Top 10 players in the World, Sponsored by Tom Pippy.

Disgusting lack of Modric defenders in here :huff:

Always my biggest bug bear when it comes to daft lists like this.

THE greatest player ever was Beckenbaeur imo, yet hardly gets a look in against lesser players like Cruyff etc...always biased towards the attackers.

Lahm has been one of the greats of the past 5/10 years yet never gets a nod at all.

attacking pffff....for pansies. ;)

Case in point, Beckenbaur was a brilliant footballer...played in midfield, Lahm is a great footballer...moved to midfield. I think generally defenders aren't as good footballers because they're generally destroyers rather than creators.

Beckenbauer started in midfield when he was young but his best years were when he was at the back...

I think Nesta was the last defender I really enjoyed watching tbh, I remember one of his battles with Ronaldinho at his peak in the CL and one moment in particular where the ball was behind Ronaldinho in the air, he lifted his leg behind him to tap the ball past Nesta, only for Nesta to do the exact same trick to counter it and take the ball off him. Brilliance.

Guest firetotheworks

Fair point but it is a game of defence and attack (obviously save for the revolutionary approach of NUFC at the moment ; none of either).

To watch a Beckenbaeur, Breitner, Baresi or Maldini perform at their highest levels of defensive brilliance always gave me as much joy as watching a Zidane or Platini ripping the arse out of a defence.

Maybe we are lacking a lot of true great defenders in the world game now actually?...

I think they're exceptions, but I suppose that's just the way I see it. I think of defenders as being players that are trying to stop football happening rather than making it happen, that's why I put attacking players above defensive players. You have to be truly exceptional at the back to get long-lasting recognition. The thing is though, Maldini for example was a brilliant footballer going forward and was a winger for a while, it's that sort of thing that makes me wonder about players like Beckenbaur, Lahm etc as being brilliant footballers and without being too demeaning, more than defenders. I still love a classy centre back mind.

Guest firetotheworks

THE greatest player ever was Beckenbaeur imo, yet hardly gets a look in against lesser players like Cruyff etc...always biased towards the attackers.

Lahm has been one of the greats of the past 5/10 years yet never gets a nod at all.

Case in point, Beckenbaur was a brilliant footballer...played in midfield, Lahm is a great footballer...moved to midfield. I think generally defenders aren't as good footballers because they're generally destroyers rather than creators.

Beckenbauer started in midfield when he was young but his best years were when he was at the back...

I wouldn't try and be so bold as to give a reason why that is like, but he did still play in midfield.

I wouldn't try and be so bold as to give a reason why that is like, but he did still play in midfield.

What?

He was the first real Libero. He played in defence and brought the ball out from the back for the majority of his career.

What?

He was the first real Libero. He played in defence and brought the ball out from the back for the majority of his career.

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

What?

I didn't say he didn't. :lol: My original point was only that he had played in midfield, which he did.

Fair point but it is a game of defence and attack (obviously save for the revolutionary approach of NUFC at the moment ; none of either).

To watch a Beckenbaeur, Breitner, Baresi or Maldini perform at their highest levels of defensive brilliance always gave me as much joy as watching a Zidane or Platini ripping the arse out of a defence.

Maybe we are lacking a lot of true great defenders in the world game now actually?...

All of them are praised because of their ability to impact the game further forward though, except Baresi maybe. When people talk about Beckenbaeur they rarely talk about his defensive prowess rather his ability to charge forward and open a team up.

Like it or not defending is much more a team game than an individual one, so it's only natural that they are not praised as much.

Ponsyalias in being a tool shocker, but Mata is an assist every two games and a goal in every three right now. Scored 10 in 35 last year in an alleged shite team. He's in incredible form. If a suggestion that he's near the top 20 currently is three smiley worthy, I'd sure as shit like to see who's in your top 30.

Yeah all very fair and valid points.

I know a lot of people who see defending as 'stopping football' or less of an art as an attacking display of a winger, AM or striker

Personally thought I like to see the game in the round so to speak and love a good tackle (fnar fnar), or great positional play (shepherding an attacker away from goal etc), which I think we are kind of losing from the game a wee bit.

As for the list of today's 'best' Messi and Ronaldo are well ahead of the rest of the best for me.

These two will join the all time greatest list imo. not sure the likes of Zlatan et al will quite do that.

You wanting Martial in there as well Froggy>> :p

Yeah all very fair and valid points.

I know a lot of people who see defending as 'stopping football' or less of an art as an attacking display of a winger, AM or striker

Personally thought I like to see the game in the round so to speak and love a good tackle (fnar fnar), or great positional play (shepherding an attacker away from goal etc), which I think we are kind of losing from the game a wee bit.

As for the list of today's 'best' Messi and Ronaldo are well ahead of the rest of the best for me.

These two will join the all time greatest list imo. not sure the likes of Zlatan et al will quite do that.

You wanting Martial in there as well Froggy>> :p

Part of it is the change in rules tbh, i do believe that the game is now geared more to attack than ever has been. The defenders of yesteryear would have more struggles today IMO because of how they game has changed in terms of rules and mindset.

Guest firetotheworks

Ponsyalias in being a tool shocker, but Mata is an assist every two games and a goal in every three right now. Scored 10 in 35 last year in an alleged shite team. He's in incredible form. If a suggestion that he's near the top 20 currently is three smiley worthy, I'd sure as shit like to see who's in your top 30.

Froggy man, :lol: being decent or in good form in Man United's team doesn't really mean what it used to anymore. Scoring 10 in 35 isn't even a big deal at all, last season I used Mata's stats as an example of why Ben Arfa should be playing for Newcastle because they were very comparable. I think Mata's mint but just because he's playing well for Man United doesn't mean that there aren't another 19 players in the world that are better than him right now. You've already tried to claim that Rooney is the greatest Man United player of all time, that Smalling is the best defender in the world at the moment and now that Mata is in the top 20 in the world. That would mean that you have De Gea, Smalling, Mata and Rooney as 4 of the best players in the world which is absolute fiction.

It's nothing to do with him playing for us though really. He's absolute quality. The shit he does on the ball is unreal, plus he's creating and scoring. I'd just like to know the 20-25 better than him right now. Can only thing of about 10 that are clearly better.

Also, K.I., you've got to see when I'm taking the piss man. :lol: Rooney is doing my fucking head in. He's a completely different story from Mata and De Gea.

Smalling has genuinely been in incredible form since the beginning of the year mind. Deserves some recognition.

It's nothing to do with him playing for us though really. He's absolute quality. The s*** he does on the ball is unreal, plus he's creating and scoring. I'd just like to know the 20-25 better than him right now. Can only thing of about 10 that are clearly better.

:crazy2:

He's a decent player no doubt but lets get real here mate. :lol:

Might make the top 50, but top 10/11 is stretching it....even for a Man U fan.

Guest firetotheworks

Pick the teams with the best players in the world

Barcelona

Real Madrid

Bayern Munich

Man City

Chelsea

Juventus

Dortmund

Atletico

PSG

Arsenal

Remember that they've usually got 2, 3, 4 or even 5 world class players in each, then do the maths about him being in the top 20.

He starts on the right but he drifts in like. He has been ludicrously good recently, Arsenal game aside.

He's definitely top 30 for me, and threatening top 20. He has been twenty times better than Sanchez this season, yet Sanchez has two good games and people have him in the top 10. :lol:

He's definitely top 30 for me, and threatening top 20. He has been twenty times better than Sanchez this season, yet Sanchez has two good games and people have him in the top 10. :lol:

Howay man Froggy, Sanchez is pure class. Won the FA Cup and Copa America in the summer after an amazing first season with Arsenal and before that he bossed the World Cup with Chile. Mata was a brilliant player 2 or 3 years ago but he's not on Sanchez's level now.

Mata has been shite for Man Utd. He's a dwarf legged waddler who flukes reasonable numbers with goals/assists against garbage outfits despite never controlling a football match since he moved there.

De Gea

Pique

Ramos

Alba

David Silva

Iniesta

Busquets

Koke

Cazorla

Fabregas

Alonso

Thiago Alcantara

Xavi

Pedro

Diego Costa

All better than Mata and that's just Spain.