fulham that now suggests he'd do well in the PL? Not sure scoring regularly in the Championship is a good indicator of him being good to go at PL level - he was behind Gayle for us when in the Championship because Gayle looked like Andy Cole down there, yet we all know Gayle isn't remotely good enough for the PL asides from effort, so there's only so much stock you can put on that. Come to think of it Mitro was behind Murphy too, either due to a falling out with Rafa or because Murphy was slightly better aerially/held the ball up better.

And maybe this isn't a consistently applicable barometer, but if Mitro looks class then you'd expect other PL clubs to be banging on the door to sign him permanently. Can understand Fulham wanting him because he's already embedded in their team, and for a newly promoted PL side they'll struggle to get a quality goalscorer. He'll  also be good should Fulham get relegated from the PL, so it's a safe gamble all round for them. But you'd expect other mid table or low end PL clubs to be seriously considering him if there's a decent chance he's a much better player than we've seen in an NUFC shirt.

I'd personally be inclined to sell Mitro if we get a decent offer, ideally straight after the WC in case he scores a couple of goals and his value increases. I think that'd be one of those deals where everyone wins - Fulham get an OK player, and we get rid of a player who'd at best be a bench warmer (especially since he doesn't have the mobility needed for Rafa's system and things like Shelveys passing ability). There's always going to be the risk that he develops further and becomes another Jon Dahl Tomasson type that we regret selling after misusing him (not sure that's the case with Mitro tbh, he's had plenty of games for us in his preferred position/role), but it's also just as likely that he gets found out again at PL level or does something stupid that will make noone else want him. We'd then be stuck with an unsellable player that noone really wants, taking up space/wages in the squad till his contract runs out or he gets a new contract from whichever new/desperate manager has come in and realised there's no money for replacements - basically what kept Shola here forever.

Wish we could pull a 21 year old foreigner first season in England getting 9 goals gash again like. Would have been a big help this year.

He started this season with us and went on loan in Jan. The few times he came on he looked kinda useless and the same as before.

Might be harsh, but that's why I'm asking if anything has changed.

Wish we could pull a 21 year old foreigner first season in England getting 9 goals gash again like. Would have been a big help this year.

He started this season with us and went on loan in Jan. The few times he came on he looked kinda useless and the same as before.

Might be harsh, but that's why I'm asking if anything has changed.

Did he? I thought in the only real run he had, against West Ham where he got about half an hour, he looked really dangerous and was causing them issues, and scored.

(Yes, there was the incident, but Shelvey's clearly shown those don't matter when you have the talent to help)

Mitro was gash for us in the PL imo. He's a big target man who lacks the strength to hold off PL defenders, doesn't have notable aerial ability at all especially in build up play (barely jumps), and doesn't hold the ball up particularly well. He's also slow and has shown he's a mediocre finisher who can't be relied upon to take rare chances. The only time he made a positive impact in the PL was when he'd come off the bench and "offer something different", and that was purely by virtue of just having a different play style to Cisse/Ayoze/etc, i.e. try to win headers, hold the ball up, battle physically with defenders instead of actually being good at those things.

That was in the past, though. Wonder if anything has significantly improved in his game whilst with Fulham that now suggests he'd do well in the PL? Not sure scoring regularly in the Championship is a good indicator of him being good to go at PL level - he was behind Gayle for us when in the Championship because Gayle looked like Andy Cole down there, yet we all know Gayle isn't remotely good enough for the PL asides from effort, so there's only so much stock you can put on that. Come to think of it Mitro was behind Murphy too, either due to a falling out with Rafa or because Murphy was slightly better aerially/held the ball up better.

And maybe this isn't a consistently applicable barometer, but if Mitro looks class then you'd expect other PL clubs to be banging on the door to sign him permanently. Can understand Fulham wanting him because he's already embedded in their team, and for a newly promoted PL side they'll struggle to get a quality goalscorer. He'll  also be good should Fulham get relegated from the PL, so it's a safe gamble all round for them. But you'd expect other mid table or low end PL clubs to be seriously considering him if there's a decent chance he's a much better player than we've seen in an NUFC shirt.

I'd personally be inclined to sell Mitro if we get a decent offer, ideally straight after the WC in case he scores a couple of goals and his value increases. I think that'd be one of those deals where everyone wins - Fulham get an OK player, and we get rid of a player who'd at best be a bench warmer (especially since he doesn't have the mobility needed for Rafa's system and things like Shelveys passing ability). There's always going to be the risk that he develops further and becomes another Jon Dahl Tomasson type that we regret selling after misusing him (not sure that's the case with Mitro tbh, he's had plenty of games for us in his preferred position/role), but it's also just as likely that he gets found out again at PL level or does something stupid that will make noone else want him. We'd then be stuck with an unsellable player that noone really wants, taking up space/wages in the squad till his contract runs out or he gets a new contract from whichever new/desperate manager has come in and realised there's no money for replacements - basically what kept Shola here forever.

Don't understand the agenda behind this sort of opinion being peddled out all the time. By any measure, he had a good debut season in the PL, all circumstances considered.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I think mitro has a lot of potential but think he missed the chance he had under Rafa in the championship and at the end of the day if Rafa can't trust him he has to go.

I think that's the point. Rafa doesn't seem to think he can play his way/Mitro hasn't shown the desire and adaptability to be able to mould himself into a player who can thrive the way Rafa plays. I don't think Mitro is good enough for Rafa to completely change his footballing philosophy and style of play to better suit him. Fulham play a way that suits him - good for them. Sadly we don't. On that basis, it makes sense to sell him and buy someone who will/can do what Rafa wants.

Trust Rafa

As I said, Fulham would not be in the Premier League without him. 20m is a fair price in today's market.

Was looking at Villatalk today and they seem to think that Grealish is worth 50m, so we have lot to learn about being unrelistic.

As I said, Fulham would not be in the Premier League without him. 20m is a fair price in today's market.

Was looking at Villatalk today and they seem to think that Grealish is worth 50m, so we have lot to learn about being unrelistic.

Considering his age, the position he plays in, his international record and his actual decent strike rate already in the PL. I think 20 million in today's market is undervaluing him. IMO we will struggle to find a player as valuable to our team up front as Fulham have if they buy him for that price. It's a crying shame Rafa doesn't rate him and the two just don't work together because this lad is going to come back and bite us in the bum.

Considering his age, the position he plays in, his international record and his actual decent strike rate already in the PL. I think 20 million in today's market is undervaluing him. IMO we will struggle to find a player as valuable to our team up front as Fulham have if they buy him for that price. It's a crying shame Rafa doesn't rate him and the two just don't work together because this lad is going to come back and bite us in the bum.

Yeah, think he would be extra motivated to score against us having not gotten enough opportunities.

I made my peace with this situation, he does not fit into Rafa's system and the choice between Rafa and Mitro is easy.

Don't understand the agenda behind this sort of opinion being peddled out all the time. By any measure, he had a good debut season in the PL, all circumstances considered.

A different opinion to yours doesn't necessarily have an agenda. I've gone entirely by what I've seen and remembered, nothing else, and listed exactly what I thought he showed in his first season with us. If anything, I'd argue the agenda is more on the side of Mitrovic admirers (i.e. they like him as a person, reputation/image/attitude, celebrations, "madness", whatever) - imo it's borderline revisionism to claim he had a good debut season when for large parts the lad struggled to control a football and looked like he had two left feet when on the end of chances. But then that's my opinion of his performance standards, which is obviously subjective. I'm sure if we go back far enough in this thread to the middle/end of the first season there'll be plenty of posts about how shit he was and plenty of other posts saying he was decent and that he's young/learning.

If you wanted another objective counter argument to "Mitrovic had good debut season", when we were relegated everyone who could be sold for decent money was sold. No club went near Mitrovic, and the strongest link at the time was a loan move back to Anderlecht. Again, I don't like to put too much stock into "why don't good clubs go for him if he's good" arguments since there's various things to consider (e.g. maybe clubs didn't want a perceived bad egg ala Anelka at Fenerbahce), but it's certainly indicative. If Mitro had had a "good" season I'm certain he'd have been snapped up by any number of PL clubs needing a striker, especially given his supposed pedigree at the time, even with the bad boy image.

A different opinion to yours doesn't necessarily have an agenda. I've gone entirely by what I've seen and remembered, nothing else, and listed exactly what I thought he showed in his first season with us. If anything, I'd argue the agenda is more on the side of Mitrovic admirers (i.e. they like him as a person, reputation/image/attitude, celebrations, "madness", whatever) - imo it's borderline revisionism to claim he had a good debut season when for large parts the lad struggled to control a football and looked like he had two left feet when on the end of chances. But then that's my opinion of his performance standards, which is obviously subjective. I'm sure if we go back far enough in this thread to the middle/end of the first season there'll be plenty of posts about how shit he was and plenty of other posts saying he was decent and that he's young/learning.

Revisionism is saying he was gash based on nothing but your own opinion. As a 21 year old newcomer to the Premier League he score 9 goals in 22 starts and 12 sub appearances and contributed 4 assists, while following the guidelines laid out by tactical mastermind Steve McClaren.

What more do you expect from a 21 year old new to the PL?

I remember Mitro missing enough chances alone that could have kept us up. His yellow card within 30 seconds of his debut....my immediate thought was we've signed a fucking idiot here. His next yellow and then the red confirmed my thoughts. But, he got the happy clappers onside - the ones who viewed his ultimate stupidity as being 'committed'

It's not an agenda far as I can see, I've watched a few Fulham games this season when he's been on and he looks like he hasn't improved at all. He's a nuisance striker at best in the Premier whose strengths won't make up for his failings. I can't see him scoring many for Fulham next season so I think we should cash in while his value is inflated due to his purple patch in the championship.

Be the next Thauvin and worth 50m plus a year after we sell him. Maybe.

Happy if he's sold cos Rafa feels he doesn't suit his system or doesn't like his attitude, as long as Rafa stays. If we sell him then Rafa leaves and the above happens I'll be fcuked off frankly. Think he deserves a shot at the premiership with someone.

Revisionism is saying he was gash based on nothing but your own opinion.

As stated, it's a fairly common opinion on here that Mitrovic was poor/shit in his first season (go back a few hundred pages to see that), just as it was a common opinion on here that he was OK/decent for a young player in a new country thrown into a mediocre team. So logically you'd be accusing me of revising the past if you think Mitrovic was good/decent. That's a given. I'm not discounting that possibility.

The point I made is that from my perspective, because I am in the "Mitro in first season was poor" camp, others seem to be revising the past based on their bias towards the player. You've not really covered that. Another point which I hadn't raised but which you've failed to acknowledge in your factually incorrect statement above is that an additional method of revisionism is retrospectively extrapolating performances from stats and then saying "oh he must have been decent, look at this number on paper, see?", as you've done in your next sentence.

Anyway, "nothing but your own opinion" is a tad nonsensical. Everything on here is opinions, including your opinion on interpretation of stats when judging a player (which I'm sure won't be consistent when it comes to universally accepted mediocre/crap players who have good stats on paper occasionally, e.g. Shola in 05/06). Plus, it's not just my own opinion, I've already made the point that noone went near Mitro after relegation, and since his "good debut PL season" he's only played in the Championship, which if anything is far more a concrete argument that supports my view.

As a 21 year old newcomer to the Premier League he score 9 goals in 22 starts and 12 sub appearances and contributed 4 assists, while following the guidelines laid out by tactical mastermind Steve McClaren.

Already explained, in some depth too, re: expectations. The stats are decent on paper certainly, but that why I specifically said I went by what I've seen. The poor performances far outweighed the positive stats, and the failure to do the basics as the season wore on is what has led to the opinion I and others have that he had a poor first season in spite of the OK'ish stats. Again, seeing that he's spent 2 years in the Championship since that supposed (according to you) good quality breakthrough first PL season, at a club with an owner who sells at every opportunity and under a world class manager who doesn't rate him, potentially backs that up.

Just as another example, according to WhoScored.com Mitrovic had an average rating of 6.67 in 2015/16 for us in the PL. Shola Ameobi had an average rating of 6.72 in 2010/11 (21(7) appearances, 6 PL goals, 3 assists).

As stated, it's a fairly common opinion on here that Mitrovic was poor/shit in his first season (go back a few hundred pages to see that), just as it was a common opinion on here that he was OK/decent for a young player in a new country thrown into a mediocre team. So logically you'd be accusing me of revising the past if you think Mitrovic was good/decent. That's a given. I'm not discounting that possibility.

The point I made is that from my perspective, because I am in the "Mitro in first season was poor" camp, others seem to be revising the past based on their bias towards the player. You've not really covered that. Another point which I hadn't raised but which you've failed to acknowledge in your factually incorrect statement above is that an additional method of revisionism is retrospectively extrapolating performances from stats and then saying "oh he must have been decent, look at this number on paper, see?", as you've done in your next sentence.

Anyway, "nothing but your own opinion" is a tad nonsensical. Everything on here is opinions, including your opinion on interpretation of stats when judging a player (which I'm sure won't be consistent when it comes to universally accepted mediocre/crap players who have good stats on paper occasionally, e.g. Shola in 05/06). Plus, it's not just my own opinion, I've already made the point that noone went near Mitro after relegation, and since his "good debut PL season" he's only played in the Championship, which if anything is far more a concrete argument that supports my view.

As a 21 year old newcomer to the Premier League he score 9 goals in 22 starts and 12 sub appearances and contributed 4 assists, while following the guidelines laid out by tactical mastermind Steve McClaren.

Already explained, in some depth too, re: expectations. The stats are decent on paper certainly, but that why I specifically said I went by what I've seen. The poor performances far outweighed the positive stats, and the failure to do the basics as the season wore on is what has led to the opinion I and others have that he had a poor first season in spite of the OK'ish stats. Again, seeing that he's spent 2 years in the Championship since that supposed (according to you) good quality breakthrough first PL season, at a club with an owner who sells at every opportunity and under a world class manager who doesn't rate him, potentially backs that up.

Just as another example, according to WhoScored.com Mitrovic had an average rating of 6.67 in 2015/16 for us in the PL. Shola Ameobi had an average rating of 6.72 in 2010/11 (21(7) appearances, 6 PL goals, 3 assists).

I've said plenty of times that Rafa and Mitro are mutually exclusive and I'd rather have Rafa, and also elsewhere I think Mitrovic will go on to have a good career. Just admit it you've been overly critical - his first season was not 'gash' , it was at least decent and quite promising.

I've said plenty of times that Rafa and Mitro are mutually exclusive and I'd rather have Rafa, and also elsewhere I think Mitrovic will go on to have a good career. Just admit it you've been overly critical - his first season was not 'gash' , it was at least decent and quite promising.

Better GPA than Gayle in the PL for Newcastle. Fairly equal GPA when you include his other clubs in the PL as well. Yet, some people still think Gayle is better - despite the equal stats and age difference. If Mitro was as old as Gayle and has had the same time as Gayle in the PL, then yeah. He's not, and has not, though.