The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

Wenger cut a sorry figure in that post-match interview on BT, like. I'm completely neutral when it comes to Arsenal these days; I don't root against them or especially for them, and I'm not particularly interested in the increasing debate about 'what Arsenal fans think/what they should think.' But I felt for Wenger there. He's absolutely part of the furniture in terms football since I started understanding it. It's a shame to see him going out like this.

It makes sense for him to go soon for Arsenal, they have chronically underachieved now and he's just doing the same season on season, they've spent, they should be progressing but the same old failures rear their heads.

However I will miss him loads, last long term manager in a sea of temporary fixes. We'll never see a manager stay more than 5 years I suspect again and he did so much for the league in terms of modernising the game over here, bringing some continental glamour in to beat off the mob of those desperate to see any poncy bit of forrern skill and flair fail. Constantly changing managers just leads to the league sub plots being much less interesting. Everyone has coached everyone else now and some little bit of the league's identity is gone. I know I know that ship has long since already sailed but he's the last.

I'll also miss his ridiculous coats.

Wenger cut a sorry figure in that post-match interview on BT, like. I'm completely neutral when it comes to Arsenal these days; I don't root against them or especially for them, and I'm not particularly interested in the increasing debate about 'what Arsenal fans think/what they should think.' But I felt for Wenger there. He's absolutely part of the furniture in terms football since I started understanding it. It's a shame to see him going out like this.

:thup: Good post

Suarez and Bale became the finished article in the PL, that's two of the top 10 players in the world. Loads of other players have improved in the PL, de Gea, Kante, Lukaku, etc.

PL teams have not done well in the CL for few seasons, but part of the reason is that the strongest since 2010, Man City see table below, have struggled with expectations vs. a lack of experience and hard draws into groups of death (compare with Leicester's group). City's failings in the CL then destabilized the club and made them trigger happy with managers and players. PSG are full of new money too, but have been much more stable.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/all-time-table/2010-2011/2016-2017

After Barca and Arsenal, I think Leicester would have to lose about 15-0 to be the embarrassment of the round. I hope it emboldens them and they can give it a good go next week.

You imagine back in the day the likes of Henry, Vieira, Keown etc would have been demanding more from the players and getting in people's faces if they were not doing enough.

No idea why Wenger doesn't sign more players with that kind of makeup, especially as he clearly doesn't really seem to have it in him to be a bit tougher when necessary.

Arsenal are your modern day fanny squad. Like a team full of Gini's - good talent but shirk all responsibility when the going gets tough.

This is probably backed up by the fact Kieran Gibbs got the armband when Coshelnee went off.

Aye, he's the last real "product" of the PL. As in making his name and legacy in England. The PL is a league that buys in the finished article now, including managers. Perhaps Hazard aside the top managers and players in the league are emulating past achievements at other clubs.

I could've swore he made his name at Monaco mind you. What do I know.

Aye, he's the last real "product" of the PL. As in making his name and legacy in England. The PL is a league that buys in the finished article now, including managers. Perhaps Hazard aside the top managers and players in the league are emulating past achievements at other clubs.

He did indeed. He'd been doing great stuff for 10 years as a manager before he came here.

He did indeed. He'd been doing great stuff for 10 years as a manager before he came here.

Did he get to the CL final and win the league? Genuine question, I don't know. Mourinho, Klopp, Guardiola & Conte have all done that before coming to England.

I was under the impression Wenger had done some great things prior to Arsenal but nothing to indicate he would win multiple titles and get to the final of the CL.

Did he get to the CL final and win the league? Genuine question, I don't know. Mourinho, Klopp, Guardiola & Conte have all done that before coming to England.

When did Conte get to a CL final?

Guest neesy111

When did Conte get to a CL final?

Never, that was Allegri who did it at Juventus.

I was under the impression Wenger had done some great things prior to Arsenal but nothing to indicate he would win multiple titles and get to the final of the CL.

Fairly sure he won a French title with Monaco with Hoddle and Hateley despite Marseilles being the dominant side then.

Fairly sure he won a French title with Monaco with Hoddle and Hateley despite Marseilles being the dominant side then.

Just checked - he did win the league in '88 aye, before joining Arsenal in '96.

I still think the point is valid. He wasn't held in the same esteem as those 4 managers are now. Along with Simeone & Ancelotti those four managers are the highest rated in the world. For me Arsene is a cornerstone of the PL, reached his peak in the league. In a way I could never see those 4 managers doing.