sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Probably is true re: the Keegan years. You never used to see many other team shirts in Newcastle back when I was a kid, but they’re all over the place now. We’ve been fairly shite for years so it’s understandable that kids without a family member giving them no choice will gravitate towards the bigger/better teams, the same is probably even more true when it comes to the mackems. If they go down to League 1, God willing, it’ll affect their catchment and attendances for years to come.

This is just the natural order of things, so I enjoy that they’re so bitter about it.

Naive question.  Read on Rtg.

You can't blame kids from Tyneside, mid Durham etc., for dumping us and following the mags . Thousands left us in the nineties and their kids help swell the St. James' gates now .

How much truth is there in this? Appears to be quite a sore point.. the Keegan side. Comes up a lot.

(Not from the North East. )

There's a bit of truth in it tbf.

When I was at school in the 70s, my home Boldon was about 70-30 in favour of the makems. In the Keegan and terrible makem team era you didnt see or hear from a makem, everywhere you went there were black n white shirts. It's settled to about 60-40 in their favour now, but if their spectacular downfall continues and we keep Rafa and the takeover is a success, then they'll be history.

Guest firetotheworks

You can't blame kids from Tyneside, mid Durham etc., for dumping us and following the mags . Thousands left us in the nineties and their kids help swell the St. James' gates now .

How much truth is there in this? Appears to be quite a sore point.. the Keegan side. Comes up a lot.

But they didn’t ‘lose’ any fans did they? Their numbers didn’t go down. Ours went up but that was more in line with the general increase across the country following the increase in exposure/popularity due to the formation of the PL.

You hear plenty of Mackem accents in the ground on matchdays.

They could quite easily just be from South Shields or Washington tbf.

But they didn’t ‘lose’ any fans did they? Their numbers didn’t go down. Ours went up but that was more in line with the general increase across the country following the increase in exposure/popularity due to the formation of the PL.

Mackem accent is quite a bit different to the Washington or South Shields accent.

Mackem accent is quite a bit different to the Washington or South Shields accent.

Aye, a proper Sunderland accent makes your ears bleed. Washington accents are a right mixture. I lived there for 30 years, my parents were from the West End of Newcastle and loads of my mates had parents from places like Stanley (not many from Sunderland centre back then). The result was that Newcastle folk would call you a Mackem and Sunderland Townies would call you a Geordie. Have to say that since I left a load of scruffy gits from Sunderland have infested the place thanks to Sunderland Council. The Galleries is used as a free place to keep warm as they’ve already burned all their furniture to keep the house warm.

Aye, a proper Sunderland accent makes your ears bleed. Washington accents are a right mixture. I lived there for 30 years, my parents were from the West End of Newcastle and loads of my mates had parents from places like Stanley (not many from Sunderland centre back then). The result was that Newcastle folk would call you a Mackem and Sunderland Townies would call you a Geordie. Have to say that since I left a load of scruffy gits from Sunderland have infested the place thanks to Sunderland Council. The Galleries is used as a free place to keep warm as they’ve already burned all their furniture to keep the house warm.

Fuck off you cheeky twat :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

There are no hard and fast rules like, I know a few people from both that sound like one of Geordie, Mackem, or Durham. CLS can be the same.

Guest neesy111

What a load of crap.

f*** off you cheeky t*** :lol:

Apologies; must be hard accepting you’re one of the scruffy gits 😂, seriously, the last time I was in The Galleries it was wall to wall trash, it was like they’d shipped in half the populations of Pennywell and Hendon. I’m a Village lad and loved it there.

On the topic of their support, I went car shopping up Wessington Way today at about 2pm and it was absolute dead. Nothing that you could even begin to describe as typical match day traffic. The three or four double decker park and ride buses were more or less completely empty, so much so that my missus commented on it. She knows fuck all about football.