Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

He was having a very good game. It's a constant trade-off with Shelvey, he's the best player on the pitch regularly but has 5 minute lapses of focus; which when playing to such fine margins as we are this season - you often pay for them. For me he still starts every game like, some will disagree with me here and see it more as a 50/50 split, but I believe the good work he does remains to outweigh the bad. What he brings to the table when on it is not found much outside of the top clubs and I treasure it personally.

Saturday suggests it is 50-50 though. Great pass for the first goal is offset because he's not fit enough to track runners.

He was having a very good game. It's a constant trade-off with Shelvey, he's the best player on the pitch regularly but has 5 minute lapses of focus; which when playing to such fine margins as we are this season - you often pay for them. For me he still starts every game like, some will disagree with me here and see it more as a 50/50 split, but I believe the good work he does remains to outweigh the bad. What he brings to the table when on it is not found much outside of the top clubs and I treasure it personally.

Saturday suggests it is 50-50 though. Great pass for the first goal is offset because he's not fit enough to track runners.

Maybe so. He done plenty of other good things in the match though, and whilst the two you have pointed out led to goals for & against, I think what he brings to our general play over the course of 90 minutes is worth something too. He's integral to nearly everything we do offensively and players are always looking to give him the ball, that counts for something I think and shouldn't be erased because of a mistake. Fair play if you see it different though.

No good having someone only capable of 60-70 minutes like. I'd bring Merino in.

I wonder if Rafa is kicking himself for not subbing Shelvey with 20 mins to go? I can only imagine he thought he'd be fit to do the full 90. I think he's going to feel let down by his efforts for those two goals, they cost us a crucial two points.

He should have been subbed after their first goal. He was stood watching his man run off him to score with his hands on his knees, he was knackered. Two days later and I still can’t fathom why Rafa chose to bring Manquillo on for Ritchie instead. We needed legs in midfield, Merino was the clear call.

He should have been subbed after their first goal. He was stood watching his man run off him to score with his hands on his knees, he was knackered. Two days later and I still can’t fathom why Rafa chose to bring Manquillo on for Ritchie instead. We needed legs in midfield, Merino was the clear call.

Moar Leftbacks, innit. No More Goalz. Rafalan Parditez.

It was Ritchie's man who scored the first goal

It was Ritchie's man who scored the first goal

Badly worded, Ritchie is on the chase throughout the move, Shelvey can see Smith run into the space and does nothing. It’s done and dusted now but it was a poor substitution.

In the final seconds of a match, when virtually all of his teammates are in our box desperately trying to see the game out he should be doing he same. I don't care what position he's playing. He's a midfielder and started the game there, it's not good enough to just switch off responsibility because he's at number 10 or whatever. As a midfielder he should be thinking about where he would want to be and tracking the opposition.

It may have made no difference whatsoever so it's not a case of simply blaming him for the result. It just wasn't good enough from him, as rightly pointed out on MOTD.

:thup: Let's not forget that one of the most important moments of the Man U win was Gayle's double block when back helping defend for our lives.

Even if Shelvey was shifted to a No 10 role, I don't think Rafa would've told him not to worry about defending because of that, and I don't believe Shelvey is that thick to think otherwise himself.

Gayle's were completely different, like. He was in positon to defend a corner.

Funny how there's people still cracking on about ben arfa who disappeared in many more games than he was any good and never tracked a runner in his life.

:lol: p*ss off, you blatant WUM.

I beginning to think you most of you on here are seriously deluded. The statement is absolutely correct. Harping on about Shelvey not working hard enough, not tracking and creaming your pants over Ben Arfa is such a double standard.

Perez's miss was as bad if not far worse than Shelvey's and yet its getting nowhere near the attention. Probably because people know Perez is shite but the clique on here don't want to come out and say it in case it upsets somebody.

There's a difference between calling it as it is and being a WUM.