Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

this retrospective ban speculation is surely paper bollocks right?  his arm never touched him :lol:

close shave might wake him up a bit like so we don't have to lose him for 3 games at a crucial stage like we did mitro

Even if it did, when the ref talked to him and Valencia after the melee had taken place he intimated that he'd seen it and that he considered it no more than a collision and motioned with his hands as such.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/georginio-wijnaldum-jonjo-shelvey-brings-10747690

Georginio Wijnaldum believes Jonjo Shelvey “brings football” to the Newcastle United side because he sees everything out on the pitch.

The £12million January signing from Swansea City enjoyed an inspired Magpies debut at St James’ Park on Saturday, controlling the game and playing a key role in both Newcastle goals in a much-needed 2-1 victory over West Ham United.

For Newcastle’s opener, Shelvey fed the ball into Wijnaldum on the edge of the box, and the Dutchman laid it off for Ayoze Perez to curl into the bottom corner from 18 yards.

But his contribution for the second was even more impressive.

Picking the ball up in his own half, Shelvey saw Daryl Janmaat making a run down the right-hand side and pinged an inch-perfect 60-yard cross-field ball to the full-back. Janmaat controlled it brilliantly, centred to Wijnaldum, who finished off a wonderful team goal.

And Wijnaldum – who grabbed his ninth of the season on Saturday – believes Shelvey has already made a big difference to the Magpies side due to his vision and range of passing.

“He brings football,” Wijnaldum replied when asked what he thought Shelvey added to the side.

“What you can see in the first goal, the other players were really close but he still found me between the lines.

“I just popped off the ball for Ayoze to shoot.

“The second goal his pass to Daryl was magnificent. That is something that we need.

“We can use a player like him.

“We already know he is a good player because I played against him.

“We are all happy he is here because he can bring more football to the team.”

Not only does Wijnaldum believe Shelvey has added a new dimension to Newcastle’s play, the £14.5million summer signing also admits he finds it more enjoyable with the England international in the side.

Shelvey’s arrival has also given the whole side a confidence boost too, insists the Dutch international.

“Yeah it’s really enjoyable (playing with Shelvey)” the 25-year-old said.

“You know he sees everything. You don’t even have to look behind you and he will find you. He gives confidence to the players and to me.

“The first goal we made I stood there and expected him to find me and he did. I trusted him. I am happy with him.”

Maybe we've signed Charles Xavier by mistake.

A 70 year old shelvey recalls his time with newcastle and gini wijnaldum. http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m74cm0UdN21rt8apco1_r3_250.gif

Not sure if Giggs, but good read  :)

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/10134291/jonjo-shelvey-its-been-easy-to-fit-in-at-newcastle

Jonjo Shelvey: It's been easy to fit in at Newcastle

Jonjo Shelvey says fitting into the Newcastle side has been "easy" because of the spirit among the players at the club.

The midfielder ended what he described as a "perfect" week on Tyneside with a priceless victory which breathed new life into the Magpies' Premier League survival bid.

Saturday's 2-1 home win over West Ham, which came four days after a hard-fought 3-3 draw with Manchester United at St James' Park, lifted Newcastle out of the bottom three, for the time being at least, and created a new sense of optimism on Tyneside.

That was in part due to the impact made by £12m debutant Shelvey, who injected fresh impetus into a team which had previously struggled going forward.

The 23-year-old England international played a part in both his side's goals, and although he was later involved in an unseemly spat with Hammers striker Enner Valencia, it was a day to remember.

"It's an easy place to come and play football, to be honest with you," Shelvey told nufcTV. "The fans are behind you, there are some tremendous players in that dressing room.

"It normally takes a little bit of time for players to settle, but I felt right at home.

The players were reading my passes very well and people were getting into position, so it was just easy. I thought it would be a lot harder than it has been this week, but it has been perfect.

Jonjo Shelvey

"The players were reading my passes very well and people were getting into position, so it was just easy. I thought it would be a lot harder than it has been this week, but it has been perfect.

"It was a massive win. It's been a great week for the club - it was a great point against Manchester United and we have followed it up with a massive win against West Ham.

"It was a perfect performance, I think, in the first half. We started really well, pressed the ball and they rarely played out from the back. We showed real intent and got our two early goals."

It was Shelvey who paved the way for Ayoze Perez's sixth-minute opener when his pass was expertly laid off by Georginio Wijnaldum for the former Tenerife frontman to curl an inch-perfect shot past keeper Adrian's outstretched arm.

But the raking cross-field ball from which full-back Daryl Janmaat set up Wijnaldum for his ninth goal of the season nine minutes later was even better and left head coach Steve McClaren purring.

Shelvey said modestly: "It's quite an easy pass to make. Daryl makes those forward runs all the time - he's a very advanced full-back - and if he keeps making those runs, I'll always try to find him."

Shelvey and Valencia came together off the ball seven minutes before the break with the striker going to ground, but McClaren later dismissed the clash as a bout of "handbags" and is expecting to hear no more about it.

I was so sure they were going to find a way to ruin that result for us by banning the guy. Thanks goodness that's not the case.

it sounds paranoid but I feel like they're always blowing our "incidents" way out of proportion, like they'll receive snide satisfaction out of someone getting into trouble over nothing

Yup. It's really annoying.

Was there any talk of a retrospective ban on Huth for that elbow on Kozack?

Because that was far more of an 'incident'!

Think the difference was that one was on the ball and the ref waved play on at the time. Although Swarbrick mopped up after the Shelvey/Valencia incident, he didn't actually see it and it was technically off the ball. Never going to ban him though as although it was a cycnical foul to stop a player breaking into the box had the ball been released - if the ref had seen it it would only have been a free-kick and possibly, just possibly a yellow. There was no elbow and the FA will not retrospectively rule on fouls and yellows, only serious foul play.

Maybe it's just me noticing it because it's us, but I cannot remember any other incidents of the media calling for a player to be banned over a shoulder barge like. It's completely new to me.

Cos it fits their Shelvey narrative.  Simple as.

I was so sure they were going to find a way to ruin that result for us by banning the guy. Thanks goodness that's not the case.

it sounds paranoid but I feel like they're always blowing our "incidents" way out of proportion, like they'll receive snide satisfaction out of someone getting into trouble over nothing

I see your point, especially when you see Fellaini elbowing opponents every week and never a word said.

Maybe it's just me noticing it because it's us, but I cannot remember any other incidents of the media calling for a player to be banned over a shoulder barge like. It's completely new to me.

NUFC fucking up has developed as a long-running saga which provides entertainment for the media and fans of other clubs. Shelvey getting a ban after excelling on his debut would fit the script.

Guest antz1uk

same with that prick Ray Stubbs when Cabaye was done retrospectively, Brighton i think was it?

same with that prick Ray Stubbs when Cabaye was done retrospectively, Brighton i think was it?

Wasn't that Keys? Could've been Stubbs. Both pricks mind.

Shelvey will not face FA disciplinary action following his off-the-ball clash with West Ham’s Enner Valencia at the weekend.  An independent panel of three former referees yesterday reviewed the incident and decided it was not worthy of a red card.