Sacramento Republic 0 -1 Newcastle United FT (Full Match in OP)

Guest n4e

Now you're taking the piss, trying to make me watch an extra minute :p

It was precisely 1.14.35

EDIT: And well worth watching, because he surely did welly it :lol:

Were you not entertained by that minute? :lol:

CBs, Wingers, A striker that can hold the ball up, Not wasting De Jong as a number 10, Colback being captain.

In order that's the list of issues we face.

I though De Jong was a number 10? Not seen much of him but that was impression I had

CBs, Wingers, A striker that can hold the ball up, Not wasting De Jong as a number 10, Colback being captain.

In order that's the list of issues we face.

I though De Jong was a number 10? Not seen much of him but that was impression I had

He is but we don't have any strikers who can hold the ball up so it's a bit pointless.

Sacramento were very pleasant to watch. Playing with three left-footed playmakers in a four man midfield. Pardew would've died if he was still here. Friendly or not, it's shocking how low on agility, footballing intelligence and creativity our squad is.

Especially worried about our midfield. IIRC McClaren has preferred 4-2-3-1, 4-5-1 over the years. We might have enough bodies in the center to pick a working trio but making Colback a key player again is asking for trouble. Having a water-carrier role (or whatever this guy thinks he's playing) in our midfield requires us to have another player who is more defensive alongside him. So how we're going to fit both Sissoko and Wijnaldum in there is a mystery to me.

Having a more motivated Tiote to displace Colback might be key but McClaren probably doesn't rate him much. Oh and a winger of very good ability is a must.

Anyway, pleased to see Aarons continues to play with courage and determination. Hopefully his hamstring has healed properly because it's often a weak spot in players of that type.

The biggest reason De Jong didn't see much of the ball was because the space between him and Anita/Colback was way too far as both of Anita and our Captain Ginger went deep to collect the ball, two players doing the same fucking role. This combined with Obertan and Sissosko trying to run down to the byline more often than not.

Like junkhead says. Not much agility and flair makes us look f***ing static. A few of their players actually had technical quality and intelligence, and what a difference that made when they were passing the ball around. We are always in a hurry going forward, in straight lines which makes it easy to defend against. Almost like we're still playing under Pardew..It might take a while to change our style i can imagine..Wrong players as well.

I just had a quick flick back (fuck knows why) through and it was better than what I caught this morning  :lol:

I agree about Anita and Colback being too similar/deep (they seemed to be doing a lot of full back covering, with Janmaat and Haidara getting quite high up the pitch), but I'm sure McClaren said they were first working on getting the players comfortable in this shape and holding the ball, then they'd look to work on being more incisive. Perhaps they're just keeping it safe to build confidence, for the moment, I hope it's not a long-term thing. de Jong's off-the-ball work needs a bit of time, he seems to be doing some energy conservation which is pretty understandable. We needed him to drop deeper when playing in the hole a little bit more to link up through the middle as an extra option. We had some good 1-touch interchanges in the previous game through the middle, we were missing that.

We're certainly getting more numbers forward. I saw a few first half attacks and we regularly getting 4/5 in and around the box, but things broke down too many times with poor choices and/or touches. If they're really mainly just focusing on possession-based stuff, at the minute, that might explain the lack of cohesion. There were some good moments out wide where we upped the tempo out wide well, with Janmaat and Sissoko doing some good 1-2s and getting into good crossing positions.

I did like seeing a bit of rotation between de Jong and the 2 deeper midfielders, but it's a bit pointless when it's Colback and Anita taking up that #10 role; if we get Wijnaldum in there, I can see it working nicely mind. Some of the pressing was a bit hit-and-miss with certain midfielders not always following up, but at least the instruction is there to do it.

Like junkhead says. Not much agility and flair makes us look f***ing static. A few of their players actually had technical quality and intelligence, and what a difference that made when they were passing the ball around. We are always in a hurry going forward, in straight lines which makes it easy to defend against. Almost like we're still playing under Pardew..It might take a while to change our style i can imagine..Wrong players as well.

it will take a while, they've only had around 3 weeks of training with a load of travelling in between. you don't change four years of junk in three weeks.

Sacramento Republic? Who the hell are these teams?

Despite the next team being an MLS team, we're only playing their B team iirc. We couldn't organise a pre-season if our lives depended on it.

Despite the next team being an MLS team, we're only playing their B team iirc. We couldn't organise a pre-season if our lives depended on it.

It's actually a USL team. USL is the US's third tier.

Edit: Oops. I totally misread that as being about Sacramento, not Portland.

I saw this on .com and wondered, it had a 2 next to the team name... So we're playing a reserve team next? Jesus.

I so 80 of the 90 minutes...

Janmaat the only stand-out in the back, won't comment on the CB pairing, and Haidara looks far far off the pace. He either needs Colo next to him or I'm hoping he just couldn't be arsed yesterday, which is sad given the level of opposition.

Colback + Anita need not play in the same midfield ever, again. Thanks. The whole point of Anita is to retain possession, pass intelligently and build our play - if he's not connecting those passes, then he's really worthless out there. Colback is useless as well, not even going to bring him up any further.

Sissoko, sloppy and poor decision making again. He probably isn't putting any effort into this btw which is very annoying. Obertan is Obertan, a ton of running, ton of bad passes, and probably still doesn't realize he is faster than most people.

De Jong looked lost out there, and Cisse had some nice touches but if he's not getting service he's not doing anything for us.

Thought Aarons, Perez, and Wijnaldum all looked lively and good. Aarons take-on ability is great, and he'll produce chances for us. Perez is still and easily my favorite player in our team, and Wijnaldum did some very quick decisive moves and ball retention that I really liked - quick switches as well.

The s*** player are still s***, the good players look bad and Pardewed, and well...we need signings, whole squad worth honestly.

It's actually a USL team. USL is the US's third tier.

Edit: Oops. I totally misread that as being about Sacramento, not Portland.

:lol: But I see it is Portland Timbers 2. So, yeah, it's another USL team.

Wow, we really are playing the 2nd division Portland Timbers :lol: T2

http://portland-mp7static.mlsdigital.net/mp6/t2_story_v2.1.jpg

Fucking WBA played Orlando City and other clubs play top sides...we play bunch of 2nd division sides. Insane.