The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

Guest firetotheworks

I've got no idea how to compare Leicester's title win to a boxing match. Why does everything have to be ranked anyway? It's an incredible achievement, leave it at that.

Because these things are actually competitive sports, ranking it the #1 whatever is another achievement in itself. 

This is the sport with the biggest participation rate on the planet, and the most watched professional sports league globally, where arguably the biggest collection of the best of those participants are located. Take that context, then add the fact that the economic inequalities are enormous, and the format (38 matches home and away) to create such a statistical unlikelihood that a team can be 5000/1 to win before a ball has been kicked. I'd love to hear of another sporting upset that comes anywhere close in terms of combining unlikelihood and global significance.

Originally it was "achievements" and now you're talking in terms of upsets though. What even qualifies as an achievement? Would continued dominance count, perhaps back to back to back (etc) titles in a sporting league with much more parity? Is it only an achievement if it's across a single season?

I think it just becomes downright silly to call it the greatest across all sports across all time. I don't think such a thing can even be objectively known. It's amazing and Leicester should be celebrated for it, but there's no sporting calculus known to man that enables us to rank such things.

The sheer consistency required is what makes it unreal to me. We're not talking knocking a bigger side out of a cup, or even winning the Euros over a few weeks, we're talking an entire season of outplaying almost everyone by a significant margin. And changing your style a couple of times in the process. Stupid levels of achievement.

I'd have loved to have seen what Ranieri was doing. Imagine him in his drawing room just sipping on a red wine, a bit of a smile then off to bed.

Champagne on a private jet with one of the club's directors apparently:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/05/03/09/33C5F06600000578-3570773-Toasting_success_Leicester_City_manager_Claudio_Ranieri_is_pictu-m-25_1462265087705.jpg

She's no Lee Charnley mind....

Where do you all think they'll finish next season? I think if they finish 10th or higher that would be a good season for them.

Can't see any way they'll fail on that, probably significantly higher. Can see them adding 2-3 genuine class players to the first team and strengthening the squad.

Don't see Vardy and Mahrez being in a rush to leave really.

Guest firetotheworks

It would be awful if they left like. Probably worse than when Dortmund's players went to Bayern Munich having just won the league.

Some blatant band wagon jumpers on the news like. Just because you live in Leicester doesn't mean you get to share in the club's success. Some proper dinner nannies wearing all blue, while the old boy who has supported them for 80 years is sitting at home toasting himself with a drink. Get them on the TV for crying out loud.

What? :lol: Living in Leicester is exactly why they can share in it. The city will be absolutely buzzing, and rightly so.

Just like everyone, including dinner nannies, game out of the woodwork during the Keegan days.

Maybe the guy sitting at home doesn't want to be on TV :lol:

I just think that those who have put the hours in should get the rewards, that's all ;)

This is the sport with the biggest participation rate on the planet, and the most watched professional sports league globally, where arguably the biggest collection of the best of those participants are located. Take that context, then add the fact that the economic inequalities are enormous, and the format (38 matches home and away) to create such a statistical unlikelihood that a team can be 5000/1 to win before a ball has been kicked. I'd love to hear of another sporting upset that comes anywhere close in terms of combining unlikelihood and global significance.

Originally it was "achievements" and now you're talking in terms of upsets though. What even qualifies as an achievement? Would continued dominance count, perhaps back to back to back (etc) titles in a sporting league with much more parity? Is it only an achievement if it's across a single season?

I think it just becomes downright silly to call it the greatest across all sports across all time. I don't think such a thing can even be objectively known. It's amazing and Leicester should be celebrated for it, but there's no sporting calculus known to man that enables us to rank such things.

You sound a right boring git like. What Leicester have done probably trumps anything done in football, given the odds against them.

It might not be a milestone, like the four minute mile or the 100m under 10 seconds but it's a stunning feat in its own right.

Guest firetotheworks

Someone at my work thinks that Bradley Wiggins winning the Tour De France is a greater achievement, I told her that Leicester winning the league is like her winning the Tour De France. Everyone on the train applauded.

Tbf from memory the Chelsea fans liked Ranieri a lot.  He kept them stable and got them into the CL when they were in financial straits.  I think they where happy to see him leave and replaced by Mourinho but at the time that was fair enough.

It was more the media that had it in for him. 

I don't think what Atletico Madrid have done over the last three seasons is that far off Leicester tbh. When you take into account that Barcelona and Real Madrid never have poor seasons and the fact they have most of the best players in the World. Probably not now as much as they've spent a good bit of money the last few years but that first team with Diego Costa. I think if they'd won the Champions League as they nearly did to go along with the La Liga win it would definitely be up there

This is the greatest underdog achievement I've ever seen though

Good statement on the prior page by joeyt, the "tinkerman" wins the league making barely no changes at all :lol: kind of nuts that.

Hate trying to compare or rank this achievement versus others - it's quite a f***ing accomplishment and nearly being relegated, their manager having a personal issue, getting the sack, hiring a guy everyone discredited and then they went to work and won the league outright. Incredible stuff and I'm happy for them and their supporters.  Proper jealous though, thinking back to our mid 90s 2nd place finishes and the SBR years, god damn it, if only we could have won it.

Anyway, none of these sporting achievements can be apples to apples across different sports and factors. I'd be more comfortable in just ranking it within football in the modern era or english league system.

I don't think what Atletico Madrid have done over the last three seasons is that far off Leicester tbh. When you take into account that Barcelona and Real Madrid never have poor seasons and the fact they have most of the best players in the World. Probably not now as much as they've spent a good bit of money the last few years but that first team with Diego Costa. I think if they'd won the Champions League as they nearly did to go along with the La Liga win it would definitely be up there

This is the greatest underdog achievement I've ever seen though

Nah, Simeone's success has been amazing in its own right, but at the end of the day, they are historically the third club in the land and their budget is "just" half of ours or Madrid's. 

If he ends up carrying either the league or the CL (or both!) this season, there might be an argument due to sustained success though.

Tbf from memory the Chelsea fans liked Ranieri a lot.  He kept them stable and got them into the CL when they were in financial straits.  I think they where happy to see him leave and replaced by Mourinho but at the time that was fair enough.

It was more the media that had it in for him. 

Fair enough, the perception from here is that he was derided, but our media often confuse fan opinion with media opinion.

Do we reckon this is a Blackburn-style one off, or will they be challenging again next season?  They've got an opportunity to win the Champions League now :lol:

Fair warning for all these new fans of their across the globe, we were class when the Premier League started getting big on Scandinavian TV and it's locked a load of Scandinavians into decades of misery supporting this bunch.

Do we reckon this is a Blackburn-style one off, or will they be challenging again next season?  They've got an opportunity to win the Champions League now :lol:

Speaking of that, how does Leicester's achievement compare to Forest winning the league and the EC? Being Spanish and too young for being around when it happened, I know little of how that went down.

Everything has aligned for them perfectly this season, right up to needing a low points total to win the league.

History shows that its harder for a club to get top 4 for a second season running, not sure if Spurs have done so now but a few years ago the list of those who had managed it were: Manu, Arsenal, City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle - and we did it before new money became a factor.

Leicester will do well to pick up a couple of wins in Europe and finish top of the bottom half in the Premier League next season.

Same goes for Spurs, they've finished second when a low points tally would have won the league in a year when none of the main challengers had a good year. In reality they will need 3 more wins next year to stand still, with increased competiition from Liverpool, Chelsea, City etc. Could be as good as it gets for them for a few years