Guilherme Siqueira signs for Valencia on 18 month deal; Lucas Orban to Levante

BeloEmre

Guest neesy111

I always liked Santon and would have him back any day. Sure, he wasn't the best defender but he was so graceful on the ball. Complete opposite of the likes of Dummett.

Dummett can defend though.

I always liked Santon and would have him back any day. Sure, he wasn't the best defender but he was so graceful on the ball. Complete opposite of the likes of Dummett.

Guest neesy111

Well, the first job of a full back is to defend.

Completely depends, some of the best fullbacks were very average defenders.

But I said that in my post.

Used to be.

I'm wondering, my memory is hazy. Did we ever adequately replace Enrique?

No. Best left back we've had since Bernard IMO.

Santon was meant to be Enrique's replacement, but like so many attempts at replacing important players, it was a shite attempt that was never going to work. A, because he was never good enough and B, because he was entirely different sort of full-back to Enrique.

On the whole, we've failed at replacing the majority of our high-profile departures since being promoted. The replacements of those departed since 2011 are particularly messy, whilst persisting with others who should have long been disposed of. That's why the squad is in the state it's in.

Carroll --- Ba (success)

Enrique --- Santon (rubbish), then Haidara (rubbish), then Dummett (rubbish)

Nolan --- Cabaye (success)

Ba --- Remy (fucked off), then Riviere (rubbish), then Mitrovic (4 goals...)

Cabaye --- De Jong (crock), Colback (rubbish), then Shelvey (nowhere near Cabaye)

Debuchy --- Janmaat (okay)

Ben Arfa --- Cabella (rubbish), then Thauvin (rubbish), then Townsend (nowhere near HBA)

Wijnaldum is obviously a very good signing but he didn't really directly replace anyone. He's not like anyone we've had since we came up, I don't think. Purely in terms of finding like-for-like replacements, we've done a shite, shite job.

Lucky as fuck that Perez turned out to be a gem, like.

personally I think Janmaats been quite a bit better than Debuchy and bit harsh to judge Shelvey and Townsend so quickly

Janmaat's better than Debuchy but they have similar weaknesses.

true but I don't think the defensive weakness is quite as bad in Janmaat as it was with Debuchy (still a piss poor defender) and for as many good games as Debuchy had he had as many absolute stinkers where he was nothing but a liability

Ryder now trying to say he'll be back up. I get the feeling their proper in tears over there that they guy they have a massive love in with is going to be dropped and their desperately trying to convince themselves he'll still be starting  :lol:

So Balague saying he has offers from elsewhere and it isn't 100%?  Ryder and Douglas, still maintaining he would only be a backup option and signed to provide cover (how the fuck would they know) :lol:

If he's worse than Paul Dummett at left back, what is the point in signing him? Unless of course, Dummett's injury is worse than first feared.