Newcastle United 2 - 2 Southampton - 09/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 46

Dave

It's almost Ronaldo's trademark expression, but Colo is so weak now. He really is a soft touch. So lucky that Yoshida didn't score or Mane after Colo let him cut inside. Janmaat was beaten far too easily for #2 as well. Wiki has him at 6'1 to Shane Long's 5'11, but he didn't get much of a challenge in.

They ran us ragged in the last twenty minutes, but let's just say that was fitness and the disruption from Anita going off. All in all, a good point!

If Shane Long is 5'11", I'm 7'0". Soccerbase lists him as 5'8" fwiw.

Once everything is settled and Mitrovic is up to speed, I'd sooner we now kept Cisse as the number 2 striker coming off the bench with Mitrovic starting, than buying another striker. He was awful for the most part imo, but still looks dangerous. As he did a few times last season (Hull & Swansea spring to mind), I'm happy with him being on the pitch late on when we're chasing an equaliser or going for the winner.

Feeling ropey today. Thank god I've got work off like  :)

Felt like a lot less Pardew style Hoof-ball yesterday, which is encouraging. It's didn't always work, but we tried to keep the ball down.

Fair play to Obertan - cross for 2nd goal was spot on.

It is obvious that the left side of our defense was suspect yesterday and at fault (in part) for both goals. i am not sure whether it is ring rust for Colo or not but he just wasn't up to standard and got beaten on a couple of one on ones which he normally excells at. haidara was awful defending crosses coming in from his flank yesterday, he reminded me of a certain mr simpson who used to back off and give wingers space...

Haidara was the only player who looked hesitant and not up for it at times from the starting line up. McLaren will have learned also that Tiote and De jong are not the answer when fresh legs are needed. Tiote looked fat and slow, De jong just stood in Mitrovics space up front. The substitutions made things worse not better when Anita (before injury) and Wijnaldum both tired early into the second half. Colo was not awful as I have been reading elsewhere, but was responsible for most of our long periods of possession football. (no hoofing).

Hard not too see the positives from yesterday;

- some of the football was the best its been for a long time, can only get better as they get used to the style of McClaren

- draw against a good side who are probably ahead of us fitness wise - they would have won that game last season. Most will be happy with that.

- very encouraging start for the new lads overall

Negatives

- defence still suspect, especially at set pieces/balls coming in from the wider areas

- bench looks good but the players on it not really up to speed at all (Tiote/ De Jong)

Overall, think things will get better and very encouraging to know we have Perez and Aarons in the mix as they will no doubt become regular players in the team IMO. I think McClaren is trying to manage both of them into the team for maximum effect.

Alot to work on still as they next 7 games are really not easy at all but playing the big teams first may not be a bad thing - none of which looked entirely convincing at the weekend.

Need to get some rest, work hard and get ready for a tough trip to Swansea.  I would definitely take a draw down there.  Gomis and Ayew are going to be all over us!

Disclaimer - DID NOT WATCH FULL GAME!

Didn't think Haidara was particularly at fault for either cross that resulted in the goals. The 1st, Colo has gone forward so Haidara has to cover the player that Colo left behind who has moved into a central position. The ball goes wide, Obertan is not paying attention and not covering so Haidara then goes out to him when Colo comes back into position, too late though as the cross goes in. 2nd goal, Haidara is tucked in, 2 players on his side, Obertan not covering again, Haidara goes to the player with the ball when he can but again too late to stop the cross. In both instances Obertan should have helped.

As i said, didn't watch the rest so Obertan may have had a good game going forward and Haidara a poor game overall but both crosses for the goals were down to Obertan and not Haidara.

It's almost Ronaldo's trademark expression, but Colo is so weak now. He really is a soft touch. So lucky that Yoshida didn't score or Mane after Colo let him cut inside. Janmaat was beaten far too easily for #2 as well. Wiki has him at 6'1 to Shane Long's 5'11, but he didn't get much of a challenge in.

They ran us ragged in the last twenty minutes, but let's just say that was fitness and the disruption from Anita going off. All in all, a good point!

If Shane Long is 5'11", I'm 7'0". Soccerbase lists him as 5'8" fwiw.

He's definitely at least 5'10" and has a massive leap on him

Overall I am left with a positive feeling after the match.

Only thing that irked me, which I believe could have been the difference between the end result and a 2-1 victory, is the substitutions. Gini was moved further back in the midfield later in a game during pre season, which McClaren himself commented on after the game, so I don't understand why we didn't bring on Aarons or Perez earlier for Colback or Obertan to get some more pressure on Southampton higher up the pitch when we were starting to be forced back to our own half.

That stint where Southampton equalized reeked of old Pardew mentality. Hopefully that was the case, amd it will wear off soon.

I think some here are determined to hate Colback.

I didn't even like him when he was on our side, he was very good today though. Fair play to him.

He wasn't very good, he was OK, you're right about the determineds though.

I'm not determined to hate him. I hate him. I can't understand how anyone can give him the time of day after his celebration/photo antics with the mackems the other year. (Cue Ian screaming that this shouldn't be held against him.)

If he was a tremendous talent I'd ignore all that in a heartbeat but he's not. He's bang average at best and I don't want him playing for my club.

I'd have done exactly the same as him in the derby game, loads of people calling you allsorts of crap then you get a chance to turn it back, f***ing right I would.

:anguish:

Comes with the territory, man. You absolutely do not rub it in like he did then pretend to be Mr Geordie when your club picks you out of the bargain bin.

How did he pretend to be Mr Geordie ?

FFS man, he acted like a total bell end, and it wasn't an isolated incident, he did it on multiple occasions, not only in the heat of the moment but sitting on the team bus getting his photo taken.

Just because you think you would've done the same it doesn't mean he's not an arsehole.

Obertan cant continue to start, was as normal totaly shit except the one cross that led to the goal..

We need an new central defender, maybe an new LB and an new winger if Obertan is allowed to play ahead of Aaron and Perez..

Haidara was the only player who looked hesitant and not up for it at times from the starting line up. McLaren will have learned also that Tiote and De jong are not the answer when fresh legs are needed. Tiote looked fat and slow, De jong just stood in Mitrovics space up front. The substitutions made things worse not better when Anita (before injury) and Wijnaldum both tired early into the second half. Colo was not awful as I have been reading elsewhere, but was responsible for most of our long periods of possession football. (no hoofing).

I doubt McClaren will be writing any player off after one game, especially those who have not had a proper preseason.

Didn't think Haidara was particularly at fault for either cross that resulted in the goals. The 1st, Colo has gone forward so Haidara has to cover the player that Colo left behind who has moved into a central position. The ball goes wide, Obertan is not paying attention and not covering so Haidara then goes out to him when Colo comes back into position, too late though as the cross goes in. 2nd goal, Haidara is tucked in, 2 players on his side, Obertan not covering again, Haidara goes to the player with the ball when he can but again too late to stop the cross. In both instances Obertan should have helped.

As i said, didn't watch the rest so Obertan may have had a good game going forward and Haidara a poor game overall but both crosses for the goals were down to Obertan and not Haidara.

Actually agree with you. I blamed Haidara on here, having watched the goals a few times since he is getting outnumbered by two men. Probably because Obertans wanting to break away if we get back possession, means he completely leaves his man though.

Actually agree with you. I blamed Haidara on here, having watched the goals a few times since he is getting outnumbered by two men. Probably because Obertans wanting to break away if we get back possession, means he completely leaves his man though.

Considering Obertan is about as useful on a counter as a dried up cow, someone needs to tell him to at least put pressure on opposition players clearly about to whip in crosses or pass the ball out to the wing. Fucking useless cunt.

I just noticed this regarding Mitrovic's tackle :lol:

What the f***ing hell was that?

What I imagine you'd look like playing football :lol:

It's true though :lol:

I wasn't saying it wasn't, Just found it funny :lol: