Newcastle United vs Watford - Saturday 19th September at 3pm (not on TV)

Dave

I thought it was common consensus that you don't need a holding midfielder these as long as your central two aren't shit and are athletic enough to get about, put a tackle in etc.

Look at some of the average shit that dominates us in midfield game after game, how could Sissoko and Wijnaldum be worse than that?

It's like how Lampard and Gerrard always looked shite together though. You need two midfielders who compliment each other, and I just can't see them doing that.

Neither do Anita and Colback, of course, but nobody is disputing that those two are shite together. :lol:

I thought it was common consensus that you don't need a holding midfielder these as long as your central two aren't shit and are athletic enough to get about, put a tackle in etc.

Look at some of the average shit that dominates us in midfield game after game, how could Sissoko and Wijnaldum be worse than that?

It's like how Lampard and Gerrard always looked shite together though. You need two midfielders who compliment each other, and I just can't see them doing that.

Neither do Anita and Colback, of course, but nobody is disputing that those two are shite together. [emoji38]

Not much harm in giving it a go once anyway to see if it would work

Didn't someone say Wijnaldum played in a primarily holding role for the Netherlands in the WC?

It looked like he dropped into that position when Anita went off on Monday and he looked okay. I'm not sure I would want to see him start a full game there though. Right now I'd be happy enough to see Colback dropped and De Jong come in. That should provide some balance to the midfield which is basically what we're lacking.

Neither do Anita and Colback, of course, but nobody is disputing that those two are shite together. [emoji38]

Well this is the point surely?

Colback and Anita offer nothing, Sissoko is shit in the position he's playing and Wijnaldum isn't a number fucking ten so instead of playing 4 players who are either not good enough or just not in the right place why not just take a chance with those two CM making space for Aarons, De Jong and Perez (drop Cisse) to play roles they're capable at and where we might score goals. Against Watford. At home.

Colback and Anita offer nothing, Sissoko is shit in the position he's playing and Wijnaldum isn't a number fucking ten so instead of playing 4 players who are either not good enough or just not in the right place why not just take a chance with those two CM making space for Aarons, De Jong and Perez (drop Cisse) to play roles they're capable at and where we might score goals. Against Watford. At home.

I wouldn't say Anita offers nothing, he's quite a tigerish little tackler, he can win the ball back and recycle it, so he would still be worth considering for the lone defensive midfield role.

Even more important perhaps than the three points is that I would like to see that McClaren has the ability to see the mistakes he has made and rectifies them.

:thup:

While it's fair to say it's early days and he can learn from his mistakes, it's a concern that we've been shite for the last few games and nothing has been changed. Maybe it was the relatively tough set of fixtures that has seen him take an over-cautious approach, but that hasn't worked out too well regardless.

I wouldn't say Anita offers nothing, he's quite a tigerish little tackler, he can win the ball back and recycle it, so he would still be worth considering for the lone defensive midfield role.

I kind of agree but on the other hand if you go more attacking then Vurn is going to be more exposed and in that case I'd rather have Sissoko and Wijnaldum as a two with more potential to cover than Vurn on his own.

Also we need Sissoko and Wijnaldum out on the positions they're currently playing.

Sissoko and Wijnaldum as CM's is moronic. Let's just chuck in Aarons at left back cause he's quick on Fifa. No wonder we're seen as a bunch of idealistic dreamers.

I really don't think it is, providing you have a holding CDM behind them.

With a holding CM behind is fine I agree with you, I was referring to those wanting Siss and Wij as a 2 behind a CAM or as CM's in a 4-4-2.

If we play Wijnaldum and Sissoko one of them is going to have to sit deep while we're attacking. You can't just throw all four midfielders forward. Not only does it leave us ridiculously vulnerable to a counter attack, it's not great for our attacking play as you've basically got too many men forward and nobody between defense and attack to get it to them.

Asking Sissoko to play the holding role negates what is easily his best attribute, his energy bursting forward from midfield. Can't see him being anything other than an absolute trainwreck there. So that's out.

Wij might be able to do a passable job there from a distribution POV, but I doubt he's ever played the role before so I'd imagine he'd probably struggle to take up good positions. On top of that, I reckon he'd be pretty fucked off being asked to play the role when it's clearly not his game.

Just play one of them beside Anita, or better yet go

Anita

Sissoko                Wijnaldum

Thauvin                                                                      Perez

De Jong

I agree with all of this.

I kind of agree but on the other hand if you go more attacking then Vurn is going to be more exposed and in that case I'd rather have Sissoko and Wijnaldum as a two with more potential to cover than Vurn on his own.

Also we need Sissoko and Wijnaldum out on the positions they're currently playing.

This is precisely the reason we end up playing two defensive midfielders, because neither Colback or Anita are considered capable of doing the job alone. If they can't, then they should never have been signed in the first place and there should be question marks raised about our scouting team. Also the management who took the decision to offload Abeid who actually can play the defensive midfield role alone. You can question his ability but at least he can do a specific job without someone holding his hand.

This is precisely the reason we end up playing two defensive midfielders, because neither Colback or Anita are considered capable of doing the job alone. If they can't, then they should never have been signed in the first place and there should be question marks raised about our scouting team. Also the management who took the decision to offload Abeid who actually can play the defensive midfield role alone. You can question his ability but at least he can do a specific job without someone holding his hand.

I concur.

It sounds a stupid thing to say considering how many goals we have conceded, but i can't think of anything Coloccini and Mbemba have done wrong since Swansea.

Most of the goals we have conceded have been due to errors from others, mainly the " DMs" and the fullbacks, i might be wrong but i'm quite sure that Sissoko and Wijnaldum plus 4 attackers couldn't make things any worse and there's the added bonus of actually being able to push teams back and make them worry about us for once.

I thought it was common consensus that you don't need a holding midfielder these as long as your central two aren't s*** and are athletic enough to get about, put a tackle in etc.

Look at some of the average s*** that dominates us in midfield game after game, how could Sissoko and Wijnaldum be worse than that?

It's like how Lampard and Gerrard always looked s**** together though. You need two midfielders who compliment each other, and I just can't see them doing that.

Neither do Anita and Colback, of course, but nobody is disputing that those two are s**** together. [emoji38]

Colback and Anita offer nothing, Sissoko is s*** in the position he's playing and Wijnaldum isn't a number f***ing ten so instead of playing 4 players who are either not good enough or just not in the right place why not just take a chance with those two CM making space for Aarons, De Jong and Perez (drop Cisse) to play roles they're capable at and where we might score goals. Against Watford. At home.

Less successful challenges than Colback apparently. Only slightly higher interceptions. Per game.

krul

janmaat - mbemba - colo - dummet (is he ready yet?)

Thauvin - Wijnaldum - Sissoko - Aarons

Dejong - Perez.

For the love of god, something different than 4-2-3-1.

Looks good to me. No Bert and Ernie and the wife collector.

krul

janmaat - mbemba - colo - dummet (is he ready yet?)

Thauvin - Wijnaldum - Sissoko - Aarons

Dejong - Perez.

For the love of god, something different than 4-2-3-1.

Looks good to me. No Bert and Ernie and the wife collector.

:D

haha.

I thought it was common consensus that you don't need a holding midfielder these as long as your central two aren't s*** and are athletic enough to get about, put a tackle in etc.

Look at some of the average s*** that dominates us in midfield game after game, how could Sissoko and Wijnaldum be worse than that?

It's like how Lampard and Gerrard always looked s**** together though. You need two midfielders who compliment each other, and I just can't see them doing that.

Neither do Anita and Colback, of course, but nobody is disputing that those two are s**** together. [emoji38]

Colback and Anita offer nothing, Sissoko is s*** in the position he's playing and Wijnaldum isn't a number f***ing ten so instead of playing 4 players who are either not good enough or just not in the right place why not just take a chance with those two CM making space for Aarons, De Jong and Perez (drop Cisse) to play roles they're capable at and where we might score goals. Against Watford. At home.

Less successful challenges than Colback apparently. Only slightly higher interceptions. Per game.

As long as at least one of them gets dropped ASAP I'm OK with it, would rather it be Colback personally.

Btw can you post some context to backup the stat you've quoted such as is it less successful but more challenges made, less successful with less made? How do their stats compare to other middle of the road (if they're lucky) defensive midfielders of equivalent stature?

Otherwise it's pointless stating it if they're both utter dogshit at it but Colback perhaps slightly less so.