The League Cup 15/16 - Sheffield Wednesday (h) in third round

summerof69

I agree with the majority on the forum - they could beat us.

At the end of the day, it is a game of football... Hayes and Yeading could beat Barcelona on the day.

I think they have a decent chance, providing they play a full strength team and play well on the day - but I still think we have more than enough to beat them.

The idiots who seem to think we're deluded and think we should win the league are wide of the mark though.

That's what happens when a club who have a blue and white home shirt bring out a black and blue away shirt.

They may have to ask us to play in our away shirt.

Surely now the FA need to clamp down on the away shirts that make it possible for a kit clash to happen.

That's what happens when a club who have a blue and white home shirt bring out a black and blue away shirt.

Surely now the FA need to clamp down on the away shirts that make it possible for a kit clash to happen.

The only time I remember us playing in our away shirt at home was against Sheff Wed in 1993.

The only time I remember us playing in our away shirt at home was against Sheff Wed in 1993.

Juventus.

Juventus in the Champions League when we beat them.

The FA stopped clubs from doing it a few years ago, we still do it in friendlies but you have to ask for permission from the FA to do so in league and cup matches.

In this case the FA should have to approve away kits before they are finialised, so there is no potential of a kit clash.

Guest neesy111

Juventus.

Yeah we did, in those days you played in your away kit at home if there was a kit clash for some reason.

During the early 80's we had some good games against Wednesday, we took loads down there and their Kop was impressive when full, they also brought decent numbers up here. They appear to have fans who remember that and have others who seem to have their opinion based on the lazy media drivel and must only know Wednesday since they've struggled. I'd like to see them back in the PL.

During the early 80's we had some good games against Wednesday, we took loads down there and their Kop was impressive when full, they also brought decent numbers up here. They appear to have fans who remember that and have others who seem to have their opinion based on the lazy media drivel and must only know Wednesday since they've struggled. I'd like to see them back in the PL.

Yeah, a proper club. I've always had a soft spot for them a little.

Heard a nice story about Sheff Weds, when Jack  Charlton was in charge. Rather than the kind of Sports  Science, not to mention health and safety, shenanigans you would experience today, Big Jack used to  load-up  the apprentices on the club bus and take them to act as grouse beaters every year, while he and his pals let loose with their 12 bores!

Translation of above:

12 bores = shotguns (or a common gauge of shotgun, to be pedantic).

Grouse = game bird (or 'verb' meaning to complain).

Grouse beating = walking through undergrowth, with flags or sticks, trying to put birds into flight and drive towards guns (or violent activity involving twatting persistent moaners...).

Jack Charlton = tallish Northumbrian associated with football and field sports (shooting, fishing, twatting attacking footballers...). 

Aim of post = add to theme of fond reflections on Sheffield Wednesday with general humorous comparison of then (ye olde days of footy management) and now.