Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Sorry if this has been covered in the thread previously, but

£12million?!!! :yikes:

Are you having a laugh?  :mike: :mike:

Don't think it's that outlandish given recent fees, including the ones we paid this summer for less proven players from abroad.

Don't think it's that outlandish given recent fees, including the ones we paid this summer for less proven players from abroad.

Not sure what he's actually done to deserve that fee?

Looked decent in a handful of matches?

Lewis Grabban has just gone for £8m; a player who I'd wager that 90% of non-FM playing fans will have never heard of.

£12m for an England international with loads of PL experience for the age of 23 in this current day and age is a pretty low fee.

Not sure what he's actually done to deserve that fee?

Looked decent in a handful of matches?

Well yeah [emoji38]

Tbf I'm wary as well, given what the Swansea fans are saying. But what he's done so far, especially considering the England games where he looked very handy, warrants this fee these days imo.

Guest firetotheworks

£12 million is pretty cheap considering the market. It's not that long ago that Liverpool were paying over £20 million for Jordan Henderson and Adam Lallana.

Another way to look at it is that Thauvin cost £13m. He'd done okay but isn't much of an international or proven to a high level. I'm all for giving Thauvin more chances but I'm just thinking of the fees relatively and thinking it's fair enough to pay what we have for Shelvey.

This is one of those win win deals for everyone. Fans don't care about Ashley's money and rightly so, Swansea get a good fee for a player who is unhappy there and we have to gamble on improving our poor central midfield.

Guest Roger Kint

Its also £12m that we have given to a relegation rival for a player not in their starting 11

Makes no difference, they must already have shit loads sitting there they didnt spend in the summer from TV cash/Bony sale.

Shelvey  :lol:  we're completely f***ed man

You don't think he's far better than what we have?  I've never been his biggest fan (partly because he seems like a right tosser at times).  But he at least does have undoubted ability, even if he's inconsistent that still puts him way ahead of anyone we have in central midfield.

Not sure how much better, depends on his time of month from what I've seen. He does come across a prima donna tosser and I don't think he'll be any different. He's got the potential to be a right pain in the arse behind the scenes.

I think we have to realise that having 11 'nice-guys' on the pitch doesn't get us results. We need to grow up/mature as an organisation and be able to deal with prima donnas/'personalities'. Had we been able to do so, we would've kept Ben Arfa on the pitch and in the club.

Shelvey can run forward, make good passes in the final third and give us an occasional long range effort. Three things we don't have in our midfield currently. Dealing a prima donna is a small price to pay for these attributes.

When he wants to.

As Dave said - England international, low price - something is wrong somewhere.

Might just be that he wants to play for a big name club again. Must be pretty hard to go from Liverpool to Swansea.

There's a highlights video from this season on Youtube that looks quite encouraging. Always has his head up when he's on the ball and his first thought is always to carry the ball forward or ping it out to the wide players or hit the striker. Think he will do well for us.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-selling-jonjo-shelvey-10720219

Sorry if posted before, but doesn't inspire confidence: "Always looks for the spectacular/ the hollywood pass", "Match of the Day player", "Poor attitude", "Blames others", "Hasn't improved since he arrived"

Assuming that isn't a hollywood pass back to the keeper its an improvement on what we have :lol:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-selling-jonjo-shelvey-10720219

Sorry if posted before, but doesn't inspire confidence: "Always looks for the spectacular/ the hollywood pass", "Match of the Day player", "Poor attitude", "Blames others", "Hasn't improved since he arrived"

I hope he proves me wrong but I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of these comments soon.

I hope he proves me wrong but I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of these comments soon.

One of the criticisms is that he was always looking for Hollywood passes rather than keeping it simple. Maybe we should do a swap deal with Colback, he sounds right up their street.

One of the criticisms is that he was always looking for Hollywood passes rather than keeping it simple. Maybe we should do a swap deal with Colback, he sounds right up their street.

"One of the criticisms"

Hopefully does well, certainly has more ability than our current central midfielders. We're never the side to sort out any indiscipline or mentality issues for him though :lol:

Yep, my biggest worry is his mentality. If he's prone to sulking or not mentally tough then it's definitely the wrong place to come.

£12mill isn't that much, there is always a premium for being English and a proven Premier League player. Fulham paid £11mill for Ross McCormack so this is quite cheap in comparison

Also who on earth gives a crap about the money, as long as we improve the team/squad I could not care about the exact fee