Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

He's an upgrade on Colback. So im happy with it. Hope this one happens because his offensive side of his game is positive.

Also if he does well and goes to the euros we'll have one newcastle player for England which is cool :lol:

Like Colback will be dropped man, no way.  :lol:

Guthrie was great before needlessly leaving. He was crucial that season man.

He was crap man. Could hit a decent long range pass, but then would stand there for five seconds admiring it. Had no common sense as a footballer, his movement off the ball was woeful which meant he never actually got the ball in a position to do anything with it.

The fact he's had three clubs since us and done little at any of them speaks volumes.

He's an upgrade on Colback. So im happy with it. Hope this one happens because his offensive side of his game is positive.

Also if he does well and goes to the euros we'll have one newcastle player for England which is cool :lol:

he's an upgrade on our cm options full stop

Guest firetotheworks

He was crap man. Could hit a decent long range pass, but then would stand there for five seconds admiring it. Had no common sense as a footballer, his movement off the ball was woeful which meant he never actually got the ball in a position to do anything with it.

The fact he's had three clubs since us and done little at any of them speaks volumes.

Guthrie wasn't crap like. Limited definitely, but not in any way crap. I don't believe in looking at player's or manager's abilities outside of when they were here anyway because it changes nothing. Guthrie had had very good seasons with us in 09/10 and 11/12 and nothing before or since really changes that.

Guthrie wasn't crap like. Limited definitely, but not in any way crap. I don't believe in looking at player's or manager's abilities outside of when they were here anyway because it changes nothing. Guthrie had had very good seasons with us in 09/10 and 11/12 and nothing before or since really changes that.

That Pardew's doing a good job at Palace.  We should see if we can get him back as manager. 

:thup: short term memories around because we absolutley needed him to step in Cabaye's role and performed when we needed it. Shame his fitness levels were not very good because he was technically a good free kick taker, passer of the ball, and had some good vision too.

Guest firetotheworks

Must be the first time Guthrie and Great have ever been used in the same sentence.

I didn't even say great, I said very good. :lol:

EDIT: Oh right, Kanji did. Carry on.

Must be the first time Guthrie and Great have ever been used in the same sentence.

I didn't even say great, I said very good. :lol:

Aye, I did and that's probably too much praise, but none-the-less Guthrie was a good player for us in those 2 seasons you mentioned.

:thup: short term memories around because we absolutley needed him to step in Cabaye's role and performed when we needed it. Shame his fitness levels were not very good because he was technically a good free kick taker, passer of the ball, and had some good vision too.

Looking back wistfully on Guthrie's time here just shows how starved we've been for quality footballers in the middle over the last decade.

Looking back wistfully on Guthrie's time here just shows have starved we've been for quality footballers in the middle over the last decade.

:lol: don't disagree with that statement to be honest, fuck sake. :lol:

Guthrie was hardly amazing, but he was a reasonably decent player who was more than capable of stepping up and filling in when needed.  After seeing some of the shite that has passed through this place there's no way would I call him crap.  I'd have that season's Guthrie in this team any day over that fucking idiot Colback.

Realistically Shelvey can't be any worse than any of our existing centre mids. Having said that neither can my cat but I wouldn't sign him for £12m either.

Guest firetotheworks

Looking back wistfully on Guthrie's time here just shows how starved we've been for quality footballers in the middle over the last decade.

I liked him at the time, my opinion on him hasn't really changed. Wand of a right foot on free kicks and crosses, neat and tidy, played positively. Slow, poor positionally and poor defensively. He had his positives and negatives. Signing Routledge and moving Guthrie into the middle are the reasons we walked the second half of the Championship season imo and Guthrie stepped in when Cabaye was injured in 11/12 and did an excellent job, just like Best and Ryan Taylor did.

Would usually find it hard to believe that a player would pick McClaren over Pardew but Shelveys worked with that utter cock before so maybes he knows what he'd be getting himself into, european chases or not...

Normally I wouldn't really want him, but our midfield is disgusting so he'd be easily our best CM.  If he gets colback out the team I'll be over the moon

Pretty much this. I know people are worried about the slating he's getting from Swansea fans but IMO that's down to him angling for a move for some time now.

he's an upgrade on our cm options full stop

You and i would have been a upgrade on that pathetic excuse of a CM man.

Not sold on Shelvey at all, never rated him that much. Also, not fancy enough name, if he was named Pedro Gonzales mind...  :drool:  :lol:

I guess i have to wait and see.