sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Those two grew-up less than 5 miles apart. Why do people (some) in Jarrow/Tyneside support Sunderland? Is there any rhyme or reason to it? Anybody who says a variant of 'because they are South of the river',  deserves to be verbally chinned.

My dad's from Jarrow, so I could have easily have ended up a mackem.  He ended up following us because his mates supported Newcastle and we'd recently won a load of FA Cups, but it sounds like you could just take your pick back then if you were a jarra lad.

I get that both Burton and Fleetwood were conference sides not so many years ago, but that's irrelevant, both teams have worked hard and deserve to be where they are in the league to use them as bait in an awful attempt at bantz is disrespectful tbh. Neither of us have much bragging rights at the moment, both teams are much better run than either of ours to be where they are on a shoestring.

Cheers, but same query applies really. Beyond family allegiances, what would make you support Sunderland if you're from Tyneside? My curiosity uncovered this from Shields Gazette in 2015:

"... a new geographical locator of Premier League clubs’ followers on the social media site has unearthed how well-followed each team’s accounts are on the micro-blogging site. Newcastle have 541,000 followers compared to SAFC’s 339,000.

And in South Tyneside, the black-and-whites are emphatically on top in the areas of South Shields and Jarrow, with almost 26 per cent and 20 per cent of users following them in those locations. The club are also the most followed in the Washington and Sunderland West constituency. Durham City also belongs to the Magpies, with Sunderland again second. Both clubs also have strong followings abroad, with Newcastle the eighth most followed team in the USA and Australia, Russia, Brazil and Finland. One country Sunderland have more followers in than their nearest and dearest is South Korea, with the Black Cats ninth and the Tynesiders placed 11th."  :lol:

Read more at: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/new-twitter-map-shows-newcastle-has-more-fans-than-sunderland-in-south-tyneside-1-7226206

Guest neesy111

Cheers, but same query applies really. Beyond family allegiances, what would you support Sunderland if you're from Tyneside? My curiosity uncovered this from Shields Gazette in 2011:

"... a new geographical locator of Premier League clubs’ followers on the social media site has unearthed how well-followed each team’s accounts are on the micro-blogging site. Newcastle have 541,000 followers compared to SAFC’s 339,000.

And in South Tyneside, the black-and-whites are emphatically on top in the areas of South Shields and Jarrow, with almost 26 per cent and 20 per cent of users following them in those locations. The club are also the most followed in the Washington and Sunderland West constituency. Durham City also belongs to the Magpies, with Sunderland again second. Both clubs also have strong followings abroad, with Newcastle the eighth most followed team in the USA and Australia, Russia, Brazil and Finland. One country Sunderland have more followers in than their nearest and dearest is South Korea, with the Black Cats ninth and the Tynesiders placed 11th."  :lol:

Read more at: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/new-twitter-map-shows-newcastle-has-more-fans-than-sunderland-in-south-tyneside-1-7226206

I technically live in Sunderland but Washington has slightly more Newcastle fans than Sunderland despite being able to see the SoL from my house.

It's always been the case that when you and your rival club end up in different leagues fans exaggerate the gap by comparing the best teams you'll be playing against to the worst they'll be playing against.  And usually that's either the clubs which have just come down into your new league (Or Man U, Chelsea etc if you're in the premier league) and whoever's coming up from the league below the one they've ended up in.  It's not exactly Chaucer, but it's standard fare and not particularly a slight aimed specifically at Fleetwood.

There's probably teams which will be glad to be playing in the Championship boasting about the fact they get to play Villa and Sunderland (well, maybe not Sunderland) while their local rivals will be playing Crawley.

Those two grew-up less than 5 miles apart. Why do people (some) in Jarrow/Tyneside support Sunderland? Is there any rhyme or reason to it? Anybody who says a variant of 'because they are South of the river',  deserves to be verbally chinned.

South Shields is mainly a mackem area and further up the tyne you go the less mackem supporters you find, so you do get some in Jarrow.

I haven't lived there for 20 years but shields used to be quite even - don't forget Sunderland is closer and just about easier to get to.

I think football has changed over the last few decades but it was almost always an inherited thing when I was a kid rather than what I think is a more free choice nowadays. My dad did used to go and watch both clubs but was defined by who he wanted to see win the derbies which means I'm black and white.

When I started going to away games regularly at the start of the 80s, people from the town or North of the river did used to mock us gently for where we came from but I always felt more at home with tynesiders due to a similar accent rather than with Mackems.

South Shields is mainly a mackem area and further up the tyne you go the less mackem supporters you find, so you do get some in Jarrow.

No way is South Shields mainly a mackem area like, at the very worst its 50/50

To keep it simple just assume everyone South of The Tyne is a mackem. We can forgive the folk in Gateshead because they're connected via the Tyne Bridge amongst others.

Saves all the bickering.

To keep it simple just assume everyone South of The Tyne is a mackem. We can forgive the folk in Gateshead because they're connected via the Tyne Bridge amongst others.

Saves all the bickering.

A lot of our most dedicated supporters are from South of the Tyne mind.

Guest neesy111

Saves all the bickering.

What a heap load of bullshit.

Saves all the bickering.

A lot of our most dedicated supporters are from South of the Tyne mind.

Exactly. Some of us had to endure many a school yard kicking because of our black n white allegiance. Give up south Tyneside to the makems and we're the size of Middlesbrough.

I haven't lived there for 20 years but shields used to be quite even - don't forget Sunderland is closer and just about easier to get to.

I think football has changed over the last few decades but it was almost always an inherited thing when I was a kid rather than what I think is a more free choice nowadays. My dad did used to go and watch both clubs but was defined by who he wanted to see win the derbies which means I'm black and white.

When I started going to away games regularly at the start of the 80s, people from the town or North of the river did used to mock us gently for where we came from but I always felt more at home with tynesiders due to a similar accent rather than with Mackems.

You have to change on the metro if you go to sunderland. Newcastle is straight through. It's still about 50/50 from what I can tell when I drink there.

You have to change on the metro if you go to sunderland. Newcastle is straight through. It's still about 50/50 from what I can tell when I drink there.

Yeah but twenty minutes on a bus.

I always got the impression that South Shields was 40/40, with 20% who swing to who is doing well at the time.

One of my mates who lives in Jarrow says it's about 80% us, and to be honest I think all of of South Tyneside is like that, aside from South Shields.

Another friend who lives in Washington and is a Sunderland season ticket holder says that Washington is a lot more closer than it should be.