Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

The Swansea improvement is also a bit unfair to cite. He hadn't been playing for them that much when they were doing poorly. Their better results came with a new manager, iirc.

Actually you are wrong, he was ever present until the end of November when he picked up a knock, the next game he was supposed to be on the bench but refused, the next game he played was against Palace where he strolled about and clearly didn't want to be there and after that was the Oxford debacle when he was pulling up his socks watching a 4th division player run past and score.

Not long after that a lot of Swansea fans were celebrating, not believing the luck.

I honestly thought he would help save your season as he can do it if he really tries, I wasn't so confident he would remain mentally with it past the end of the season though.

His first few games were brilliant, I forget who it was we were playing, could have been West Ham, where he made his home debut. He was pinging the ball around like crazy, with pinpoint accuracy. I didn't think much of the signing when we made it for the price we did but those early performances had me second guessing myself.

Something happened though that made that early promise look like a mirage, you still saw the ability to pick out a pass on the odd occasion but it was clear Rafa saw the Tiote/Colback pairing as the only option open to him to help protect that back four.

Bearing in mind that Rafa seems to favour that two holding type CMs to protect, what is currently a very youthful backline, you have to wonder if there is a role for Shlevey in a Rafa team (if he is our manager of course next season). Didn't he have Xabi Alonso at Liverpool though, Shelvey is nowhere near that quality but he plays a similar role as a "Quaterback". I don't know maybe it takes more than a pressure filled 10 game stint to instill a system that can be utilized to make the most of Shelvey's talent.

The Swansea improvement is also a bit unfair to cite. He hadn't been playing for them that much when they were doing poorly. Their better results came with a new manager, iirc.

Actually you are wrong, he was ever present until the end of November when he picked up a knock, the next game he was supposed to be on the bench but refused, the next game he played was against Palace where he strolled about and clearly didn't want to be there and after that was the Oxford debacle when he was pulling up his socks watching a 4th division player run past and score.

Not long after that a lot of Swansea fans were celebrating, not believing the luck.

I honestly thought he would help save your season as he can do it if he really tries, I wasn't so confident he would remain mentally with it past the end of the season though.

:thup:

I thought he'd been dropped in early November.

You can change a young persons mentality like, it's not easy, especially when whatever he does he's set for life, but if Rafa can get into his head and convince him there's so much more he could achieve then maybe he'll  get his head down.

If an offer above 5m with his 80k wages comes in though it would be hard not to just look at other options.

Not the player we need imo.  Its fine launching Hollywood balls if you can do the basics as well but he doesn't seem to be able to.  Coupled with a pretty bad attitude so far I think we're better off rid of him.

Guest Howaythetoon

Paying good money on a watch is a good investment like. Stupid footballer though :lol:

Harsh tbh. He looked fantastic in a couple of games and glimpes but lost in several games , them not used to the rest really

Talent is there consistency wasn't though which wasnt a surprise I'm the team of bottlers and culture we had. If be more worried about Rafa not rating him tbh. If he leaves it's more because he doesn't fit into the system Rafa likes.

More money than sense.

Paid £15K for a watch in Switzerland and failed to declare it at customs at Newcastle Airport and after a tip off was pulled over and had to pay £3K import duty to HMRC.

What sad cunt tips of HMRC that someone is coming in with a watch that they haven't paid tax on?

More money than sense.

Paid £15K for a watch in Switzerland and failed to declare it at customs at Newcastle Sunderland Airport and after a tip off was pulled over and had to pay £3K import duty to HMRC.

What sad c*** tips of HMRC that someone is coming in with a watch that they haven't paid tax on?  a watch on on the way out

Makem, must probably noticed he did have watch on on the way out......

• 1 month later...

Could Pardew not take this cunt off our hands?

Am really struggling to see how he'll fit into Rafa's plans.. unless there's a huge improvement in all areas of his game over the pre season.

I noticed in the last couple of games when he came on Rafa played him behind the front man. If Rafa could get him to master that position it would be ideal. It's where he originally played when he came through at Charlton, he's got a great shot and can really play a through ball, and so if he can settle into that spot it would help the balance of the team. Really don't think he works in a midfield two, if we are playing the 4-2-3-1 Rafa prefers.

I noticed in the last couple of games when he came on Rafa played him behind the front man. If Rafa could get him to master that position it would be ideal. It's where he originally played when he came through at Charlton, he's got a great shot and can really play a through ball, and so if he can settle into that spot it would help the balance of the team. Really don't think he works in a midfield two, if we are playing the 4-2-3-1 Rafa prefers.

To be honest, I've seen enough of his feeble attempts at tracking back. It's not just one or two positions in a team that have to do it so the case for just moving him into the no.10 position doesn't fill me with hope. Far more interested in seeing De Jong finally get a run in the team in that role.

To be honest, I've seen enough of his feeble attempts at tracking back. It's not just one or two positions in a team that have to do it so the case for just moving him into the no.10 position doesn't fill me with hope. Far more interested in seeing De Jong finally get a run in the team in that role.

another player i'd totally forgotten we had

Danny Guthrie and Kevin Nolan, were about as mobile for Neville Southall and Neil Ruddock.  Yet we won the league easily, with that centre midfield pairing for a large chunk of the season.

His lack of mobility and athleticism, won't be such a problem a league down.  He'll get the time on the ball that he needs, as well.  It's why the likes of Barton look brilliant in the Champ and then average as a centre mid, in the prem. 

It sounds cocky and arrogant, but I still think people are overestimating this league.  Hull and Burnley have just bounced straight back and I'd argue we're sitting in a better position than they were this time last year. 

Shelvey has a long way ahead of him to be a decent Premier League player based on what I've seen of him for us. Was surprised at how pathetic he is at defending from the centre, and how he is very slow and gassed easily.

Hopefully Rafa can fix those things, but right now I wish it was Shelvey going to Palace for £13m than Townsend.