Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Fuck off, Sky. We literally can't win. :lol:

I know this was coming regardless of the result today. However after the match Rafa had a smile on his face and was confident about bringing in players during the week. I'm less worried about him leaving now than I was at 3pm, back him to a reasonable level this week and everything will be rosy.

West Ham's players certainly did a good job convincing him today he should go there.

Aye. 'Come to us where you can be in a relegation with players you never picked, and fans who will be on your back for the football you play instead of being at Newcastle where you are loved by the fans and have a squad that you have largely built'.

We bring in players, which he's confident of us doing (pls) he's got no reason to go to West Ham if they sack Bilic, none at all. I genuniely don't think he'd go there.

Even if we didn't, why would he go to West Ham who can't buy anyone because the transfer window has closed? It would be like jumping out of the frying pan, tying your hands, and jumping into the fire.

We bring in players, which he's confident of us doing (pls) he's got no reason to go to West Ham if they sack Bilic, none at all. I genuniely don't think he'd go there.

The reason is Mike Ashley.

Rafa loves the club and fans. Rafa is a man of integrity. Rafa has never broken a contract. Mike Ashley is c***, but I think Rafa will at least see through to the end of this season.

Hopefully Rafa uses this as leverage for some signings. Or we sign no one and he goes to West Ham. ?

Should be a fun last 5 days of the window.

Ashley would love to see the back of him. Much too ambitious for his liking.

Rafa won't go out of loyalty to the players he signed. It's the same reason he is unlikely to quit too.

Merino's dad really wanted him to join us for example over Athletico B, because of Rafa. It's already working out pretty well for Merino too. Playing a lot and already showing his worth.

I just can't see Rafa leaving these guys he's brought in in the lurch that way.

Sky were struggling to come up with something negative tonight then?

:lol: It's insane man. If we drew or lost today, we would've been slated and so would Rafa. A win would mean talk of him going to West Ham. They can stick their fucking over of our away supporters up their arses as well.

Rafa loves the club and fans. Rafa is a man of integrity. Rafa has never broken a contract. Mike Ashley is c***, but I think Rafa will at least see through to the end of this season.

I agree with all of that but still, Mike Ashley remains a huge and very real reason why he would at least consider, going. The next 5 days could tip Rafa over the edge to the point where he feels like he has no option other than to leave.

Not many people could love the club and the fans more than Kevin Keegan but twice, events inside the club left him with no option other than to leave.

I agree with all of that but still, Mike Ashley remains a huge and very real reason why he would at least consider, going. The next 5 days could tip Rafa over the edge to the point where he feels like he has no option other than to leave.

Not many people could love the club and the fans more than Kevin Keegan but twice, events inside the club left him with no option other than to leave.

I've no clue what the craic was when Keegan walked out in '97, but the last time certainly. If we get some additions I think it's nailed on that he'll be here until the end of this season at the very least. If not, then I'll start worrying again. Want to enjoy a 3-0 win in the PL, if Sky don't want us to, they can fuck off.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/ignore-noise-newcastle-united-rafa-13535432

Ignore the noise: Newcastle United and Rafa Benitez send a message to the pundits

Newcastle United and Rafa Benitez were big winners on a day that was deemed pivotal to the season ahead

BY MARK DOUGLAS

22:25, 26 AUG 2017

Deep in the bowels of St James’ Park, the TV monitors flickered with images Sky Sports’ Soccer Saturday programme in the minutes before kick-off.

It might have been difficult to make out with the sound turned down, but Charlie Nicholas – one of their regular panellists – was talking about what desperation measures Rafa Benitez should take ahead of the West Ham game. Two games down, no goals: this was, the consensus seemed to be, crisis territory. “Christian Atsu has looked lively and energetic,” Nicholas said. “Why not try him up front?”

Of all the developments in the year that Newcastle spent out of the top flight, it is the rising background noise that now surrounds the Premier League that has been most striking in these first few weeks of the season. Opinions are nothing new: the sheer volume and certainty of them certainly is.

Make no mistake, Sky Sports do a brilliant job of promoting, packaging and critically pulling apart a Premier League that is consistently compelling. But the combination of Benitez’s obvious displeasure and a slow start at St James’ Park has made the club fertile territory for some snap judgements.

Perhaps with so many voices now offering an opinion, the pundit who shouts the loudest is the one who gets heard. But the rush to judgement on Newcastle’s new players, manager and Premier League prospects has been carried out at breakneck pace.

Nicholas’ Atsu suggestion was not taken up by Benitez. Graeme Souness’ assertion that Mikel Merino was a “joke” was given similarly short shrift. Given the way Merino ran the midfield and attacking outlet Joselu carried out his instruction, perhaps it was just as well. Maybe Benitez – who had found his own management under attack – knows something about how to run Newcastle after all.

To be fair, this is a narrative that Benitez is partly responsible for. His decision to speak out about his reservations about his budget, recruitment and the way Newcastle have operated this season was condemned by a few this week – most notably Joey Barton, no stranger to the boardroom machinations at St James’ Park.

But those telling Benitez to ‘just get on with it’ are out of step with the mood on Tyneside, where the manager retains the support of both the fans and the dressing room that some of those pundits say he risks alienating. Jamie Carragher said Benitez was at risk of creating a culture of negativity at Newcastle. It didn’t feel that way on Saturday, where a raucous St James’ Park got behind the players and manager from the first minute.

That’s because supporters recognise what the pundits don’t: that a succession of ‘yes men’ like Steve McClaren have tried and failed to tame the club on Mike Ashley’s terms. Benitez’s honesty may be jarring but it is respected at St James’ Park. If he leaves, he will have managed on his own terms and will retain the admiration of the majority of supporters because of it.

And Benitez illustrated here that there is a Premier League future for Newcastle if the off-field problems can be patched up somehow. This was a reaffirmation of his favoured system, his team selection and the way he has man managed his squad.

His summer signings Merino and Joselu were impressive, especially the former – who made a mockery of Souness’ ridiculously harsh judgement of him. He was brave, composed and energetic: exactly what Newcastle need in the absence of the unreliable Jonjo Shelvey. Two of last summer’s big signings, Matt Ritchie and Ciaran Clark, were equally impressive. Newcastle had balance, intent and aggression. It was too much for a West Ham side that had bigger names than their hosts but a fraction of the togetherness.

There now follows a pivotal week for the club. Off-the-field, the chemistry is all wrong. Ashley and Benitez need to speak face-to-face – the owner has shown no interest in that. Sources close to him claim Benitez was fully aware of what the budget was and how the recruitment remit would be shaped mainly by sales. The manager clearly feels otherwise. We’re yet to see just how close that difference of opinion is going to take Newcastle towards breaking point.

But here, under a bright Tyneside sun, was the reality of Newcastle’s situation: under Benitez they can flourish. Whatever the background noise might be telling you.

That's actually a decent article.

I'm not sure if he meant it but he touches on an important point. Rafa is the man to change NUFC, even if that fight is against Ashley. We need him to keep fighting against Ashley, because Keegan did in the court room instead of on the pitch, and that was never going to stop Ashley. Managers after him never stood up to Ashley, Rafa is the first to do it and we (the club) needs him to do it, we need him to stick with us even if things are going to be rough, because there is no one else to do it, nor would anyone else ever be in a position to do it.

Douglas's articles are much better than Lee Ryder's '10 thing we learn't from the match today, 1. The free pie I got today was nice. 2. So we're the chips.' articles.