PLEASE ALL READ: Forum donations

Dave

That seems a bit pricey - dedicated server?

Yeah, we've had one for years now. During matches the load gets pretty high, one of our previous hosters (when we had a lower spec) actually registered on here to try and diagnose why it kept going down at weekends. IIRC he said how we use it is ridiculous and completely unsuited to this forum software etc. :lol:

Quite surprised at this place using a dedicated server... even more surprised at the previous Hosts claims about this software.

Can you not 'Rent' out some of the space on your Dedi for some other simple Websites to us? Could raise some extra income?

Anyway, I will donate when I get Paid...

Basically when a NUFC match is on (or the World Cup etc) the number of posts and views/refreshes hammers the fuck out of the server. Think he said he effectively use it as a chat room, which it isn't really designed for. We're running an i5 with 16GB of RAM, can't remember the specifics right now.

Anyway, it runs nicely. Anyone who's been on here a long time will know that's a relatively recent thing. :lol:

Many thanks for all the donations so far! :thup:

I'm going to PM you Dave so can i donate £50 without Paypal nicking any.

I wanted to echo what James said, if you can set up a standing order/subscription type that would be a good thing i would think. I would hazard a guess a lot of us could spare £2 a month easier than they could £20/30's in one go, just a thought.

Bump this thread on 1st of Feb please Dave and I would be happy to donate.

As an alternative have you considered asking for standing orders. I for one would be happy to pay £2 a month, find another 40 like me, then that is your monthly costs sorted at a more sustainable rate.

People are more than welcome to do that if they wish, the option for recurring donations is on the PayPal page or you could do it via your bank. I never specifically suggest it because I don't want anyone to feel under pressure to keep it going indefinitely, or for it to feel like a subscription. Also, as explained in the OP I'm not entirely comfortable with the same relatively small number of people paying for it all.

I'm a little puzzled by the costs in all honesty, you could get a fixed-ip address from a company like PlusNet for a nominal fee and for a lot less than £80 a month you could sort yourself out a proper server and host it all in-house, so to speak ^_^ I mean, my current desktop is quite old now (about 6 years or so), i7, 24gb DDR3 RAM, should be able to host this site for example. Could even get a UPS hooked up to it or a failover server in a mate's house :lol:

Just curious if you've looked about elsewhere or outside the box, so to speak.

I don't give it a s*** how much it costs or how it's set up behind the scenes, this place is the best looking forum out there and I'm more than happy to contribute towards it.

Here here, the lack of adverts is a godsend and worth every penny of my contribution

Basically when a NUFC match is on (or the World Cup etc) the number of posts and views/refreshes hammers the fuck out of the server. Think he said he effectively use it as a chat room, which it isn't really designed for. We're running an i5 with 16GB of RAM, can't remember the specifics right now.

Anyway, it runs nicely. Anyone who's been on here a long time will know that's a relatively recent thing. :lol:

Many thanks for all the donations so far! :thup:

I can donate an actual server if you need one, if your renting yours off someone. Its a xenon quad and 8gb ram. Its just sitting around at work. Think its worth about £300. 

I'm a little puzzled by the costs in all honesty, you could get a fixed-ip address from a company like PlusNet for a nominal fee and for a lot less than £80 a month you could sort yourself out a proper server and host it all in-house, so to speak ^_^ I mean, my current desktop is quite old now (about 6 years or so), i7, 24gb DDR3 RAM, should be able to host this site for example. Could even get a UPS hooked up to it or a failover server in a mate's house :lol:

Just curious if you've looked about elsewhere or outside the box, so to speak.

I'll PM you later, but the biggest problem IIRC is the bandwidth we use.

I don't give it a shit how much it costs or how it's set up behind the scenes, this place is the best looking forum out there and I'm more than happy to contribute towards it.

:thup:

Absolutely.

I've chucked some money in. Is it possible to set a regular donation, like a gofundme type thing? I'd be happy to give a couple quid every month.

edit: I don't think I meant gofundme but can't remember the site I did mean. Lot's of YouTubers use it.

Patreon?

I've chucked some money in. Is it possible to set a regular donation, like a gofundme type thing? I'd be happy to give a couple quid every month.

edit: I don't think I meant gofundme but can't remember the site I did mean. Lot's of YouTubers use it.

On the PayPal link there's an option to make it a monthly payment, at least there was on the link I clicked on.