Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/6998049/Rafa-Benitez-signing-is-kiss-of-life-for-Newcastle-and-could-spell-misery-for-Sunderland.html

THIS has been such a fabulous season for the battle at the top.

But there will be one hell of a scrap at the bottom now that new boss Rafa Benitez has arrived at Newcastle.

It is accepted that Aston Villa have gone and I think, despite their morale-boosting point against Manchester City, Norwich will also be following them down.

So we are left with a major clash between Sunderland and Newcastle to avoid that final relegation spot.

Given the huge amounts of money coming the way of anyone in the Premier League next season, it will be as big a contest between these two as there may ever have been.

I told him that if he gets it right at Newcastle, he will become an absolute hero.

I told him I wanted to be in the City the day a manager brings a trophy to Newcastle — and the impact it would have if he did.

I related the fact 500,000 people filled the streets to welcome us home after we had LOST two FA Cup finals.

He told me that it was the potential of what Newcastle could be that attracted him to the club.

It’s true there is potential, but how long have we been saying that? First things first of course — and Rafa has to keep the club up.

After that, there is a huge chance with a great manager to get it right.

But he has to be allowed to do it his way, develop a squad that can challenge, buy and sell the players he wants, whatever their age.

He is a man who is prepared to fight the board for what he wants. But let’s not make him do that.

The club needs to reconnect with the supporters.

And that will happen quickly if results turn and Rafa is really allowed to manage in his own way.

It has gone from being a club where everyone is in it together to a ‘them-and-us’ situation concerning the fans and the media.

Join it all back together and there is huge power there, I just hope owner Mike Ashley can recognise that.

They now have a manager who has been there, seen it and done it.

He is tactically very astute — and goodness me does this team need some organising.

Hopefully the first thing he will do is stop the full-backs bombing on and leaving the centre-backs and goalkeeper so exposed, because that has been a problem all season.

It would be incredible if he could sort it out quickly enough to get a result tonight at league leaders Leicester.

I doubt it, because Leicester are just too good.

The big one for Rafa is coming on Sunday.

There will be some concern that he has a get-out clause if the club goes down. To some, that may show a lack of commitment.

But I understand it because he has always managed at the top level and that is what he wants to continue to do.

Having spoken to him, I know he desperately wants to do it with Newcastle — and finally unleash that potential.

There is hope once more.

Rafa is a massive signing for us but i feel its far to late, we need a minimum of 13/30 going by the 4 seasons or a maximum of 16/30 . If we go down Ashley will go back to the old routine and never change back again

Nah - beat the mackems, beat Norwich, beat Palace. Simples. #believe

EDIT: In case you don't believe, then add Swansea and Villa to the list of winnable games. We're going to do this :thup:

Rafa is a massive signing for us but i feel its far to late, we need a minimum of 13/30 going by the 4 seasons or a maximum of 16/30 . If we go down Ashley will go back to the old routine and never change back again

Nah - beat the mackems, beat Norwich, beat Palace. Simples. #believe

Add villa and Swansea into that and we're safe.

Sounds so easy.....

Bottom line, imagine how distraught we'd all be if they'd got Pearson in.[emoji38]

Was it Pearson in charge when we lost 6-0 at Man Utd? Or am I re-writing history?

Think that was Steve Clarke

I'm sure it was Pearson, didn't Ronaldo score 3 and Tevez get 2?

It WAS Pearson.

Love the fact he went and spoke to Shearer and Beardsley. You can see that Shearer appreciated it, and I'm sure it got Rafa even more excited and determined about pulling this off. Good stuff.

A Madrid manager needs to be able to build a team around all the big stars, entertain the fans naturally and manage big egos. Ancelotti, Del Bosque types who aren't married to tactical ideas but focus on getting the best out of star players.

Benitez is too defensive minded. Doesn't manage big egos terribly well. Is tactics first - players second.

It wasn't his fault but he's never a Real Madrid manager. Just like he couldn't manage Barcelona. He's an underdog manager in terms of the elite. Valencia, Liverpool, could see him at Atleti.,

Agreed that he defensive 1st also his skillful players are too often put on a leash.

Its probably the missing piece in his football repertoire, hopeful he will continue to evolved and become one of the most successful managers the game has seen.

I reckon his football has become alot more offensive over the years. Thats just me we would have to see.

Crazy that we can attract a manager of his quality in out current predicament, but I fear it's too late. Why not appoint him before the fucking La Manga trip?

I had distanced myself from the club, accepted relegation was a near certainty and thought fuck it I've got better things to do with my time than watch that shit week in, week out.

Now I'm torn, should I get back on board and enjoy the next few games or still keep my distance as I'm fucking tired of being let down time and again. One thing is certain, I've had a shit nights sleep because of thinking about tonights game and have that feeling back, the one the club had sucked out of me for a long time. DAM YOU NUFC. I hope like fuck he does keep us up though, imagine looking forward to next season with a bit of hope, excitement in our stomachs and actually looking forward to the match / MOTD.

HTL.

People are talking about winning 5 in 10, when the team has won 6 league games all season... I'm pretty sure the morale surge alone of signing Benítez will do a lot, but I'm really afraid that it will be too late. And IT WILL SUCK.

Agreed. What's keeping me excited is the fact we only have to do better than our rivals by 2 points. Beat Sunderland & Norwich and we will end up staying up. Anything less than 4 points over the next 3 games and we are goners.

People are talking about winning 5 in 10, when the team has won 6 league games all season... I'm pretty sure the morale surge alone of signing Benítez will do a lot, but I'm really afraid that it will be too late. And IT WILL SUCK.

You are spot on but we aren't cut adrift in the bottom 3 and its now a case of winning our key games , Sunderland and Norwich then hopefully bettering or matching their results.  The Sunderland and Norwich games are do or die basically

Sounds simple, but all we need to do between now and the end of the season is win one more game than Norwich and Sunderland, and we still play both. I also think the Benitez appointment gives us a chance in every remaining game as opposed to hand picking a couple that we may have a chance in under McClaren.

:thup: I'm preparing for possibly the greatest vertical drop on the emotional roller coaster we've ever had to experience.

Still, while obviously tinged with an almost overwhelming shadow of relegation, and him buggering off before any sort of project even starts... it's nice to dream. :lol:

Worth mentioning Leicester were on 19 points at this stage last season and obviously we all know they stayed up, however it just shows what momentum can do at this stage, and I think if we were to get a win either tonight or against Sunderland, our fixture list gives us the chance to do the same.

:thup: I'm preparing for possibly the greatest vertical drop on the emotional roller coaster we've ever had to experience.

Still, while obviously tinged with an almost overwhelming shadow of relegation, and him buggering of before any sort of project even starts... it's nice to dream. :lol:

I'm probably going to be more anxious about your run-in than ours, makes me feel weird :lol:

Still, while obviously tinged with an almost overwhelming shadow of relegation, and him buggering of before any sort of project even starts... it's nice to dream. :lol:

I'm probably going to be more anxious about your run-in than ours, makes me feel weird :lol:

So much of the anxiety could dissolve away simply on how we look tonight. Not winning (that would be way too much for a dickie heart), just looking like a group that can be dangerous, and could win sooner rather than later.

I'm absolutely shitting it. :frantic: :indi:

Agreed. What's keeping me excited is the fact we only have to do better than our rivals by 2 points. Beat Sunderland & Norwich and we will end up staying up. Anything less than 4 points over the next 3 games and we are goners.

4 points would be horrible, I see it as a minimum 6 from the next 3 games needed, ideally coming against the Mackems and Norwich

Palace, Swansea, Norwich and Villa and dare I say it the Mackems are the teams we should be looking to win against. Anything against Leicester or Southampton would be a bonus. Have written off the Citeh, Liverpool and Spurs games.