Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

He's getting pretty much the max out of the squad available.

Those people that are moaning their heads off are probably the same people who were at the start of the season predicting something ridiculous like remaining the whole season unbeaten, Mitrovic raping the league, blah blah blah! 

They clearly misjudged the league due to their lack of knowledge about it.

He's doing the job expected, imo.

I respectfully disagree.  If that is the case and we are promoted we're totally f***ed next season without major surgery to the squad.

Massively.

IMO we really should be performing better than we are. If he's doing the best with the squad he has, let's not get promoted as we are coming straight back down.

Those people that are moaning their heads off are probably the same people who were at the start of the season predicting something ridiculous like remaining the whole season unbeaten, Mitrovic raping the league, blah blah blah! 

I respectfully disagree.  If that is the case and we are promoted we're totally f***ed next season without major surgery to the squad.

Massively.

IMO we really should be performing better than we are. If he's doing the best with the squad he has, let's not get promoted as we are coming straight back down.

Does anyone honestly have think Benitez would be happy in the prem with the current squad :lol: I tell you what I wish we'd got someone in with proper knowhow of the championship like Nigel Pearson haha

It's not perfect but we are currently top and very likely to go up

Mitro, Diame, Perez and a few others have been a massive disappointment this season. I'm sure Rafa expected a lot better from them. That's 3 of the main players in the squad who aren't really cutting it. That leaves a void for Rafa to try to fill with 'lesser' players.

Agree, which is worrying for next season. Ritchie and Gayle aside we weren't going to attract any decent players that would then go on to play in the PL so it makes sense why we signed Murphy, etc. I'm really not looking forward to the summer. We need 5/6 starters at the very least.

I think Rafa is doing a good job and he's more suited to the Premiership because he'll have more time between games to work on different tactics.

I don't think Rafa works on different tactics, he works on the same tactics, shape, control, discipline, all within the restraints of a rigid 4-2-3-1. It's relatively successful at this level, however entertaining and good to watch it isn't.

Massively.

Does anyone honestly have think Benitez would be happy in the prem with the current squad :lol: I tell you what I wish we'd got someone in with proper knowhow of the championship like Nigel Pearson haha

It's not perfect but we are currently top and very likely to go up

Benitez would undoubtedly NOT be happy to take on the PL with this team/squad.

The problem, as we all know, is sitting like a dark cloud, a big stationery Buddha, looming over the club from Shirebrook.....

If he thinks we don't need to spend more than 30m, that is all Rafa will get - and it won't be anywhere near enough...major surgery needed on this squad if we are to stay up in a reasonable position without a relegation battle.

I think Rafa is doing a good job and he's more suited to the Premiership because he'll have more time between games to work on different tactics.

I don't think Rafa works on different tactics, he works on the same tactics, shape, control, discipline, all within the restraints of a rigid 4-2-3-1. It's relatively successful at this level, however entertaining and good to watch it isn't.

Yeah, definitely same tactics for every game, that's why he's won so many trophies. This country....

Yeah, definitely same tactics for every game, that's why he's won so many trophies. This country....

You saying he's better than Ian Holloway? Is that what you're trying to say?

He's doing a good job indeed. We are top. Let's hope the tactics do improve because at times (most of the time...) its hard to watch.

With the money he's had available we should already be home and dry.

Get up and add quality in key areas and we'll kick on. I'm not concerned about Rafa in the slightest, he's on target to promote us and is doing it his way. His way has been proven to be successful.

My concern is whether we'll​ add the quality we so desperately need.

Get up and add quality in key areas and we'll kick on. I'm not concerned about Rafa in the slightest, he's on target to promote us and is doing it his way. His way has been proven to be successful.

My concern is whether we'll​ add the quality we so desperately need.

Yes my fear is the clash with Ashley if we go up. What he will consider financial outlay will be worlds apart from Benitez and there'll no doubt be the age old issue of trying to avoid buying all foreign players.

It'll look a lot better with some genuine quality injected next season in key areas. Provided he's given the funds and allowed to buy who he needs of course. This is a championship squad assembled with only getting out of the division in mind, and tbh, even our 2 or 3 best players would be only average in the Premier.

It'll look a lot better with some genuine quality injected next season in key areas. Provided he's given the funds and allowed to buy who he needs of course. This is a championship squad assembled with only getting out of the division in mind, and tbh, even our 2 or 3 best players would be only average in the Premier.

How many current players you reckon would start next season assuming we go up? He'll want players to fit his system - new striker, no10, centre mid, left wing, left back, centre half minimum?

How many current players you reckon would start next season assuming we go up? He'll want players to fit his system - new striker, no10, centre mid, left wing, left back, centre half minimum?

Just looking at our best players, Shelvey, Gayle and Ritchie, they were bought from struggling Premier league clubs in the first place, but you'd assume Rafa would be happy to have them starting the season or at least competing for the shirt. You could maybe add Clark and Hayden to those. The rest of the players currently starting aren't good enough IMO. Those positions you outlined are a minimum I would say. It's a two year job to get this side looking how he will want it.

We will need 5 or 6 players to come into the first team as starters.

I'd get Krul back and keep Darlow and let them fight to be first choice, Yedlin will be good enough at right back, Clark will do a job in the middle of our defence and Lascelles as back-up. Shelvey, Hayden and Ritchie are good enough in their positions. I don't know about Lazaar as he hasn't played anywhere near enough games to know one way or the other.  Gayle will be OK but I would like somebody better up front.  Aarons will have to find some fitness if he's going to stay, he looks good enough but his reliability due to fitness is a problem.  Perez did a good enough job in the Premiership to be at least back-up and I hope that we sign Atsu. Dummett can stay as back-up.

The players I'd bin from the squad are Sels either on loan or sold, I would get rid of Elliot, Colback, Diame, Mitrovic, Hanley, Anita, Gouffran, Haidara, Mbemba if Rafa doesn't want to play him, Gamez because of his age, Sammy, Murphy, Riviere if we can find somebody to take him, De Jong and Saivet.

I'd get Krul back and keep Darlow and let them fight to be first choice, Yedlin will be good enough at right back, Clark will do a job in the middle of our defence and Lascelles as back-up. Shelvey, Hayden and Ritchie are good enough in their positions. I don't know about Lazaar as he hasn't played anywhere near enough games to know one way or the other.  Gayle will be OK but I would like somebody better up front.  Aarons will have to find some fitness if he's going to stay, he looks good enough but his reliability due to fitness is a problem.  Perez did a good enough job in the Premiership to be at least back-up and I hope that we sign Atsu. Dummett can stay as back-up.

The players I'd bin from the squad are Sels either on loan or sold, I would get rid of Elliot, Colback, Diame, Mitrovic, Hanley, Anita, Gouffran, Haidara, Mbemba if Rafa doesn't want to play him, Gamez because of his age, Sammy, Murphy, Riviere if we can find somebody to take him, De Jong and Saivet.

If De Jong can stay fit and thats a big if, i'd keep him.

If Atsu couldn't get into yesterday's injury ravaged team, he's not going to have a future here if we go up a level.

Guest neesy111

If Atsu couldn't get into yesterday's injury ravaged team, he's not going to have a future here if we go up a level.

I don't see what people see in him.  I can't remember a game recently he's stood massively in which he should be if he wants to get signed permanently.

I'd keep Anita as well. Realistically we'll need at least half of those players in the squad next season unless we sign 10 players. I'd rather we signed 4-5 top quality players than replaced the entire squad to be honest. We desperately need a quality striker to compete with Gayle, a central midfielder to partner shelvey and a centreback to parter clark. Apart from that, one/two from a new keeper, left back, left winger and possibly another central midfielder/defender would be appreciated.

I don't see what people see in him.  I can't remember a game recently he's stood massively in which he should be if he wants to get signed permanently.

Brighton?