Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

One of the biggest pile of s**** I read on here is people don't rate Dummett just because he's not attacking like. He doesn't have to be particularly attacking, just handy at passing a ball, crossing a ball, controlling a ball, not panicking on the ball, etc. If Dummett is our left-back next season I feel sorry for whoever is in front of him. To be able to do anything he'll have to be able to kill a ball over his shoulder from 40 yards stone dead with a Premier League full-back on him and the touchline in view.

:lol: err, it's one thing not liking him, it's another claiming he's an average Championship clogger and laughing at the suggestion of him being good enough for a league Alan Hutton spent 10 consecutive years in.

EDIT: I don't want Dummett starting for us next year, although I wouldn't be surprised if he still was.

An average Championship clogger that's easily good enough for the Premierhship? Fair enough.

Gouffran isn't good enough for us but he would still do a job for half the sides in this league.

The fact that Gouffran usually ends up playing on the left wing when he's by trade a right footed striker tells you everything which is wrong with the current squad. There's some decent players in there but the first team is horribly unbalanced. A midfield which has Gouffran and Colback is always likely to struggle. Although tbf, Gouffran wasn't playing when we got took to the cleaners by Fulham on Saturday which suggests the alternatives aren't much better.

Rafa is the best thing to happen to us for many years - I avoid this thread after a bad defeat!

We'd be royally ferked if he hadn't of remained and we would probably be where Villa are with crowds of about 30K!

I don't actually think he's really getting any stick on here Paully mate. It's mainly constructive criticism aimed at what has been a largely dispappointing season on home soil. I love Rafa. He's up there with Keegan and Sir Bobby for me. Not as much for what we've done on the pitch so far but for the way he's galvanised the entire city and for the first time in over a decade made it enjoyable again to be a Newcastle supporter.

However any argument needs a bit of balance and for all his tactical masterclass has given us our most successful season on the road it has to be said that his same tactics have hampered us at home going right back to Huddersfield in August. On the very rare occasions that we've had 2 recognised forwards on the pitch at the same time at home we've looked a completely different team than when he's played either Diame or Perez behind a lone front man, both of whom have been largely ineffective this season anyway and are hardly deserving of a first team place.

Next 2 home games are v Wigan and Burton and we'll go into them with a lone striker and no doubt struggle yet again. Just wish he'd be a bit more adventurous at home against, let's face it, pretty poor opposition. It's been a feature of our home performances for a long time now. We start off poorly, the opposition realise they've nothing to be afraid of and grow in confidence and then we struggle to get a foothold in the game. We should be going at teams from the off, get them under pressure and force them into mistakes, just like in the 09/10 season.

I just find some of the criticisms of Rafa really lazy, tbh. And, of course, the annoying way in which they're presented by people who only seem to surface when we've had a wobble doesn't help.

As an example, I've just watched the game all the way through yesterday. I saw comments after the game that we just sat off and let them have it. From what I saw, that absolutely wasn't the case - we pressed high on numerous occasions but they kept the ball really, really well. Of course, we struggle when the game gets stretched due to our lack of athleticism and they managed it well from that POV. I wasn't that amazed by them, though - they kept the ball to stop us from having it, that was smart, but they really capitalized with breaks due to our unforced errors. If Rafa had been allowed to bring in another CM, I don't think we'd have seen that. I also thought Wednesday were just as good when they came up here.

Personally, I reckon we've lost more games this season due to player incompetence than managerial/tactical mistakes (he has made errors, just like every other manager). I don't believe they're talented enough to always stay true to instructions, and some of our defensive play when midfield protection is gone is pretty laughable. If he were a true defensive manager, we'd have drawn a lot more than we have, we'd have scored a lot less, and we'd average far less shots than we do. And if Rafa was designing us as a truly defensive team, I seriously doubt you'd see the basic errors we saw on Saturday, as we wouldn't even offer that space. If anything, I think we have a problem with leaving too many gaps when on home soil.

Edit: Nor did we start slowly on Saturday either, as we rarely do, IMO. We looked more dangerous in the opening 10.

Guest ElCid

Rafa has done a lot for the club and clearly gives a fuck about the fans and as Paully said if had left there probably would have been a revolt. However he is not a god and is open to criticism when things are clearly not going right as is everyone one else within whatever roles they have in their work. It's just not happening with the way we operate at home compared to away where the tactics are totally effective. I have some agreement that there are certain players not good enough it's in fact quite obvious there is; and I for one have openly stated Rafa was fucked over in January.

The major problem is that the key element of playing the ball over the top to put teams on the back foot does not work as well at home as teams are sitting deeper so that option becomes a lot harder to consistently make use off. The next option is to then press teams, let good interchange play create the opportunities and have the wings provide the service but that's never going to happen with the likes of Colback, gouffran, Dummett and Anita playing together with the key element of a number 10 who can't even keep hold of the ball to provide that option.

It's obvious Rafa doesn't have faith in some players to operate different tactics but why play them and nobody can tell me that playing Colback or Gouffran will have any effect as they offer virtually nothing. Operate with 2 up front and put Diame in midfield until Hayden returns will at least allow us to press teams better and make better use of the long ball. The inventive play will have to wait until we have better players. Will Rafa change well listening to him he knows it's a problem and to me he seemed genuinely concerned after the game. We have lost several key points at home lately to teams ranging from poor to okay and with still 5 to play then it's essential we get the system right and the team to match to operate this system.

Will Rafa still even be here in the Summer not a chance if we don't go up and even then I'll be very surprised given the record of pinky and perky running the club.

Cannot believe that people are seriously suggesting that Rafa is making hard work of this league.

There is not a single manager in the world who would have us any better off than we are right now.

The reason we are not having a Villa-type season is because we have Rafa in charge. Our club was a complete mess in May last year and we were saved by Rafa. Imagine the likes of Ritchie and Gayle dropping down a division to play tika-taka football for Nigel Pearson ffs.

Managers nearly always play to a system they like and build teams around that, Rafa has had one window to build his team as he was handicapped from above in January. It'll take another two or three windows until Rafa has a team capable of playing to his system perfectly. We will have bumps along the road, but we're top of the fucking league and odds on to get promoted.

If you honestly believe anyone else (especially anyone we could have even attracted) could have done better than Rafa is doing now - then delete your account on here, contact your internet provider and get it cancelled and go and watching something tedious and boring like bowls because you're a total twat.

Guest neesy111

While I don't disagree with from the football point of view of that post, the way you go on with your posts Figures is totally pathetic and embarrassing at times.  Telling people to delete their accounts etc, such a childish response.

This thread is all over the place.

Yep. Isn't it just.  Everybody: "Black n White (thinking) Arrrmmmyyy!" :)

Seems to start with a reasoned, wish he would mix it up more at home, went through Rafa can do no wrong, we're/you're not worthy, a few personal squabbles were giving an opportunity for airing, and breathe... let's get on with enjoying a good season (all's well, that ends well).

Cannot believe that people are seriously suggesting that Rafa is making hard work of this league.

There is not a single manager in the world who would have us any better off than we are right now.

The reason we are not having a Villa-type season is because we have Rafa in charge. Our club was a complete mess in May last year and we were saved by Rafa. Imagine the likes of Ritchie and Gayle dropping down a division to play tika-taka football for Nigel Pearson ffs.

Managers nearly always play to a system they like and build teams around that, Rafa has had one window to build his team as he was handicapped from above in January. It'll take another two or three windows until Rafa has a team capable of playing to his system perfectly. We will have bumps along the road, but we're top of the f***ing league and odds on to get promoted.

If you honestly believe anyone else (especially anyone we could have even attracted) could have done better than Rafa is doing now - then delete your account on here, contact your internet provider and get it cancelled and go and watching something tedious and boring like bowls because you're a total t***.

Absolutely spot on, but the bold part is a bit far, like.

While I don't disagree with from the football point of view of that post, the way you go on with your posts Figures is totally pathetic and embarrassing at times.  Telling people to delete their accounts etc, such a childish response.

Thanks, Neesy. You cannot please everyone in this world and people are not the same as they are on the internet.

I assumed it was comedy hyperbole.

:thup:

I agree with him. They then should be put through a meat grinder.

Guest chopey

Its not, its just different opinions, perfectly acceptable and perfectly fair.

He's not immune from criticism man.

He's made mistakes and he looks like he'll keep making the same mistakes. We'll still get promoted but it's looking like it will be closer than we expected.

Exactly. He gets all the acclaim for how he sets us up away from home, and rightly so because he's played that to perfection, so it's only right that we can also discuss where we think things are going wrong at home because performances and results at SJP have been well under par this season. What has baffled a lot of people is his refusal to try something different at home. A perfectly reasonable topic to discuss.

Guest chopey

Its not, its just different opinions, perfectly acceptable and perfectly fair.

Apart from your assertion that people think he's immune from criticism?

Sigh......................I'm off to the horse racing thread.

The irony about complaints of us being less than stellar to watch at times this season is that it's been like that for most of the last decade. Difference is we were mostly losing matches instead of mostly winning them. :lol:

The only thing that matters this season is going up. The ONLY thing. Do that, then the only thing that matters will be staying up and stabilising the club.

Then we'll talk about the style of play.

The irony about complaints of us being less than stellar to watch at times this season is that it's been like that for most of the last decade. Difference is we were mostly losing matches instead of mostly winning them. :lol:

The only thing that matters this season is going up. The ONLY thing. Do that, then the only thing that matters will be staying up and stabilising the club.

Our home form is 7th best in the division. Of course we should be asking questions; especially when there is a general consensus that we're being over cautious and inviting teams into games when we're at home. Teams come up here knowing what they're likely to face, some have come up and rolled over, others, where they've done their homework properly, have found it relatively easy to frustrate us.

It's incredibly difficult being at the game, seeing what is going on, to not wonder what is going on at times.

The irony about complaints of us being less than stellar to watch at times this season is that it's been like that for most of the last decade. Difference is we were mostly losing matches instead of mostly winning them. [emoji38]