Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

At least he still wanted the ball. That's about it.

I'll give him that - also there was zero movement - he had nothing to pass to in the 1st half.  When Mitro came on he feed a couple of decent balls to him.

As bad a central midfield display as I've ever seen in our colours. And I include Nicky Butt in that.

What the absolute fuck are you on about? :lol: Ignoring the couple times he basically had Mitro in on goal with 50 odd yard passes

Guest reefatoon

As bad a central midfield display as I've ever seen in our colours. And I include Nicky Butt in that.

What the absolute f*** are you on about? :lol: Ignoring the couple times he basically had Mitro in on goal with 50 odd yard passes

Sounds like you are ignoring the other 92 minutes and 50 seconds when he was utter garbage.

What the absolute f*** are you on about? :lol: Ignoring the couple times he basically had Mitro in on goal with 50 odd yard passes

Sounds like you are ignoring the other 92 minutes and 50 seconds when he was utter garbage.

Aye :thup: 

I'm totally baffled how anyone can watch that from Shelvey and come out with things like worse than the worst of Nicky Butt.

He wasn't amazing but fuck me, some of the shite that gets bandied around this forum after matches.

Guest reefatoon

I wouldn't single Shelvey out tbh. He was poor, like everyone, but Wijnaldum was far, far worse.

Yep, Wijnaldum is a massive worry, just goes completely  missing away from home.

Like many of our player, when pressed and with little time on the ball he looks utter shite.

My impression of the match was that Everton pressed well and in numbers better than we were able to make ourselves availble...im not saying Shelvey didn't play good, but a lot of times he didn't really have any options.

Also, only his third match for us, in a struggling side, with a sub-par manager.

He made couple of good forward passes to Mitro, but lost the ball easily many times. The problem is he is looking to play it forward all the time and there was no movement from Perez and Gini. it changed when Mitro came on obviously.

He was crap, but he must be wondering why he came here.  At least Swansea have some kind of style and set way of playing.  We just put 11 out on the pitch and hope something happens.  There was absolutely nothing on most of the night.  Apart from the long ball.  He actually managed two beauts through to Mitro, TBF.

A lot of people were saying he's a 1 in 4 player and looks for the Hollywood ball all the while.  Well he may have to keep looking for that perfect, 1 in 10 pass.  As there is fuck all else happening.

We need to get a sense of perspective. If you'd prefer Jack Colback completing 95% of his passes to the fullbacks then so be it. If we bring in someone creative who's been asked to play risky, forward passes you need to accept that some may go astray. It doesn't help him in the slightest that Wijnaldum was hiding for most of the 90, Perez unable to hold the ball up and Sissoko holding hands with his marker on the right wing.

Guest ManDoon

That's fine but his lack of effort and stupid fouls is not the fault of others. He was misplacing simple passes, had that ridiculous shot when we were in a decent position.

He was very good on his home debut and he awful last night. Don't think it's unfair to say that.

He made 2 fouls in the whole game ffs, both when asked to play DM in the second half. Lack of effort I just don't see how you can level that at him. I know you're no Colback fan but you're basically criticising Shelvey for the exact opposite that we criticise Colback for. Pick your poison.

I didn't watch all of last night but, if we're going to sign a player for whom passing is their greatest strength you do need the other half of that to be functioning. He does NEED people to pass to. The movement was so bad yesterday and Everton had been tactically set up well to reduce our options. We didn't look like we had had any discussions on how to deal with this. Very, very poor preparation from us.

Guest ManDoon

He made 2 fouls in the whole game ffs, both when asked to play DM in the second half. Lack of effort I just don't see how you can level that at him. I know you're no Colback fan but you're basically criticising Shelvey for the exact opposite that we criticise Colback for. Pick your poison.

Yeah I'd have him in the team over Colback even on last nights performance. I don't think I'm criticising him for the exact opposite, he didn't play well last night. I don't think he's a bad player at all, he was class on his debut and he was bad last night. That's literally all I'm saying.