Newcastle United 2 - 2 Southampton - 09/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 46

Dave

The block aside, I can't remember anything Colback did. Actually, scratch that, I remember him fouling Mane.

He's an OK player but I was getting frustrated at how often he was turning back, today. Anita, whilst evidently not perfect, generally tries to turn into space and move forward when he can.

Wijnaldum moving back as the weeks go on will be a big, big help.

Much happier with that. Hoping Mitrovic, raw as he is, will prove to be a Ferguson-Cole hybrid, Mbemba is a clear improvement and will look better in time/a settled partnership, Wi-aye-man is a class act: top drawer. Was hoping to seeing Aarons start, but tbf thought Obertan gave a good account of himself. And well-played Jack C; went that extra mile.

The botting of Colback on social media is genuinely insane. Everything we did well today happened thanks to Sissoko and Wijnaldum, followed by Anita. We fell to bits towards the end when we lost 2 of them.

:thup:. Would love to see Wijnaldum moved back into CM alongside Anita in the near future. Can't see it happening without an injury to Colback though.

The block aside, I can't remember anything Colback did. Actually, scratch that, I remember him fouling Mane.

He's an OK player but I was getting frustrated at how often he was turning back, today. Anita, whilst evidently not perfect, generally tries to turn into space and move forward when he can.

The

Thought Wijnaldum got caught in possession too many times. Will take awhile to adapt to the pace of the league.

The

Thought Wijnaldum got caught in possession too many times. Will take awhile to adapt to the pace of the league.

:thup:

I genuinely think the plan is for him to become a CM, they just don't want to chuck him in there too early with the likes of Anita/Colback (who aren't physical enough to carry him) while he's adapting.

Main Negatives for me were Colo and Haidara, Colo was way off he pace and doesn´t look like a prem defender, haidara was good going forward but his defensive work was really bad.

Other negatives were Mclaren´s substitutions, they just didn´t work and he should have been looking to hold Southampton further back by introducing pace (Aaarons/Perez), Tiote killed our formation as both he and colback tend to sit, De Jong is still not the right pace for me, he was nowhre near the play the whole game.

Positives were Mbemba (after goal), Anita, sissoko and wijnaldum. I would rather see aarons but Obertans got the assist so fair enough.

You'd have got a much better performance out of colo if he'd had a preseason, same goes with Tiote not playing for most of 2015. 3 key new players in the squad as well, I can see why he'd think there's a lot more to come from us. However we need strengthening down the entire left side, I don't expect him to say that directly to us through the media but hope to god he's going all guns out in the boardroom.

Apart from Sissoko's couple of nice cut back passes and Mars-man's once in a million assist i'm struggling when i'm thinking about if we had any other quality deliveries in to the box during these 95 minutes? How many times was the ball on that left hand side where we failed to get a good ball in there :lol:

There were mixed performances today. Some very promising, some pretty terrible.

Colo was weak and slow, didn't read the game well at all. He needs to up his game massively or he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Wijnaldum looked to have genuine class. I really liked him, looks a quality player.

Mbemba was, aside from the first goal, pretty solid. His small stature will always be a weakness but he has so much more to his game than most DCs we've had over the last 10 years.

Obertan was just a baffling choice to play. OK, he got an assist but he held us back in so many other ways.

Colback was decent, and I'm no fan of his, but he certainly wasn't fantastic. I can cope with him OR Tiote in the side, if they have a "protect the back 4, play it simple" mandate, but when we had both on the pitch we fell to bits. I'd have preferred to see Wijnaldum drop into Anita's position and then either De Jong come on to play behind the striker or to have moved Sissoko there and brought Aarons on.

I was pleased to see Haidara start as I've had time for him in the past, but he was bad today. He seemed to have good intentions, but couldn't do anything.

We're crying out for someone who can play left wing, who can occupy the spot Obertan had today but actually threaten to get past his man and put in a cross from the byeline. I don't think Cabella is that player, so we need to desperately pull out the stops to get someone before the end of the month IMO or we'll have a horribly lop-sided team.

The lack of height in our central defenders made it almost inevitable that we'd concede a couple of headers. I don't think anyone was surprised it happened. Colo-Mbemba need to only start against certain teams where you know there'll be no strikers who will dominate them.

I'd like to see us go:

------------Cisse/Mitrovic

NEW LW------De Jong------Aarons

--------------------------------------

----------Sissoko---Wijnaldum

---------------------------------------

Haidara---NEW DC---Mbemba--Jaanmat

------------------Krul

I think perhaps we need an upgrade on Haidara too, but maybe that's too much to ask in this window. Maybe Dummett can play DC competently enough (he's no DL) so that may negate the need for that position. I'm assuming on the above lineup that De Jong can stay/get fit and is a good player, but if not we could play Cisse and Mitrovic together and go 4-4-2 if (and only if) we got someone in the LW spot who could put in a good cross with their left foot.

There's promise there anyway. I have cautious optimism.

Perez and Aarons are much better out wide on the left than Haidara is good at LB. I've been crying for a LB for ages. We should add to both positions really. CB as well (but, but..)

I'd like to see us go:

------------------Krul

Isn't Aarons a left winger?

If you're gonna play him then surely it'd be on the left.

I'd like to see us go:

------------------Krul

Isn't Aarons a left winger?

If you're gonna play him then surely it'd be on the left.

Aye.

Sissoko and Wij in CM too...

Scrolled down, saw that team and immediately decided I wasn't reading the rest of the post. :lol: