Ivan Toney (now playing for Brentford)

joeyt

Personally think it's that the previous betting bans, and this one too, are mental - not that this is ridiculously light or anything. Sketchy betting on himself aye, but at least he was always backing himself and not the other way round. :lol: 

Suarez got 8 games for being a racist in comparison ffs. When you turn young lads into walking billboards for betting companies, you can hardly be surprised when some of them end up with a massive gambling addiction.

2 minutes ago, christ said:

Can’t imagine the odds were long enough to make it worth it.

Depends how much he bet on it, would have been betting more than a couple of quid.

Edited by SUPERTOON

I think 8 months feels about right. It's long enough to be meaningful but not long enough to disrupt the bloke's career at all (which is totally not the aim of the punishment here). Ultimately it should do the job in getting the message across.

5 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

He's been "diagnosed" with a gambling addiction which has added to the leniency

Found that amusing too.  I bet it was very hard for a millionaire footballer to find a private doctor to diagnose him with that.

I know from my own personal history that addiction manifests in many forms, but the percentage of his bets that involve games he has intimate knowledge of doesn't indicate addiction.

For all I know he was up until 3am playing online roulette which we wouldn't know about though as it isn't football related.

53 minutes ago, Eveready said:

Found that amusing too.  I bet it was very hard for a millionaire footballer to find a private doctor to diagnose him with that.

I know from my own personal history that addiction manifests in many forms, but the percentage of his bets that involve games he has intimate knowledge of doesn't indicate addiction.

For all I know he was up until 3am playing online roulette which we wouldn't know about though as it isn't football related.

Yeah we won't know to what extent but from reading the PDF on the FA webpage he tried to argue he was hiding the gambling habits from his parents, not the FA, in case they opened his bank statements. But that fell flat on its face because his bank statements showed 'significant' non-football gambling anyway. :lol:

It sounds like he never made a bet that he could affect through negative play.  

He did a couple that positive play could impact

image.thumb.png.d8c2ad8f8a8969045efb339f598470ad.png

You'd think he'd be trying his best anyway.  There is not much difference between having a bet on yourself and having a goal bonus I guess.  

Personally I think the ban is about right.  I don't think there is a need to ruin someone over something like this.  He has also been carrying the baggage for a while.  If he had done any bet where he bet himself to lose that would have been a different matter.

Just now, Pata said:

Those are actually worse than I thought when the news initially came out. Think he can be happy it’s only 8 months, could have been way worse.

Agreed. Surprised it's not a full season. 

56 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

It sounds like he never made a bet that he could affect through negative play.  

He did a couple that positive play could impact

image.thumb.png.d8c2ad8f8a8969045efb339f598470ad.png

You'd think he'd be trying his best anyway.  There is not much difference between having a bet on yourself and having a goal bonus I guess.  

Personally I think the ban is about right.  I don't think there is a need to ruin someone over something like this.  He has also been carrying the baggage for a while.  If he had done any bet where he bet himself to lose that would have been a different matter.

I'd suppose the flip side of the argument is that he may then not be arsed to perform to his best in the games in which he didn't bet on himself. Anyone directly involved in matches imbalances the game to some degree when they bet on an outcome.

12 minutes ago, Emotic said:

I'd suppose the flip side of the argument is that he may then not be arsed to perform to his best in the games in which he didn't bet on himself. Anyone directly involved in matches imbalances the game to some degree when they bet on an outcome.

That’s true.  I think the rules are correct and he deserved a ban for what you said, I just think it’s about the right size. 

3 hours ago, Anderson said:

Personally think it's that the previous betting bans, and this one too, are mental - not that this is ridiculously light or anything. Sketchy betting on himself aye, but at least he was always backing himself and not the other way round. :lol: 

Suarez got 8 games for being a racist in comparison ffs. When you turn young lads into walking billboards for betting companies, you can hardly be surprised when some of them end up with a massive gambling addiction.

It brings the integrity of the sport into question - so it isn’t light at all.

Of course the bans for racist abuse should be exponentially longer, completely agree there

3 hours ago, Anderson said:

When you turn young lads into walking billboards for betting companies, you can hardly be surprised when some of them end up with a massive gambling addiction.

Betting companies should be banned from sponsorship.

Should ban kit sponsorship entirely if for no other reason than it looks shit.

Banned for life is harsh, but if you're running a league then a match fixing scandal is just about the worst thing that can happen. Something like that feels like just about the only thing that could bring down the Premier League at this point. Betting on your own club - whether for/against, playing/not playing - brings up a lot of questions. That's why I'm surprised it's not longer.

Edited by timeEd32

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It brings the integrity of the sport into question - so it isn’t light at all.

How? There's no spot fixing, or betting on negative outcomes he can affect.

8 minutes ago, Anderson said:

How? There's no spot fixing, or betting on negative outcomes he can affect.

1) It's a perception problem - even if it's not happening it's veering in the direction of match fixing and it calls things into question.

2) What does that mean about the games he didn't bet on? Was he aware of injuries or other information no one else knows? Even if there's clearly no match fixing concerns it's basically akin to insider trading.

3) Probably less of an issue with the digital ease of gambling, but what if a player grow large gambling debts? Does he share information with the books or worse?