Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Just need to be more aggressive and loose rather than disciplined and tight. Keeping the shape is excellent if you're under pressure and soaking it up but when you're making the running against teams happy to sit then you need bodies in the final third, movement, pace and a bit of invention. Benitez needs to cut the shackles a bit and let our good players play with a bit of freedom. Lascelles and Mbemba shouldn't need 2 sitting in front of them protecting them, get after teams and cause them problems. We had 4 shots on target at home to Huddersfield.

Its got to change, teams are happy to sit and wait and take advantage of our inevitable mistake.

We seem to be getting countered easily, is opening the game up going to help that? By the sounds of it, the first half today was really open between the sides and we were apparently still pretty hopeless. I'm not so convinced that going full 4-4-2 and blitzing it is going to work this time either. Teams seem a bit better than the last time we were here, especially tactically.

My gut instinct is that the bigger problem is the players' mentality (not attitude) rather than Rafa's tactics - he was pretty open in his NUFCTV interview that they simply didn't do a lot of the things they trained on. That team today, 'on paper', should've still had enough to beat Huddersfield.

I really did like (was it you Dave?) posting of Bournemouth's results first 10 or so. Few wins followed by really poor stuff before turning it around.

Roll on Reading and let's back our manager and our players to get it right

I do think quite a few have greatly underestimated the strength of this league (some going so far as to put money on us going undefeated, which is totally asinine), based largely on our experience from 2009/10. It's not remotely the same league it was even six years ago: the PL doesn't exist in a vacuum, its good fortunes do somewhat trickle down. These are teams that are gonna play us tough and push us around.

We may yet go on a roll and I think we've got both the quality in the squad and the right man to lead it. But these early results don't really surprise me all that much.

I know it was a different league, but it feels like McClaren was given more of a chance than this. Didn't win until our ninth match. :lol:

Yeah and look how that turned out!! Rafa won't get us promoted. Must go ASAP.

:fishing:

I know it was a different league, but it feels like McClaren was given more of a chance than this. Didn't win until our ninth match. :lol:

Too obvious mate.

I do think quite a few have greatly underestimated the strength of this league (some going so far as to put money on us going undefeated, which is totally asinine), based largely on our experience from 2009/10. It's not remotely the same league it was even six years ago: the PL doesn't exist in a vacuum, its good fortunes do somewhat trickle down. These are teams that are gonna play us tough and push us around.

We may yet go on a roll and I think we've got both the quality in the squad and the right man to lead it. But these early results don't really surprise me all that much.

It's not a good league Burnley and Hull proved that last year and we proved that in 2009. The problem is the first 2 games we have played negatively against two teams who were nearly relegated last year on top of the team slection which has been bewildering. It's only 2 games but the the mistakes made in those two teams in selction and tactics has been poor. Rafa will hopefully see put this right on Wednesday and a new winger and striker are made this week also. How Anita and Dummett keep getting a game is bewildering. Do I think it will come together possibly which is a big change from a cople of weeks ago when I would have said probably.

I don't think Ashley is going to get rid of Rafa any time soon.  That would be like admitting defeat and he is a stubborn wretch of a human.

Your best plan would be for you to go out and contract HIV and then try and romance Rafa and see if you can't bum him without a condom.  It may be a bit long term but that would sort things out.

It's not a good league Burnley and Hull proved that last year and we proved that in 2009. The problem is the first 2 games we have played negatively against two teams who were nearly relegated last year on top of the team slection which has been bewildering. It's only 2 games but the the mistakes made in those two teams in selction and tactics has been poor. Rafa will hopefully see put this right on Wednesday and a new winger and striker are made this week also. How Anita and Dummett keep getting a game is bewildering. Do I think it will come together possibly which is a big change from a cople of weeks ago when I would have said probably.

Dummett I can kind of see as we don't have another non-ginger left back but the Anita one is baffling.  He's not a right winger in a million years.  If we're really stuck there he could play Janmaat on the wing and Jesus at right back.  At least we'd keep our width and get some decent crosses in.

totally disagree, the quality is dire, its in our heads, the losing, the fear

totally disagree, the quality is dire, its in our heads, the losing, the fear

based on what i saw yesterday this is mostly correct, huddersfield were absolute shite

Rafa has got problems all over the park from what I've seen so far. Where is the leadership we had at the end of the season from Lascelles? We carried no goal threat, no speed of attack and no creativity. At the back we allowed the opposition too much space.

There's no need for panic but people are refusing to see what their eyes are showing them. It's only two games but I can fairly confidently say that Sels is bang average, Dummett isn't good enough, Lascelles has struggled, Anita, Colback and Hayden aren't going to anywhere near good enough, Shelvey can't just operate in front of the back four and look for Hollywood balls, Aaron's isn't ready, Perez is off the pace and Gayle will not work up top by himself.

It can be put right, Rafa knows how teams will set up against us but by Christ we do not look like a team who has the desire or ability to break down organised, determined opposition. Put Nolan and Carroll in that side (as they were) and we'd have won yesterday.

Rafa is playing the long game.  He allows two of the worst teams to beat us so the better teams get lulled into false sense of security and will allow us the space to take advantage and win.

It's no good beating the teams at the bottom.  You have to beat your promotion rivals.

Rafa is playing the long game.  He allows two of the worst teams to beat us so the better teams get lulled into false sense of security and will allow us the space to take advantage and win.

It's no good beating the teams at the bottom.  You have to beat your promotion rivals.

We've lost to 2 of the top 3 so far..........mind you if we'd beaten them we'd have been playing against relegation candidates.......

I thought that with the appointment of Rafa that we would have seen the end of going into the new season with players we knew were not good enough years ago and without addressing our areas of weakness but it seems not and it boggles my mind. Hell even on Champ Man I used to get rid of the shite and improve my weak positions just as soon as that new transfer kitty came through; why is it that this seems to be beyond a Newcastle manager?

That said I still believe that we have enough quality and man for man we are better than most teams and once we get a LB a LW (hopefully) and Mitro back, with a balanced team our better players should provide the quality to see us through. Our players need to man up though and take some fucking responsibility.

I thought that with the appointment of Rafa that we would have seen the end of going into the new season with players we knew were not good enough years ago and without addressing our areas of weakness but it seems not and it boggles my mind. Hell even on Champ Man I used to get rid of the shite and improve my weak positions just as soon as that new transfer kitty came through; why is it that this seems to be beyond a Newcastle manager?

That said I still believe that we have enough quality and man for man we are better than most teams and once we get a LB a LW (hopefully) and Mitro back, with a balanced team our better players should provide the quality to see us through. Our players need to man up though and take some fucking responsibility.

LB, LW & ST are obviously priorities but unless we address our alarming weakness in CM we'll not get out of this division, you can't lose the battle in there every game, we've got to be first to every second ball matching them on effort because that's what a lot of teams in the division will rely on against us

Two games ffs. Yes there's problems but after a win I think a lot of the problems would disappear to many eyes. Load of new players taking time to gel, young players/new players freaking in front of an expectant sellout crowd, Rafa getting to know a different league to ones he's used to. It's a tricky league, always has been. We did exceptionally well last time we won it in such style, it's not a piece of piss.