Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

And in many ways, starting in the Championship is actually a positive. Obviously we desperately need to be promoted at the first attempt but it forces the hands of players, agents and the club alike. Start again and rebuild properly, hopefully within a winning atmosphere.

Agree 100%

I actually think in this instance, relegation is probably the best thing we could have hoped for. A year to gain togetherness, focus and get used to Rafa and for him to put his stamp on the team.

Enormously excited about the season ahead.

+2.

This is excactly what the club needs.

No matter what happens, he deserves loads of credit for taking this project on. None of this 'I'll only manage a club in the Champions League' w*** the other top managers seemingly subscribe to, with world class players and unlimited funds to play with.

The first bit of genuine hope about this club in a long time.

:thup:

To me this goes to show the balls that Rafa has, I know that he wants reassurances etc (standard when you consider the goings on previously) but could you see Guardiola / Mourinho managing a championship side? Hell Not even Moyes wants a piece of the Championship

No matter what happens, he deserves loads of credit for taking this project on. None of this 'I'll only manage a club in the Champions League' w*** the other top managers seemingly subscribe to, with world class players and unlimited funds to play with.

:thup:

To me this goes to show the balls that Rafa has, I know that he wants reassurances etc (standard when you consider the goings on previously) but could you see Guardiola / Mourinho managing a championship side? Hell Not even Moyes wants a piece of the Championship

I think Moyes would have jumped at the chance to manage us to be fair. He just turned down Lotus Villa.

No matter what happens, he deserves loads of credit for taking this project on. None of this 'I'll only manage a club in the Champions League' wank the other top managers seemingly subscribe to, with world class players and unlimited funds to play with.

Absolutely. This type of appointment just doesn't really happen in general let alone with us. So pleased it's happening.

Big moment for us fans, feels as if we have the most positive outlook since Bobby was here even though we are starting off a division down.

http://i.imgur.com/92ddI.gif

What the fuck is that ? :lol:

Is that Merson. Fuck, I'm gonna struggle keeping a straight face when he comes in later to pick up some money.

All I want is for us to foster some kind of winning mentality within the club. It's been years since I've had faith in a team of ours not to self-destruct at pivotal moments, and I think having a leader like Rafa is the first step towards getting this kind of ethos throughout the club.

I want to see leaders out on the pitch, I really hope Lascelles continues to develop like the last 6 games of the season, I think if he grows with us in the Championship, he'll be a real asset in the long run. More hungry passionate players please :thup:

And in many ways, starting in the Championship is actually a positive. Obviously we desperately need to be promoted at the first attempt but it forces the hands of players, agents and the club alike. Start again and rebuild properly, hopefully within a winning atmosphere.

:thup: I almost feel like I'm spitting in the face of the protests movements, who I've commended from the beginning, but I do feel like the club has potential again. I'm looking forward to the adventure under Rafa, in full knowledge of the fact it could go horribly wrong by September 1st.

If you'd have told me at Christmas that, come May, Rafa Benitez had arrived to take us out of the Championship I'd have laughed you out of town. I'd have been delighted with him being appointed even at the very best of times, never mind the worst.

I'll try to prevent the cynic in me from predicting that they'll fall out within the next 18 months. However, just as with HBA, it's only a matter of time until the personalities come to the fore (especially when Ashley's got what he wants, in promotion).

Its not uncommon for fans of struggling clubs to have "relegation fantasies" where they hope their team goes down so that there can automatically be a major rethink and reorganization, with all of the deadwood being removed and the club ultimately being invigorated by the experience. Of course, history shows that such "automatic" recovery is actually rare, with clubs more commonly stagnating or to continuing to sink further.

In Rafa, and what sounds like the assurances he's got, we could well have the fantasy relegation. The new broom sweeping clean. Exciting times!

Agree 100%

I actually think in this instance, relegation is probably the best thing we could have hoped for. A year to gain togetherness, focus and get used to Rafa and for him to put his stamp on the team.

I think he had already started to bring in a sense of togetherness in the last half dozen games of last season and that would have continued if we'd stayed up.  We'd also have had the funds to completely reshape the squad if we'd stayed up.  Our budget now will be very limited and the money we'll lose will unfortunately still be holding us back a bit when we come back up.  The only positive in relegation IMO is if its forced Ashley's hand in agreeing to Benitez demands on full control.  That could genuinely have made it worth it if he really is getting more power now than he would have had in his initial contract.

Rafa signing an updated contract with us goes to show how big a draw we actually are. Getting him in the first place was massive especially given our predicament at the time, retaining him after relegation just goes to show the potential we have. One of the best managers in the world with a proven pedigree managing in the 2nd tier of English football. I'm not even worry about him being messed around as I am sure the delay has been him making sure Mike's assurances/promises are iron clad. Him and his back room staff won't be on the cheap either so Mike sacking them on whim doesn't seem like an option either.

This is weird, I actually find myself optimistic about us :)

I've always believed this, and to be fair I think most other neutrals do as well. There are very few clubs like this one in England where the whole place can take off given some reason for hope. You just have to look at what happened with Keegan in the space of a couple of years. From a club that was almost relegated to the 3rd tier to one that should have won the title playing football that is still talked about today.

The world-class, Champions League winning Rafa Benitez choosing a relegation fight? HA. Then picking the Championship? Holy fucking shit.

I can't believe the hope is back and I truly believe this relegation is a 'one step back, two steps forward' situation. Maybe even three steps. For him to willingly come here is a real game-changer in the managerial world. Special man, special club.

Rafa Benitez :clap: :clap:

Agree 100%

I think he had already started to bring in a sense of togetherness in the last half dozen games of last season and that would have continued if we'd stayed up.  We'd also have had the funds to completely reshape the squad if we'd stayed up, our budget will be very limited now and the money we'll lose will unfortunately still be holding us back a little bit when we come back up.  The only positive in relegation IMO is if its forced Ashley's hand in agreeing to Benitez demands on full control.

Surely that might in the long run be more important than an odd relegation.. ?