Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

1) Football has changed since the KK days, you could even argue it has since the days of SBR too

2) It's his first full season in charge of this club, not just the squad of players

and

3) We won fuck all under the last two heroes so, so what if it's boring football. If we win something I couldn't give a fuck.

If the football's a bit boring then at least we're playing shit football and winning rather than playing shit football and getting pissed on every week like the last four years.

Give the bloke a bit of time, the obvious first priority was always to get us solid defensively.  The more expansive stuff can come in time.

The only worry I have about Rafa whatsoever is that he's completely inflexible. You have to admire his belief in the system and his tactics, but with that you need a certain degree of some kind of Plan B, wildcard, gamble, whatever you want to call it.

Someone else on this board said it yesterday; we look absolutely fucked once we go behind. Absolutely no idea how to build pressure or force the issue; we play as if we're the team who's 1-0 up as opposed to down.

The only worry I have about Rafa whatsoever is that he's completely inflexible. You have to admire his belief in the system and his tactics, but with that you need a certain degree of some kind of Plan B, wildcard, gamble, whatever you want to call it.

Someone else on this board said it yesterday; we look absolutely fucked once we go behind. Absolutely no idea how to build pressure or force the issue; we play as if we're the team who's 1-0 up as opposed to down.

yr not wrong, but he stated about a month ago? he will want 2 or 3 systems in the squads locker- but that he wont work on , or introduce the other systems until we have his fist one working right- cant recall the exact words he used like.

Guest neesy111

Yeap, his strength in his 4231 system is also a weakness as he's unable/unwilling to change course during a match.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW, I think a lot of your fears aren't based in reality. Rafa's plan B won him the Champions League, man. [emoji38] He changes things up during matches a lot, it not always working isn't the same as him not changing anything.

Guest firetotheworks

I think it's more that the criticism is sometimes canny hysterical in the circumstances, or with the whole two up front thing, a waste of time even discussing. There's questioning things, then there's actively thinking that you know better than a manager of that pedigree.

My view is to let him get on with it and enjoy the ride. He won't always get things right but he clearly knows what he's doing. The fact that we all still disagree with each other on here all the time about line ups, players, tactics etc shows that there's no definitive way to get everything exactly right, but considering his way has got is where we are, I'm not daft enough to want to start actively being a deterrent, by thinking I know better and start getting all vociferous about it.

Not neccesarily people on here, but its mental how some fans are petrified to criticise him 'because its Rafa' 

To be fair, it's equally mental how bi-polar some fans are when it comes to evaluating him. We have a "good" squad for the championship but we're not exactly Real Madrid and we're not going to win every week, nor or we going to dominate games every week whether home or away, so when the wheels come off it's a bit stupid throwing a hissy fit over it. There's a lot of work to be done and I'm pretty sure Rafa knows that.

It's a bit worrying how much work does need to be done if we do go up, like. I said this about a week ago so it's not in reaction to last night but we need at least a whole new defence. Really not easy to build that in the space of one summer.

1) Football has changed since the KK days, you could even argue it has since the days of SBR too

2) It's his first full season in charge of this club, not just the squad of players

and

3) We won f*** all under the last two heroes so, so what if it's boring football. If we win something I couldn't give a f***.

IUt's still about getting the basics right, getting the best out of each player and using your squads strenghts. As important now as it was then and what those two were brilliant at in their time here.

And the we won fuck all comment is crass at best.

Needs to react quicker to what's going on. After 20 minutes it was clear for all to see it was going to be another Wolves/Blackburn type of performance and he waited far too long to change things around. Atsu and Mitrovic should have been on far earlier and Perez for Diame was a waste of a sub.

It's a bit worrying how much work does need to be done if we do go up, like. I said this about a week ago so it's not in reaction to last night but we need at least a whole new defence. Really not easy to build that in the space of one summer.

Was always going to be difficult to build a defence (and team) that would be willing to play in the Championship that could straight away be slotted into the PL if we go up.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa is totally over analysing things in this division at home. He needs to remember that all sides in this division regard us as the dogs bollocks and so their regular week to week game which Rafa meticulously prepares the players about and for changes massively when they play us, in many ways to the opposite of how they would normally play. And we struggle with that, especially at home. We need to ditch the cautious over analysed, over drilled mechanical way we play at home because it's fucking boring and costing us dearly. Rafa's ways will be essential in the PL, but in this division it's like putting a diesel in a fucking Ferrari. You might get better MPG, but it's a fucking Ferrari man, fuck the MPG!

I f Shelvey had played last night he would have been crunched every time he got near the ball the same as they did to Gayle and would maybe have lost his rag and got booked/sent off.  That was the SW plan. everyone knows we knock it around quite nicely (but with very little pace) so they closed us down real quick and they also had pace out wide to break quickly, something we don't have in ab.undance

Rafa is totally over analysing things in this division at home. He needs to remember that all sides in this division regard us as the dogs bollocks and so their regular week to week game which Rafa meticulously prepares the players about and for changes massively when they play us, in many ways to the opposite of how they would normally play. And we struggle with that, especially at home. We need to ditch the cautious over analysed, over drilled mechanical way we play at home because it's f***ing boring and costing us dearly. Rafa's ways will be essential in the PL, but in this division it's like putting a diesel in a f***ing Ferrari. You might get better MPG, but it's a f***ing Ferrari man, f*** the MPG!

Pretty sure Rafa hasn't clocked on to this. Best be sending out on a postcard to the Wirral HTT!

Guest Howaythetoon

He hasn't, he sets us up to combat how the opposition play and nine times out of ten when they face us they play entirely different. Rafa doesn't have a crystal ball so can't possibly know how a team will exactly play against us other than some intrinsic traits. KK understood this. You can prepare your team to play against an opposition in certain ways, but it's always best to try and impose your own game and ways on the opposition and then deal with any in game tactics and changes accordingly. The thing is, we don't exactly have our own game that we can say is our trait, is our way, other than the cautious possioson based 'control' mantra that Rafa espouses, and even then the reality is different. In the PL again, his tactics, preparation, methods and ways will be invaluable, but in this division most of his ways and methods are OTT and counter productive! Just send them out to attack, to go after the opposition, trust the superior quality we have and give players like Ritchie some freedom. 3 defensive midfielders at home effectively and a lone striker is Pardew levels of bull shit.