Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

He just doesn't seem to fit into the Rafa system at all in the 2 man CM pairing. He's not a defensive midfielder, he's not a mobile box to box midfielder, and he lacks positional discipline to play in the system IMO.

He's going to struggle for sure. Might work his way in if we demonstrate we can control possession, but that's a hell of a long way off.

Wonder if you move forward with pushing Sissoko back into a CM role next to a new more mobile defensive midfielder. You then free up to play a more natural #10 and sign a genuine LW and a mobile striker? Ain't a clue, but I think Sissoko and Townsend (and more-so the latter) have the best claim at being a starter than anyone else in our team in attack going forward.

Sulked off straight down the tunnel at the final whistle, obviously not very happy. Perez did aswell to be fair.

TVs had Rafa with an arm around Perez talking to him from what likely was a mistake on his part on a counter attack that led to Palace pouring men forward on an attack...

Rafa said he did that because Perez dropped his head and Rafa was simply telling him not to worry about things like that; mistakes happen

Yeah, so he didn't just go sulking down the tunnel :lol:

Sulked off straight down the tunnel at the final whistle, obviously not very happy. Perez did aswell to be fair.

TVs had Rafa with an arm around Perez talking to him from what likely was a mistake on his part on a counter attack that led to Palace pouring men forward on an attack...

Rafa said he did that because Perez dropped his head and Rafa was simply telling him not to worry about things like that; mistakes happen

So refreshing after Lasagne face and Pards would happily throw their players under the bus. Literally the bloke can't do a thing wrong. Just oozes class.

Yeah, so he didn't just go sulking down the tunnel :lol:

Alreet man, I just seen him with his head down heading towards the tunnel so assumed.

Don't think Shelvey can play as a #10, he'll get no time on the ball there and would take away his main attribute of passing from deep. I think unless we're dominating possession and they are standing off our midfield, like West Ham did for the first 45 minutes at SJP, then he can play, but he's not mobile enough to play in the other games and right now I'd much prefer Colback

To write him off would be a mistake I think. Gotta work with him over the summer and see if you can improve his discipline, his ability to pick a pass is too good to just throw away

He's going to have to sharpen up his defensive midfield game a lot to fit in to Rafa's plans. And that's just to be in the side, not specifically as a DM, he has to be able to some resistance in the middle. Currently he's about as effect as a carrier bag blowing in the wind at stopping opposition players running at us.

Terrible signing, he has bags of abaility in terms of passing but when we don't have the ball (which is the majority of most games) he just prances around like a tit, is about as mobile as a special olympic sprinter and has little or no physical presence despite the fact that he looks like a white version of Magic Johnson.

The fact he's on a hefty long term contract will make it very difficult to offload him.. who would even pay half of what we did?

Tiote has done well since he came back into the fold, i'd keep him on unless we can sign a top defensive midfielder.

He might look good in the Dutch league where he'd get time to stroll around and pick passes. He's got loads of ability but looks awful when we are trying to win back possession.

• 2 weeks later...

He was useless for us but I'm willing to give him another chance. He could be brilliant for us in the Championship. Worth the 80k if he bosses the midfield and helps us get back up at the first attempt.

He was useless for us but I'm willing to give him another chance. He could be brilliant for us in the Championship. Worth the 80k if he bosses the midfield and helps us get back up at the first attempt.

He's shit man. Might be able to do it in the Champo but he's still shit. And will never cut it in the PL imo

On the plus side he will probably destroy the league if he stays

Disagree. His lack of mobility will be just as much of a handicap in the Championship, and it would be relatively easy to negate his effectiveness by man marking him, for instance.

We won't get £70k per week of value out of him when he's, inevitably, playing with inferior footballers.

Couldn't fathom why we paid so much for him when we signed him up. Thought then that he was a lazy shit with a bad attitude and far too much hype and feel like I've been cruelly vindicated since. Cannot for the life of me see how shit like that can command £4m annual salary - but we're lumbered with him now, just like we were with Alan Smith, i.e. no other club is going to be mad/desperate enough to take him off our hands. If he pulls his thumb out of his sphincter, then he could potentially make a difference in the Championship, but that would be like expecting Gazza to come off the booze: you might wish it to happen, but you'd be as well to wish for it to rain strawberry Starburst.