Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I genuinely believe he's shit. Can't move, shit for brains. A decent PL midfielder that does not make.  Rafa doesn't pick him ahead of Jack fucking Colback. £80k a week? I'm offended. Get this cunt out.

He's not shit like, it's just you have to build your side around him. Which we never really had the chance to do given the predicament we were in. The guy can clearly ping a pass, yes he has mobility issues, but you get someone to do his legwork, and then you would see the best of him .

I genuinely believe he's s***. Can't move, s*** for brains. A decent PL midfielder that does not make.  Rafa doesn't pick him ahead of Jack f***ing Colback. £80k a week? I'm offended. Get this c*** out.

He's not s*** like, it's just you have to build your side around him. Which we never really had the chance to do given the predicament we were in. The guy can clearly ping a pass, yes he has mobility issues, but you get someone to do his legwork, and then you would see the best of him .

You can't build your side around someone that doesn't know what they're doing at CM, unless they are way better than the opposition (in the Champ perhaps this is true). You can have a wild card winger, striker or 10 but not CM.

He has more than mobility issues, he has no idea what to do. Xabi Alonso has mobility issues, same with the likes of Tugay & Carrick but they where all intelligent footballers. Shelvey is not. No idea what to do when not in possession and can't even react by running. Add lazyness too.

Yes he can pass but that's it. Everything else is League 1 standard.

Unless he drastically improves his attitude and understanding of a CM, I want him to leave.

I don't think Rafa fancies him anyway. As said - Colback is preferred.

I genuinely believe he's s***. Can't move, s*** for brains. A decent PL midfielder that does not make.  Rafa doesn't pick him ahead of Jack f***ing Colback. £80k a week? I'm offended. Get this c*** out.

He's not s*** like, it's just you have to build your side around him. Which we never really had the chance to do given the predicament we were in. The guy can clearly ping a pass, yes he has mobility issues, but you get someone to do his legwork, and then you would see the best of him .

You can't build your side around someone that doesn't know what they're doing at CM, unless they are way better than the opposition (in the Champ perhaps this is true). You can have a wild card winger, striker or 10 but not CM.

He has more than mobility issues, he has no idea what to do. Xabi Alonso has mobility issues, same with the likes of Tugay & Carrick but they where all intelligent footballers. Shelvey is not. No idea what to do when not in possession and can't even react by running. Add lazyness too.

Unless he drastically improves his attitude and understanding of a CM, I want him to leave.

That's shite. He's played for England in the past six months. He just wasn't what we needed at the time. You keep on the hyperbole train though.

That's s****. He's played for England in the past six months. He just wasn't what we needed at the time. You keep on the hyperbole train though.

The Mighty England. 

In games where we have loads of the ball and he's motivated, he's great aye.  Can spend all game pinging passes.  So can Charlie Adam. 

He was also sold by a team in the relegation zone.  Displayed a lack of professionalism playing for them too.

His first game for us he was terrific, sprayed the ball around like Glenn Hoddle but after that I don't know what happened.  I think he would rip teams to shreds in the championship so long as he had players working their nuts off around him

His first game for us he was terrific, sprayed the ball around like Glenn Hoddle but after that I don't know what happened.  I think he would rip teams to shreds in the championship so long as he had players working their nuts off around him

He was also good agains West Brom and the only one who looked arsed against Bournemouth. Would be a very big asset in the championship- Danny Guthrie ran the show last time.

That's s****. He's played for England in the past six months. He just wasn't what we needed at the time. You keep on the hyperbole train though.

The Mighty England. 

In games where we have loads of the ball and he's motivated, he's great aye.  Can spend all game pinging passes.  So can Charlie Adam. 

He was also sold by a team in the relegation zone.  Displayed a lack of professionalism playing for them too.

Have to agree to an extent with TCD here. He's a Hollywood player, we might get away with him in the Championship but not the PL. Too many of his team mates need to cover his inadequacies for not much benefit. Can't believe he was made captain.

The Mighty England. 

Have to agree to an extent with TCD here. He's a Hollywood player, we might get away with him in the Championship but not the PL. Too many of his team mates need to cover his inadequacies for not much benefit. Can't believe he was made captain.

Tugay never had a mobility problem either, maybe in his late 30s he did. I've said he wasn't what we needed but to utilize him properly, you need someone to do his legwork, like Ardiles used to do for Hoddle. To write him off as a shit central midfielder, despite him doing so at International level, is hyperbolic and ridiculous in equal measures.

Nah, it's not mate.

Ardiles did that for Hoddle in a completely different era although I do see the similarities.

I just think that he's essentiall a waste of a place, we could get some more effective who would contribute more to the final result and doesn't need a babysitter. I'm thinking someone in Rob Lee mould.

The Mighty England. 

Tugay never had a mobility problem either, maybe in his late 30s he did. I've said he wasn't what we needed but to utilize him properly, you need someone to do his legwork, like Ardiles used to do for Hoddle. To write him off as a s*** central midfielder, despite him doing so at International level, is hyperbolic and ridiculous in equal measures.

I just remember Tugay barely being able to move playing for Blackburn in the early 00's. Struggled to think of more good but immobile CM's with good passing ranges. 

Glen Hoddle was a world class talent. 2 footed and could score. Jonjo can play a good through ball.  Dassit. 

Glenn Hoddle was clearly a far better version of Shelvey. But we're talking about one of England's finest ever midfielders in Hoddle. Shelvey is a similar type of player, not in the same class obviously as Hoddle, but neither is he shit.

Shelvey's sole talent is the ability, given plenty of time and space, to spot and then hit crisply and accurately a long pass. It's a considerable talent, and we don't have anyone else in the squad who is similarly capable, but it's barely enough to make a footballer never mind a team. His short passing in the midfield is sloppy because, as with everything he does, it is compromised by slow thought and slow feet. His long range shooting is nothing special, and he doesn't have the legs to get into good attacking positions - in the last couple of seasons, having played the same number of games, Jack Colback has scored more goals than him.

Defensively he doesn't have a clue and puts in zero effort, but infuriatingly points at others telling them to do what he won't. For me he's our worst central midfielder by some margin, an absolute drain in terms of his attitude, and comparisons to Danny Guthrie's success in our last Championship season miss the mark because their games couldn't be more opposed, Guthrie's all about recycling the ball and proactive short passes, Shelvey's about halting the play and hoping a long punt pays off. His appointment as captain was McClaren shamefully clutching at straws, Swansea restructured but never looked back after he left, and of all the inept, disinterested, and underperforming players in our squad this season, Shelvey and Taylor were the only two Benitez dropped.

His short passing is also good, like. And you can't teach the vision he has. The ball for Perez against Bournemouth being a prime example. His close-range dribbling is also good, as are his set pieces. He's poor defensively and not the most mobile (but I don't think he's as bad as being made out to be, on that front) but he's still a very decent technical footballer who will piss the Champ. With the right state of mind and in a system that suits him, he'll perform in the PL. 

His short passing is also good, like. And you can't teach the vision he has. The ball for Perez against Bournemouth being a prime example. His close-range dribbling is also good, as are his set pieces. He's poor defensively and not the most mobile (but I don't think he's as bad as being made out to be, on that front) but he's still a very decent technical footballer who will p*ss the Champ. With the right state of mind and in a system that suits him, he'll perform in the PL. 

Agreed he'd do well in the champ but he needs to massively improve for the prem, which won't happen on recent evidence

I think it's clear he's a bit of a luxury player at this point in his career, and the fact that he's not a goalscoring luxury player means he's even more of a luxury player given how pivotal a hard working CM is to being a good side.

However, I think there's scope for significantly improving his output by simply improving those around him. With our current crop of strikers pinging perfect balls over the top isn't as useful a weapon as it ought to be given the general lack of pace in our frontline (Cisse always offside and has no pace anyway, Mitrovic is slow and thick, Perez has decent movement but that's about it). Our wingers don't really make runs in behind either. At the same time, his defensive flaws are exacerbated by us having as porous a defense as you can get (until the last few games anyway). Improve in these areas, as we need to naturally irrespective of Shelvey, and Jonjo becomes a more useful midfielder.

Although he's not worth £12m, if we got back into the Premiership he's the sort of central midfielder you'd want on paper as an immediate backup to a first team pairing or in rotation (discounting the possible poor attitude of course). At home against weaker teams where we're likely to dominate he'll be able to provide the passes that will win games, although again that's only if the players on the receiving end are able to make use of those balls. With respect to his attitude problems, whilst I won't deny that they may exist I do think in this sport many fans are quick to come out with this kind of nonsense about perfectly good players on the basis of very little (e.g. the "Fatem" tag), especially once a reputation has developed (e.g. Anelka - this club would be in an entirely different state of we had signed that "poisonous" Frenchman instead of "great guy" Owen). I don't think writing him off on the basis of very little evidence of said attitude problems is entirely fair right now. On top of that there's always the possibility that under the right management he could change, or his ego be managed appropriately. It could also be that he simply hasn't been fit enough since joining NUFC, and that a better training regime over the summer might produce a more well-rounded central midfielder.

The bottom line for me is that the guy can pick a pass, especially a forward/through pass. Not many CM's in the Premiership can (let's forget the Championship), and we've had ample CM's over the past decade or two who were garbage on the ball and only good at passing it sideways. I'd say since joining the Premiership only Lee and Cabaye were genuinely good forward passers we've had capable of splitting a defense with a great pass, and to a lesser extent Speed (and at a stretch Emre too). On the basis of this talent alone I'd want us to try whatever we can to get the best out of him, give him time, adopt a glass half full approach instead of a glass half empty. If it doesn't work out because he's an egotistical prick who can't change his ways then so be it, but at least we'll have tried to nurture troubled talent instead of dumping it at the first opportunity.

He's a talented footballer. His attitude f***ing stinks.

If only there was some sort of evidence of this before we bought him.

Like refusing to sit on the bench or visibly not trying and passing to opposition when under no pressure having a strop because he was dropped for a few games.

He's not s*** like, it's just you have to build your side around him. Which we never really had the chance to do given the predicament we were in.

That's what Monk tried to do, build the team around Shelvey

Guest neesy111

You build a team around very good players, shelvey on his day is a good player but you can't be building teams around him.