Watford 2-1 Newcastle United 23/1/16 - Post-match reaction from page 28

Greg

I would have just stuck Gouffran in at left back, it's atrocious but it allows us to hopefully continue from where we left off last week where the midfield and attack were in sync.

The thing is in the first half we in the game a lot, but the wing-backs weren't creating anything and there wasn't really a plan B. There was rarely anyone ahead of them to help out and Sissoko and Wijnaldum were lost in the middle.

I'd have done that too, however mental that seems on paper.

Mbemba has played full back numerous times at his previous club and has even done so for us also.

3-5-2 was a stupid forced move, which was further ridiculous as it meant dropping Perez for Aarons. Madness.

We've had to completely change the system to try and work around this left back problem

No.  No we didn't.

How did we not? He obviously didn't think any of the centre backs could play at left back while keeping the rest of the team the same or I'm guessing he would have done it considering Colback was supposed to play there.

We could have just played somebody at left back and kept the same system.

I'm guessing he would have if there was someone capable of playing there. I could be wrong mind.

Aarons, Mbemba, one of the kids, even Gouffran could have done a job there.  Needlessly disrupting the entire team and system just to accommodate one position is foolish.

Mbemba has played full back numerous times at his previous club and has even done so for us also.

3-5-2 was a stupid forced move, which was further ridiculous as it meant dropping Perez for Aarons. Madness.

did you post this thought before the game or is it hindsight ?

It wasn't even that really, more like 5-4-1/3-6-1 whichever way you want to put it.

I agree but I think McClaren would've got just as much stick for playing Mbemba LB and starting Lascelles.

The moment the line-up was announced I was dreading a 3 CB formation. I've not liked 3-5-2 ever since Pardew made a pathetic attempt at match preparation away to Stoke in 2010-11 season by adopting a 3-5-2 to cope with their style. We got walked over that day 4-0, and I distinctly remember how fragile the backline looked playing together. Unless you have 2 very capable WB's, it's a formation change that needs a lot of practise before implementing into a match.

did you post this thought before the game or is it hindsight ?

I just got in and have been catching up. Very surprised he changed the setup to a 3-5-2. Particularly as it meant dropping someone who just scored last week. Also we lost to them in the cup playing this system. It seems very forced.

I agree but I think McClaren would've got just as much stick for playing Mbemba LB and starting Lascelles.

A flat four was posted in the pre-match thread with Mbemba at LB and people seemed generally happy with it.

Moving one player's position in our tried and tested formation was by far the lesser of two evils.  I doubt people would have given McClaren as much stick if he'd have shoved Mbemba out left.  fwiw, I reckon we'd have had more chance of winning if he had.

Don't know what he was thinking starting Aarons as a) he was very clearly rusty and b) he isn't a wingback.

But he had limited options. I think it would have made perfect sense. He had to play Lascelles anyway right?

Besides Aarons starting today seemed very optimistic, especially ahead of Perez, and in a wing back position.

Really disappointed in the manager today. All the time we were stinking it up earlier int he season he never tried this system, and now we had put together some good performances he starts messing about with it.

But he had limited options. I think it would have made perfect sense. He had to play Lascelles anyway right?

Besides Aarons starting today seemed very optimistic, especially ahead of Perez, and in a wing back position.

Really disappointed in the manager today. All the time we were stinking it up earlier int he season he never tried this system, and now we had put together some good performances he starts messing about with it.

Mbemba had never played FB before he came here. I would've had him there today, tbh.

Our shape wasn't that negative, tbh. Both Aarons and Janmaat's average positions were in their half and only Saivet was near the back 3. We just couldn't find a rhythm, Watford shut down central space very well and pressed us.

Even Championship sides in England will shut down space and press you. It seems a bit pointless spending millions on players if they can't cope with the opposition trying to win the ball.

Our shape wasn't that negative, tbh. Both Aarons and Janmaat's average positions were in their half and only Saivet was near the back 3. We just couldn't find a rhythm, Watford shut down central space very well and pressed us.

Even Championship sides in England will shut down space and press you. It seems a bit pointless spending millions on players if they can't cope with the opposition trying to win the ball.

Stretching the pitch is pretty important, like. They might be internationals but most struggle when there's a lack of space.

So sick of starting matches away from home set up not to concede. What's with all the fucking trepidation? Just fucking go for it! Play like a fucking football team and not like a group of people playing the percentages!! If we're going down let's at least go down fighting for fuck's sake!

If we don't get a good striker we will go down or come very close. Spend money on an in-form striker even if from the championship, not a fat sulking lump like Berahino.

Mbemba had never played FB before he came here. I would've had him there today, tbh.

Yes, he has played full back before.

Yes, he has played full back before.

He said after the game he played FB that he'd never played there before.

This. They kept both Shelvey and Gini very quite in the middle, our two main calls for service. Gini given no room or holes to play 'in the hole'.

Stretching the pitch is pretty important, like. They might be internationals but most struggle when there's a lack of space.

I think that is why we have coaches, to come up with an effective way of using our players to their best ability. Sounds like Watford's manager executed his tactics more successfully.

On train  back from watford. Few obvious observations:

We dont have goals in us away from home at all. Ive seen and played in sides like this one who can dominate games but dont have a striker who elevates teams from average to good. First 15 minutes 9 of our outfield players made them look like a pedestrian side. All very nice and pretty but no cutting edge watford came into the game and despite looking much less fluid (even with out weird formation) had the better chance. Why? Because ighalo and deeney are mobile, hard working and create chances for themselves. Mitro doesnt look mobile enough to play up top on his own. I think he has bags of potential but hes not enough to keep us up currently.

Mcclaren cannot manage games.

Watching the warm ups the only player i saw blackie talking to was thauvin. Cathro had them doing some lovely looking drills at tail end of warm up but before that he looked barely interested. All the french subs looked like the most dejected isolated and half hearted group  pre game. Reminded me of that clique in school who kept to themselves and did things half arsed cos noone was watching or cared