The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

Would scrapping the league cup improve the FA cup?

I also think no replays in the FA cup would be good, I get the argument on replays generating money for smaller clubs but if nothing changes it won't be long before there is minimal financial benefit from the cup at all

I always find it strange that when it comes to sorting out the fixture pile up in this country getting rid of the League Cup is never discussed.

Lets face it, they're never going to cut down the size of the Premier League so to me that seems the next logical step. Especially when you consider that the Bundesliga and La Liga only have the one cup competition as well as playing less league games.

Although the FA probably don't want to bin it due to it being extra revenue for them.

Guest neesy111

I also think no replays in the FA cup would be good, I get the argument on replays generating money for smaller clubs but if nothing changes it won't be long before there is minimal financial benefit from the cup at all

I always find it strange that when it comes to sorting out the fixture pile up in this country getting rid of the League Cup is never discussed.

Lets face it, they're never going to cut down the size of the Premier League so to me that seems the next logical step. Especially when you consider that the Bundesliga and La Liga only have the one cup competition as well as playing less league games.

Although the FA probably don't want to bin it due to it being extra revenue for them.

La Liga is same size as ours isn't it?

Also the issue here is the league cup is ran by the football league, you've got multiple different organisations running different competitions.

The majority of clubs from League One and League Two would probably be against as well. A decent run and draw and they have the chance of a decent pay day from one round which can make a much bigger difference to clubs at that level.

Also the issue here is the league cup is ran by the football league, you've got multiple different organisations running different competitions.

So it is Nees, for some reason I thought that it was 18 teams.

Your sentiment is exactly what I was getting at though. :thup:

Personally I'm starting to think the whole fixture pile-up thing is overstated. The only clubs it 'effects' generally have the resources to cope with it. Scrapping the League Cup or FA Cup replays is a nuclear option and I hope it never comes to it; the number of teams it would negatively effect is greater than the number who would benefit.

So it is Nees, for some reason I thought that it was 18 teams.

Your sentiment is exactly what I was getting at though. :thup:

Spanish cup is over two legs, so the amount of games for teams advancing there adds up as well.

Start the League Cup earlier before the season starts, do away with Extra Time so draws go to pens and finish it before Christmas. Final in the NY. Sorted.

And do away with two legs for the semi.

If a Premier League club gets to, say, the SF of the League Cup, the QF of the FA Cup and the QF of the Champions League - they've played 54 games in the season. An average of 1.4 games a week.

That's only a few more games than a Championship/L1/L2 club, who've also competed in cup competitions throughout the season.

Scrapping extra-time is probably a reasonable shout. Or shortening it; one ten-minute 'half' mebs so the tradition is retained to an extent. Hmm, teams might just defend though. Dunno.