Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I think between-city rivalries are more heated. In Liverpool, for example, the reds and blues have to walk past eachother in the street every day, see each other in shops, work together etc.

You don't really get that with Newcastle/Sunderland, add to that that it's miles to the next nearest club of note.

That's exactly right Hawk.

Liverpool v Man United is very bitter and very much a hate rivalry for many reasons. I go to the home game which is bad enough, but not entered Manchester for the game for about 10 years, it's a horrible atmosphere in their city.  I'm sure Man U fans feel the same coming to Liverpool.

It's just astonishing to see us at the top of a table, any table, even one you have to cherrypick the data for. We ARE  top of the last 4 games table. :smug:

As long as you really cherrypick it and only count West Ham and Southampton's last three games.

Rafa just seems so confident in his post match interviews. He doesn't look nervous or worried and he talks up his team and says they're doing well, doesn't talk about the permutations or anything just talks about winning the next game. He's class.

I think between-city rivalries are more heated. In Liverpool, for example, the reds and blues have to walk past eachother in the street every day, see each other in shops, work together etc.

You don't really get that with Newcastle/Sunderland, add to that that it's miles to the next nearest club of note.

Saying that, the next nearest club is middlesborough and they seem to carry a chip almost as big as the mackems about us. I don't know why, no one here really gives a flying fuck about them.

Us and the mackems rivalry apparently goes all the way back to the time of the English Civil war and it also had a lot to do with the awarding of rights, to transport coal to London (Newcastle won them, Sunderland didn't) This rivalry goes back at least 300 years.

I thought all that had been dismissed, the main rivalry came from the shipbuilding on each others rivers.

The hatred between the football clubs is only a very recent creation.

I thought all that had been dismissed, the main rivalry came from the shipbuilding on each others rivers.

Between the football clubs, there has always been bother (the riot of 1906) Agreed that the nastiness is only a recent thing. When my old man was a kid, he would go to watch Newcastle one week and Sunderland the next (even though he's a black and white) It was the done thing back then in the late 50's/early 60's.

Yes,  the Civil War thing is a makem myth.

The way they tell it, the brave folk of Sunderland defeated the cruel oppressors of Newcastle at the Battle of Boldon Hill. This was mentioned on Sky before one of the derby games a couple of years ago, they did a big feature on it with film taken just along the road from me.

In reality,  their town,  which was no more than a small port at the time, was used as a landing place for the invading Scots army, who fought the English forces, who were barracked at Newcastle, on Boldon Hill. The result according to all sources, apart from the one that apparently all makems use on the subject was an indeterminate draw. It was a week later that the Scots took Newcastle. Nowt to do with makems at all, in fact they'd have been hard pushed to raise a division of soldiers from Sunderland in those days,  seeing that their population was less than 1000.

The way they tell it, the brave folk of Sunderland defeated the cruel oppressors of Newcastle at the Battle of Boldon Hill. This was mentioned on Sky before one of the derby games a couple of years ago, they did a big feature on it with film taken just along the road from me.

In reality,  their town,  which was no more than a small port at the time, was used as a landing place for the invading Scots army, who fought the English forces, who were barracked at Newcastle, on Boldon Hill. The result according to all sources, apart from the one that apparently all makems use on the subject was an indeterminate draw. It was a week later that the Scots took Newcastle. Nowt to do with makems at all, in fact they'd have been hard pushed to raise a division of soldiers from Sunderland in those days,  seeing that their population was less than 1000.

rattled marra

rattled marra

I'm watching me letterbox.

Anyway,  stuff those lot, for all they go on about "classiness " and "dignity ", they've got that horrible,  loudmouthed dinosaur in charge and we've got Rafa.

I vehemently disagree. The city/town v city/town combines way more than just football. Loads of people I know who are Newcastle/Tyneside who don't even like football have very little positive to say about mackems/Sunlun.

You mean you vehemently agree? :)

Misunderstood mate, yeah totally.

Yeah, I misunderstood that too. Not in England but the Glasgow sides are an obvious exception to the City rule. I remember one of my law professors telling us that reports of domestic violence double when those lunatics play each other.

Yeah, I misunderstood that too. Not in England but the Glasgow sides are an obvious exception to the City rule. I remember one of my law professors telling us that reports of domestic violence double when those lunatics play each other.

I think the city is essentially physically divided though? The whole religious twist to it makes that rivalry probably 'scarier' than any other I can imagine in the UK at least, let alone the links to Ireland and all that that goes with it. Football just becomes a platform for some people in this circumstance.

Saying that, the next nearest club is middlesborough and they seem to carry a chip almost as big as the mackems about us. I don't know why, no one here really gives a flying f*** about them.

:lol: Any excuse.

Saying that, the next nearest club is middlesborough and they seem to carry a chip almost as big as the mackems about us. I don't know why, no one here really gives a flying f*** about them.

First time I've seen this.  :lol: :lol:

What the actual fuck.

My Mam has lived in Gateshead all her life and still things people from Boro are 'basically Geordie'. She is a little special though, bless her.

Nee bother with your mam, like, but the smoggies aren't right in the head. Imagine living under purple sky your whole life, man, with belching chemicals aal awa. Honestly, I've been there once and the natives reminded me of the Schwarzenegger Total Recall movie. :lol: So fucked up.