Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Where the fuck has £12 million come from? :lol:

I don't get us like, if we're willing to pay £12m on Shelvey then why are we even in this mess? Why not pay £12m for a midfielder 2 years ago? Why not go in for James McCarthy who at the time stock was high and Cabaye was our only decent midfielder and was probably going to leave us?

I don't get us like, if we're willing to pay £12m on Shelvey then why are we even in this mess? Why not pay £12m for a midfielder 2 years ago? Why not go in for James McCarthy who at the time stock was high and Cabaye was our only decent midfielder and was probably going to leave us?

Well exactly, but at least we're buying someone before we get relegated.

Well exactly, but at least we're buying someone before we get relegated.

a £12 english player might cost £20m in a years time when everyone is flush as fuck with £100m a year guaranteed like, they'll just be bringing transfer forward again

i'd expect little in the summer, maybe some out of contract types, clubs desperate for money and cheap gambles

Bloody hell! Never believed we'd do this alongside signing Saivet. Think it would be foolish to spend this instead of getting a striker (and a CB). Could be an amazing or a bewildering trans-fear window. Can't help wondering who is going....

:thup: That's where I'm lost, like. Obviously the situation is perilous now and they obviously realise that. But Cabella, Mitrovic and Thauvin? Just don't know wtf they're doing.

Good price considering his actual talent and age plus the fact he's English. Whether we can finally get the best of him we will see.

Swansea were using him as the most defensive CM, which I don't think he was too thrilled about. Don't think that will be the case with us, so that will be good hopefully.

Anyone know if he take set pieces?

Aye, he's got a canny shot from distance, has scored quite a few direct from free kicks.

Guest ManDoon

Colback has started every game since he came here right? When fit? Will see if McClaren has any bollocks whatsoever and drops him now

Guest Roger Kint

When was the last time we bought an England international? Woodgate?

according to this thread a few pages back Alan Smith

I really rate Shelvey, and feel I should be happy, but I feel shocked. We're not scoring enough of the ( limited) chances we're creating: we need a proven goal scorer. I know we've looked tighter & only conceded 1 in each of last few games, and that Colo remains Capt.,  but we are crying out for a strong experienced CB to line-up  with Mbemba. I can't see them going for a LB at the mo. Are we going to twist on two CMs and stick with the rest? Risky as fuck, IMO. Are we going to spend £15-20m for a striker, on top of the £17m forked-out? And another £10-12m for a CB?? Hope so, but again 'shocked' wouldn't get anywhere near how I'd feel if we did  :yikes: I'd be delighted too of course (...once the numbness had gone!)

CB, LB, ST next pls

Aye. LB being top priority IMO, as Dummett is utter garbage.

Willems?

I think we still need a LB, and possibly a ST in order to just get someone who is in form you can help sharpen up Mitro and Perez, even a loan signing would do.

Colo is our gaping hole in the squad, but he's captain and he isn't getting dropped and no one is buying him this January, unfortunately we are just going to have to stick with him him until the summer.

The £12Mil was always there. The only difference was that two years ago Ashley didn't need to spend it. Right now his arse is nipping cause he might miss out on biggest jew rush in history.

To be fair IF the new midfield works well and we signed a good striker and center back (which he's assuming) then the squad would look a hell of a lot better.  That doesn't mean McClaren could get it into a European spot of course.

I assume the Saivet and (particularly) Shelvey contracts will have relegation clauses (on the part of both parties)? Shelvey surely won't sign unless he has a relegation release clause, and the club would probably want to be able to reduce his wages in the case of going down? Or have i been playing too much FM?