Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

He really wanted that shot against Southampton - he tried to get a yard off his man three times before squaring it to Ritchie. You could see how keen he was to get on the sheet.

His long range shooting is abysmal for someone with his ability though.

He already has 6 England caps so it's not entirely fanciful that he could get called up. Think I prefer it if he doesn't tbh, especially if he's carrying an injury that could use a break over summer.

I don't think he's got a chance of getting in the squad. He should be because even just on merit because he's better than most of the options that will make the squad but Southgate doesn't seem interested. His last comment about him really stuck out of me when he said something like "he wasn't looking for a quarter back" which is a pretty uninformed opinion of Shelvey's game. Throw in a couple of sendings off and him being highlighted on motd the other week and I think it'll be enough to keep him well out of the picture. A shame for him and England.

Beyond funny to me that Jake Livermore, Jack Cork, Lewis Cook, and Ruben Loftus Cheek, James Ward Prowse, etc. get more looks than Shelvey has recently.

He's entirely unreliable but given that crop....

England has some bloody terrible centre midfielders like.

Great last couple of posts, that sum the situation up perfectly.

Beyond funny to me that Jake Livermore, Jack Cork, Lewis Cook, and Ruben Loftus Cheek, James Ward Prowse, etc. get more looks than Shelvey has recently.

I was listening to MOTD2 on Sunday where James Tarkowski was being touted for England ahead of Lascelles :lol:

Would be intrigued to know how many of our games Southgate has actually been to this season.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11288194/pundits-england-world-cup-wildcards

Thompson mentions that he thinks Shelvey should go, no mention from anyone for Lascelles though.

Shelvey is 10/1 fwiw, Lascelles 16/1.

Harry Winks 6/4 ffs :lol:

This sentence just describes how shite we've gotten: "I think there's a place up for grabs for a fourth forward and I could see Callum Wilson getting the edge over Glenn Murray."

:lol:

I wouldn't have any Burnley defenders in the England squad. They are very organised and defenders shine there, but I don't think they're anywhere near good enough on the ball for international football. It's a Shawcross situation all over again.

FWIW, I have similar reservations over Lascelles although he's improved in that department.

How the hell nobody seems to have cottoned on to Lascelles by now I don't know.  We're a completely different side with him in it.

I asked a manyoo and Liverpool fan I was watching the Liverpool game with and they both rated him and thought he should be knocking on the England door.

Is it maybe a Rafa related thing? Press and pundits have never really liked him afaik and he's certainly not getting the credit he deserves for what he's doing this season in the same way Lascelles isn't. Could add Dummett to that even, Shelvey at a push.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think Rafa is generally respected in the media and among former players, what he isn’t is all cuddly or full of anecdotes like some of the other managers are. But by and large I think the overall feeling towards him at Newcastle is that he is doing a very good job, got lots of praise for staying and is considered too good for us. I’d rather the media didn’t gush over him or any of our players by the way.

I wouldn't have any Burnley defenders in the England squad. They are very organised and defenders shine there, but I don't think they're anywhere near good enough on the ball for international football. It's a Shawcross situation all over again.

FWIW, I have similar reservations over Lascelles although he's improved in that department.

Yep. See Johnson & Dann at Birmingham too.