Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest neesy111

Sticking with McClaren after the Chelsea game might prove fatal, based on that improvement.

We would have definitely got a win against Bournemouth if Rafa had been here.

That's debatable, Bournemouth are in good form.

Sticking with McClaren after the Chelsea game might prove fatal, based on that improvement.

We would have definitely got a win against Bournemouth if Rafa had been here.

Not sure what you've seen tonight that warrants that statement mind. He's good but he's not a goal scorer!

He looked pretty crestfallen in his interview. Clearly knows how hard its gonna be to keep us in the league.

Alternatively he thinks we should have got something tonight and minor adjustments would have done so.

As I said in the pre-match thread, this fixture (and its timing) was never likely to produce any points. It's more important that he's learnt enough about the squad to get more out of them starting with the derby.

We have better players and a better manager than Sunderland and we have home soil advantage, they have the psychological advantage and that has been used to full effect against weak minded management. Benitez needs to get the players right in the head most of all going into this game. We need belief and confidence.

Looked sick as a chip.

One of his coaches was speaking to him behind his hand towards the end of the game, probably asking "What the fuck have we done?"

I thought he handled it pretty well. He could have made excuses and claimed we were denied a legit penalty, or that Vardy was offside, but he was pretty honest and said it like it was. We struck the ball weakly in good scoring positions in the first half and we failed to clear our lines on three occasions before they scored.

I am just worried that we have left it too late to appoint someone of his calibre to fix fundamental weaknesses. The two key games we have to win against Sunderland and Norwich are coming up sooner rather than later, and it's a big ask to fix problems at both ends of the pitch in such a short space of time.

Guest neesy111

We have better players and a better manager than Sunderland and we have home soil advantage, they have the psychological advantage and that has been used to full effect against weak minded management. Benitez needs to get the players right in the head most of all going into this game. We need belief and confidence.

Our squad isn't better than theirs tbh based on the form from new year.

He looked pretty crestfallen in his interview. Clearly knows how hard its gonna be to keep us in the league.

Alternatively he thinks we should have got something tonight and minor adjustments would have done so.

As I said in the pre-match thread, this fixture (and its timing) was never likely to produce any points. It's more important that he's learnt enough about the squad to get more out of them starting with the derby.

He'll have learned a lot more tonight than he will have in training sessions.  I think we'll be better on Sunday for tonight and I can't see us losing although I don't know if we can win it.

He'll have learned a lot more tonight than he will have in training sessions.  I think we'll be better on Sunday for tonight and I can't see us losing although I don't know if we can win it.

1-0 to either team, I reckon.

With our lack of goals, 0-0 is the best we can hope for IMO.

I don't know where our goals are going to come from.  We have players who can score, maybe Wijnaldum is our best bet unless we can get Cisse fit.

One positive from today was that Rafa did at least make changes early enough to try and affect the result. All the substitutes were positive and other than Doumbia, given enough time to make a difference.

I'm not sure where all the negativity is coming from, try watching back any of McClarens away games and watch tonight's game back again to see the massive strides we've made already. We still have a game in hand on Norwich and the Mackem game can be a huge turning point for us.

Rafa has breathed a new lease of life into these players in a very short space of time and he has another week to make even more of an impact. IF we lose the derby then by all means start to panic.

Today it was all about the performance and coming so soon after his arrival was always going to be very difficult. There were many encouraging signs there for the upcoming games.

3 days of training, played our 2 backup CBs, our ginger cunt at LB, and we conceded 1 and fought the entire match and could have had a shout for an offisde on their goal and a penalty for us.

5-6 days to be with the squad to prepare for Sunderland. Get 3 points, 2 weeks until Norwich and then onward and hopefully upward.

Rafa's post match demeanor just looked like a man who was frustrated, he doesn't like losing, no matter what.