Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

unbeaten run :facepalm:

What’s wrong with that? We’ve lost one of the last eight PL games; two of the last ten. Both to Man City (who barely count).

We're 3 wins in 10, one of which against Man United. We've dropped quite a few points across games against teams around us. Terms like 'unbeaten run' is a bit reaching don't you think?

Well, I guess technically we have a four game unbeaten run. But 3 wins, 5 draws and 2 defeats is pretty good recent form--we would have 8 wins, 14 draw and 6 losses if this was our 'average' form for the season (sitting on 38 points, in seventh)--which is how I interpreted Zero's original meaning, i.e. we're doing alright recently and Shelvey has been part of that.

Yep, considering our squad, we are doing well,  if not alright.

We have to understand how shit our options are:

Hayden - no need to explain

Merino - doesn't look as good as early season, may be carrying an injury

Diame - playing great but we all know his form can dip anytime and back to the one we know

So losing a player for that position who is playing well and contributed to our unbeaten run is a huge miss.  I am not Shelvey fans but the truth is we need him now.

Hmm, would say that Shelvey's at the heart of everything we're doing well of late, but sadly also at the heart of everything that's going wrong.

Bossed Man United, but not holding out hope seeing a performance like that for a while over 90mins. Can look brilliant when we are on top, but has nothing about him to arrest situations in games going against us. We're no doubt a better side with him than without, but it shouldn't be overlooked he totally melts away and is a hologram whenever we need to hold on, or control a game (Man U aside).

Last 10 games, he's been pretty anonymous in the majority - which has also coincided in us dropping points in very winnable games.

8a1aafcb6a5fdf627bd395afa9a4c96b.png

Man United, and Bournemouth games - can anyone remember him doing anything of note at all in those games? Personally would be inclined to take Man U out of there, as it's a game of no expectation vs. games where we'd be taking points from direct rivals - to conclude on the whole, he's been fairly bad.

Not saying that there is anyone better to come in, but at same time he shouldn't be void of criticism just because he's deemed the 'best of a bad bunch'.

No one said he is free from any criticism but honestly "hit and miss" is already a plus imo. I even cannot classify Hayden as "hit and miss".

I mean, we only take the lead against Bournemouth because he's playing. Nor Hayden or Merino play that pass.

It still wouldn't have been a goal without Bournemouth basically handing us the goal through terrible defending and goalkeeping.

Shelvey's been decent for 80% of games, but his 20% where he disappears is also costing us. Not that any replacements are likely to be much better at this stage.

Guest neesy111

Pretty obvious that we were sussed after our initial run of good form like.

We'd have probably got similar results but for Lascelles' injury.

A couple of results maybe, but we couldn't hit a barn door doing that awful run minus 2-3 games.

We'd have probably got similar results but for Lascelles' injury.

A couple of results maybe, but we couldn't hit a barn door doing that awful run minus 2-3 games.

I don't think a lot's changed tbh, we scored two against Bournemouth, but they pretty much put them in the net for us. The goal against Man U was the first decent one I've seen us score for a while, and that was from a set piece.

Don't agree with that at all myself, we've never changed the way we've played and we've never really stopped creating chances either. We just stopped taking the chances when we needed them because our strikers are shit.

We were mainly scoring from set pieces which teams cottoned onto, Lascelles won 2 games in a row iirc. Scored 1 since then I think. Ritchie had like 4 or 5 assists.

It just wasn't a sustainable way to win games. And Lascelles isn't Sergio Ramos so it wasn't going to be a regular thing anyway :lol:

Shelvey's obviously in a different class, but it helps that Diame is decent on the ball when he's on form, that gives Jonjo a lot more options in midfield when they are paired together.

Best player in the team. Should be at the WC imo.

Is there a better passer of the ball in the likely England midfield? Not for me there isn't.

No there isn't but being a midfielder is about much more than just passing.

However, he should at least be in consideration. We aren't blessed in that position.

Guest Howaythetoon

2 home games in a row he has absolutely bossed it. Another fine performance. It seems him and Diame need each other...

Best player in the team. Should be at the WC imo.

Is there a better passer of the ball in the likely England midfield? Not for me there isn't.

No there isn't but being a midfielder is about much more than just passing.

However, he should at least be in consideration. We aren't blessed in that position.

100% agreed. I was thinking more in terms of him being an attacking option off the bench offering something the likes of Dier or Henderson can't.