Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

It's quite astonishing how much Ashley has basically trodden on the fans and totally destroyed any expectation or ambition. Fans are right to criticise what was the latest of 4 absolutely abysmal home defeats before December is even out yet others say they aren't entitled to voice an opinion because we used to be managed by Joe Kinnear,  Alan Pardew and John Carver. We're Newcastle United, one of the biggest clubs in the Country. Our expectations should be higher than meek home defeats to the likes of Sheff Wed, Blackburn Rovers,  Wolves and Huddersfield Town. It's an awful league, the standard is atrocious. Thankfully we can afford plenty more poor displays in the 2nd half of the season and still win promotion comfortably, which we will.

And they are. Don't think anyone would be happy if we're not promoted. And it'd be disappointing if we don't go up as Champions.

People being accused of sticking their heads in the sand because they haven't thrown their toys out the pram though. Personally I think our team is a bit overrated and the main reason we're in the top 2, and not fighting out with the rest of the pack, is because of Rafa. Like any manager though you take the good with the bad, and Rafa has his bad points no doubt, but he's by a distance the most distinguished manager we've ever had and it's pretty disheartening to see people jumping on his back every time he falters. In isolation the 6 defeats are bad but that's ignoring the pretty incredible runs of form we've been on around them. To the point Brighton are only 2 points ahead of us having the season of their lives.

Where people ARE putting their heads in the sand is not because they are not throwing toys from their prams, its because they really think the team is better than it is....and you answered that by saying yourself that the team is somewhat over-rated, which it is and that is the point many who have raised concerns, are making.

A side which is truly Champions material would not have lost 4 games at home by December...and only two of those to a side who could genuinely be assessed as possible promotion material, i.e. Sheff Weds and Huddersfield. We lack creativity and pace, both in midfield and up front with the exception of Gayle and that is possibly the main reason why these defeats have happened. Away from home we can sit back, pass the ball around the back 4 and the only people that irritates are the home supporters ; with our one player of pace - Gayle - up front, we can always catch teams on the break as they are obliged to attack more on their home grounds. At SJP, the opposition are quite happy to sit back and mark us tightly knowing the fans want Newcastle to attack more so if the opposition has planned well or has pace up front(as on Boxing Day)it is THEY that are catching us on the break...look how many times Darlow saved us from Fletcher's chances alone....

They know that if we go behind we haven't got the guile and skill in m/f or the pace up front to open them up and that is even worse when Shelvey is out of the side as we saw.

The problem won't be sorted unless Rafa is able to sign a couple of decent players, one on m/f and one either up front or on the flanks. Rafa has to work with what he has, there are some chinks in the side's makeup and I don't subscribe to what appears to be a consensus view that we are certain to go up...anyone who saw what happened to our genuinely great side in 1995/96 after we were TWELVE points ahead of Man U in February and still ended up blowing the title would never make the mistake of taking anything for granted in football. We are only at Christmas, already a number of fans appear to be quite happy to accept that Brighton will pip us for the League and at least 4 other sides are putting decent runs together and will look at our stumbles and fancy their chances even more of grabbing an automatic place or at least getting into the Play-offs...I don't know about any of you but I do NOT want us to end up there because we have a poor and notorious record of failing on the big occasion...new signings are needed to steady the ship.

I wonder if Jonny Hall has seen us lose at home yet.

Interesting reading back, though; I was actually looking for that very discussion after Monday night's game but couldn't dig it up. There's some similarities for sure. The two teams (that one in 10/11 and today's) both share a distinct lack of pace and - when there's no Shelvey - flair.

Got to give Yedlin a run out soon. Guy's rapido.

It's quite astonishing how much Ashley has basically trodden on the fans and totally destroyed any expectation or ambition. Fans are right to criticise what was the latest of 4 absolutely abysmal home defeats before December is even out yet others say they aren't entitled to voice an opinion because we used to be managed by Joe Kinnear,  Alan Pardew and John Carver. We're Newcastle United, one of the biggest clubs in the Country. Our expectations should be higher than meek home defeats to the likes of Sheff Wed, Blackburn Rovers,  Wolves and Huddersfield Town. It's an awful league, the standard is atrocious. Thankfully we can afford plenty more poor displays in the 2nd half of the season and still win promotion comfortably, which we will.

And they are. Don't think anyone would be happy if we're not promoted. And it'd be disappointing if we don't go up as Champions.

People being accused of sticking their heads in the sand because they haven't thrown their toys out the pram though. Personally I think our team is a bit overrated and the main reason we're in the top 2, and not fighting out with the rest of the pack, is because of Rafa. Like any manager though you take the good with the bad, and Rafa has his bad points no doubt, but he's by a distance the most distinguished manager we've ever had and it's pretty disheartening to see people jumping on his back every time he falters. In isolation the 6 defeats are bad but that's ignoring the pretty incredible runs of form we've been on around them. To the point Brighton are only 2 points ahead of us having the season of their lives.

Where people ARE putting their heads in the sand is not because they are not throwing toys from their prams, its because they really think the team is better than it is....and you answered that by saying yourself that the team is somewhat over-rated, which it is and that is the point many who have raised concerns, are making.

A side which is truly Champions material would not have lost 4 games at home by December...and only two of those to a side who could genuinely be assessed as possible promotion material, i.e. Sheff Weds and Huddersfield. We lack creativity and pace, both in midfield and up front with the exception of Gayle and that is possibly the main reason why these defeats have happened. Away from home we can sit back, pass the ball around the back 4 and the only people that irritates are the home supporters ; with our one player of pace - Gayle - up front, we can always catch teams on the break as they are obliged to attack more on their home grounds. At SJP, the opposition are quite happy to sit back and mark us tightly knowing the fans want Newcastle to attack more so if the opposition has planned well or has pace up front(as on Boxing Day)it is THEY that are catching us on the break...look how many times Darlow saved us from Fletcher's chances alone....

They know that if we go behind we haven't got the guile and skill in m/f or the pace up front to open them up and that is even worse when Shelvey is out of the side as we saw.

The problem won't be sorted unless Rafa is able to sign a couple of decent players, one on m/f and one either up front or on the flanks. Rafa has to work with what he has, there are some chinks in the side's makeup and I don't subscribe to what appears to be a consensus view that we are certain to go up...anyone who saw what happened to our genuinely great side in 1995/96 after we were TWELVE points ahead of Man U in February and still ended up blowing the title would never make the mistake of taking anything for granted in football. We are only at Christmas, already a number of fans appear to be quite happy to accept that Brighton will pip us for the League and at least 4 other sides are putting decent runs together and will look at our stumbles and fancy their chances even more of grabbing an automatic place or at least getting into the Play-offs...I don't know about any of you but I do NOT want us to end up there because we have a poor and notorious record of failing on the big occasion...new signings are needed to steady the ship.

I think that's just you and a few other fans who are over-pessimistic. This is more frustration for me, I still think we'll win this league, just getting annoyed when we put out sides with too many players who lack pace or touch. I don't think a midfield of Hayden, Colback, Gouffran and Ritchie offers much threat or pace, especially when supported by defensive full backs who can't get forward either.

I think that's just you and a few other fans who are over-pessimistic. This is more frustration for me, I still think we'll win this league, just getting annoyed when we put out sides with too many players who lack pace or touch. I don't think a midfield of Hayden, Colback, Gouffran and Ritchie offers much threat or pace, especially when supported by defensive full backs who can't get forward either.

Actually, Tron, I am NOT among those who are happy for Brighton to pip us to the title...yes, I agree that we put out sides without much pace or threat, but that is because in some positions Rafa hasn't much choice. He COULD, though, have picked Yedlin instead of Dummett and put Mitro on sooner in the second half. Brighton MIGHT pip us to the title if we don't address the pace/creativity problem in the transfer market and we will still find it a challenge to beat well organized sides who come to SJP to park the bus. As I said earlier, our stumbles at SJP have given the chasing clubs heart and I wouldn't say we are certainties to be promoted yet....

Probably got your previous posts mixed up, I agree with what you're saying here. I still think we have the strongest squad in the league on the whole like - subs included, but I don't think we're as strong as it seemed and as I've said before I think you can argue Brighton have a better first XI. Then there's Derby and Shef Wed who are probably not too far behind either.

With or without signings though I expect Rafa to get us back on track.

I think the concerns expressed are legitimate and I appreciate we should always be the best we can be in the league we are in, though personally I see no glory in a paper trophy but it would be nice. The thing that stops me from worrying is that the man has the talent and more importantly the capacity to learn from mistakes and if the same issues are coming another quarter of the way in then I'll be more concerned. We haven't had that in a decade; just boorish, narrow minded oafs that we've been told to get behind and put our faith in.

Aye :lol: He doesn't say it at all like, basically just says we need to manage the game better when teams come up and defend for 90 minutes.

Still seems more pissed off about conceding goals rather than scoring them.

Hes learning the league and will be far more at home in the premiership, so I'm personally relaxed about how we get through this season as long as it ends with us promoted....though sure he'll tweak things to make it a little easier!

Hopefully this is the last season for both Rafa and NUFC outside the prem.

Rafa will continue to play the current formation and system as he wants to get his players well drilled for it for next season.

He will only consider changing things within a match if we are struggling, or from the start of a match if it looks like our promotion charge is faltering.

If he thinks players can't play in his system he will replace them.

I suspect whilst he wants to win the league, he would choose 2nd place promotion and better preparedness for using his system next year over winning the league under a different system that he would then need to change again next season.