Aleksandar Mitrović

Yaron

How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?  

268 members have voted

1. 1. How many goals will Mitro score for Fulham this season?

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 16-20
    • 20+

So the argument is that Mitrovic holding the ball up makes things happen. I don't disagree with that, he's not just a goal scorer. But those type of players still need to be able to finish, especially in a team that plays with one striker. In the premier a lone striker needs to be scoring a minimum of 15 goals I would say. Who would put money on him doing that?

So the argument is that Mitrovic holding the ball up makes things happen. I don't disagree with that, he's not just a goal scorer. But those type of players still need to be able to finish, especially in a team that plays with one striker. In the premier a lone striker needs to be scoring a minimum of 15 goals I would say. Who would put money on him doing that?

posts like this ignore that rafa's system isn't really suited to a big man up top type system for the entire season though; if rafa decided to start mitro for the entire season with him and adjusted the system to get runners from midfield around him and quality crosses in from out wide consistently then i see no reason why 15 wouldn't be achievable

atm he's often too far away from goal at crucial times and playing in the wrong areas for his type of game, i don't necessarily think that's entirely down to him

posts like this ignore that rafa's system isn't really suited to a big man up top type system for the entire season though; if rafa decided to start mitro for the entire season with him and adjusted the system to get runners from midfield around him and quality crosses in from out wide consistently then i see no reason why 15 wouldn't be achievable

atm he's often too far away from goal at crucial times and playing in the wrong areas for his type of game, i don't necessarily think that's entirely down to him

So what exactly is entirely down to him? Are the chances missed down to him? Or not attacking decent crosses? How about having zero goal threat even when being in the 6 yard box?

A decent striker is one who reads the game well. They know instinctively where the ball is going to end up, where it's going to land. This is why Rafa persisted with Cisse and also why Cisse's goals kept us up the season before last when he looked dogshit in general. I would counter-bet and say if we gave Murphy a full season he'd actually end up with way more goals than Mitro, as he does seem to have those instincts more than Mitro.

So what exactly is entirely down to him? Are the chances missed down to him? Or not attacking decent crosses? How about having zero goal threat even when being in the 6 yard box?

A decent striker is one who reads the game well. They know instinctively where the ball is going to end up, where it's going to land. This is why Rafa persisted with Cisse and also why Cisse's goals kept us up the season before last when he looked dogshit in general. I would counter-bet and say if we gave Murphy a full season he'd actually end up with way more goals than Mitro, as he does seem to have those instincts more than Mitro.

of course his finishing is down to him, as are all of his attitude and disciplinary problems and probably how poorly he's adapted to playings rafa's system as well...he's obviously at fault to some degree for how far away from goal he's playing i'm just not sure how much

i see something in him as a 22 year old, he's scored goals before he came to us so it's certainly not beyond him if things were set up right imo

plenty don't agree, that's fine, i strongly suspect we'll never find out either way

He's not really mobile enough for Rafa's system.

I don't think he's really improved significantly since he arrived, which is typical of signings at this club in recent years.

It is a question of “what makes you useful in EPL” rather than “who is a better footballer” for Newcastle.  As a goal scorer, no one can argue that Gayle is the better one and he must be first choice if you simply look in this way.  Given the same amount of chances Mitrovic would miss probably twice as Gayle.  But then, as a team, in Premiership, are we going to have as much chances as in Championship? What I observe this season is if we are able to dominate the game without forward`s support, Gayle is a much better option because he has enough supplies to convert to goals.  However if we are unable to do so, Gayle is nearly non-existant, and he couldnt help to change the game.  Mitrovic is the opposite.  He couldnt convert the chances that good but he is able to help to create it.

To be blatently honest, both strikers are not good enough.  But if we are forced to use 1 next season, I believe Mitrovic could contribute more to our results even if he would score less goals than Gayle. 

I would rather spend 25m on Sigurdson though.

Murphy : 5 goals in 687 minutes in the Championship. Supposedly just a backup striker for us.

Mitrovic : 4 goals in 1032 minutes in the Championship. One goal since November. That is an absolutely dreadful record for someone so highly rated on here.

Ideally wouldn't have both next year really, neither are good enough strikers. Still would choose Mitrovic due to his age if we had to keep one.

It is a question of “what makes you useful in EPL” rather than “who is a better footballer” for Newcastle.  As a goal scorer, no one can argue that Gayle is the better one and he must be first choice if you simply look in this way.  Given the same amount of chances Mitrovic would miss probably twice as Gayle.  But then, as a team, in Premiership, are we going to have as much chances as in Championship? What I observe this season is if we are able to dominate the game without forward`s support, Gayle is a much better option because he has enough supplies to convert to goals.  However if we are unable to do so, Gayle is nearly non-existant, and he couldnt help to change the game.  Mitrovic is the opposite.  He couldnt convert the chances that good but he is able to help to create it.

To be blatently honest, both strikers are not good enough.  But if we are forced to use 1 next season, I believe Mitrovic could contribute more to our results even if he would score less goals than Gayle. 

But who would score the goals? Gayle and Ritchie have scored most of our goals. Removing our top goal scorer and replacing him with Mitrovic because, according to you, he creates chances for others is some flawed logic. If he's going to create chances for newly acquired, goal scoring players why not just replace him in the team with some who scores goals as a striker?

http://www.nufc.com/2016-17html/goalscorers.html

People wanting a non-goal scoring striker in the team amazes me. We've had the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand, Cole, etc. over the years. We've now got people saying they'd play a non-goal scoring striker as he may provide chances for other players. What has happened to some people's standards for a striker?

Murphy : 5 goals in 687 minutes in the Championship. Supposedly just a backup striker for us.

Mitrovic : 4 goals in 1032 minutes in the Championship. One goal since November. That is an absolutely dreadful record for someone so highly rated on here.

Ideally wouldn't have both next year really, neither are good enough strikers. Still would choose Mitrovic due to his age if we had to keep one.

Works out at 1 goal every 3 games. Most of those minutes have been the odd 15-20 minutes here and there. I've posted the stats when he actually starts.

I think he'll be sold because he's poor in front of goal, he offers more than Murphy does when they're both not scoring but that's hardly a glowing endorsement of Mitrovic. 

But who would score the goals? Gayle and Ritchie have scored most of our goals. Removing our top goal scorer and replacing him with Mitrovic because, according to you, he creates chances for others is some flawed logic. If he's going to create chances for newly acquired, goal scoring players why not just replace him in the team with some who scores goals as a striker?

http://www.nufc.com/2016-17html/goalscorers.html

People wanting a non-goal scoring striker in the team amazes me. We've had the likes of Shearer, Ferdinand, Cole, etc. over the years. We've now got people saying they'd play a non-goal scoring striker as he may provide chances for other players. What has happened to some people's standards for a striker?

What I mean is, if we play Gayle in EPL next season, we face the risk that we even cant create any chance to score goals because our midfield cannot function on their own and need help from Mitrovic.  Gayle is a pure goal scorer.  If we have some excellent transfer and we can get some excellent wingers or play makers like Ben Arfa then fine I would go for Gayle instead. 

I think if you want to play Mitro, you need a pacey goalscoring number 10 behind him rather than a creative attacking midfielder type.

I'd still like to give him another season (admittedly in hope more than expectation) Perhaps getting a coach in to work with him on finishing.

Although if we can find a better option, it's not worth the risk and effort

Send him out on loan for a season. We probably won't be able to recuperate what we paid for him if we sell him in the summer so why not give him a chance to redeem a little bit of his value and confidence. Maybe (probably not) he improves massively and we can sell him for an okay price or decide to keep him.

Works out at 1 goal every 3 games. Most of those minutes have been the odd 15-20 minutes here and there. I've posted the stats when he actually starts.

So we just ignoring the times he played because he didn't start, to make him look better now ?

mitro has to improve massively to be a good PL striker, i think we can all agree on that

I think the same goes for Gayle tbh. He's clearly a better goalscorer than Mitrovic and has pace as an added advantage. If he's to score enough goals to make us mid-table competitive next season however, he also needs to develop better awareness in the build-up, and do better when receiving the ball with his back to goal.

We desperately need a better main striker than both next season, as well as two goal-scoring midfielders. Sigurdsson is the absolute ideal signing for the number 10 role. Shelvey chipping in with goals would be quite useful if Rafa can find us a steely CDM to cover for his forays forward.

I don't agree that a "big man" isn't suited to Rafa's system. The fact is, if Mitro could convert his chances he'd have scored plenty of goals in this formation.

Yep. It's going back a bit, but I am going to use Mark Hughes as the example again. Fantastic at holding the ball up, but he wasn't going to score 20 goals a season for you. But he could finish when he got the chances and he would probably contribute around a dozen every season at least.

Laurent Robert, Ben Arfa, Asprilla, Gazza, Mitrovic and many others who have conquered our hearts. These players are trouble but thats their character which makes them something special and there is something about them that gives you the pleasure and wanting them to succed.

Mitro can be very frustrating to watch at times and no matter how shitty he plays, he will still be the first player i look for in the line up for the next game.

He hasnt played well in the championship, lacking alot of confidence in front of goal which i hope Rafa will forgive.

In Mitro i can see a Christian Vieri type of goalscorer and i really hope we keep him.