Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I always use the Joselu scale. Shelvey is at least 4 times the player Joselu is, so that would make him worth £20 mil. You just need to follow the Joselu scale to work out a players true price.

The Joselu scale makes him worth £4-5m. I think we'd get that back if he was put up for sale, based on 4 goals scored and generally being a target man type. That's based on a neutral viewpoint, not the fan in the stands. Using the same scale, and neutral viewpoint, Shelvey's value isn't going to rocket to £20m simply because no club will agree with it. It's there in black and white, the only reported interest is from West Ham at £12m.

Guest Howaythetoon

Average Prem midfielder? 20m is about the going rate these days. I’d only sell if we can replace him with a better player, stands with almost all our players who actually feature for us. Ideally we buy to strengthen not to replace as Shelvey as a squad player is handy enough.

Guest firetotheworks

Werw, when did Shelvey become a 20 million player, I must have missed that run of games. We overpaid for him, massively.

Nah, you just missed the market changing. The market where, for example, other English players such as Andre Gray (£18.5m), Oxlade Chamberlain (£35m), Danny Drinkwater (£34m), Jordan Pickford (£25m), Michael Keane (£35m), Kyle Walker (£50m), John Stones (£50m) aren't worth what they're bought for either. Shelvey didn't become a £20m player, a £20m player became Shelvey. Either way he's certainly not a £12m player. £12m for even a relatively established English player now gets you someone like Sam Clucas, Will Hughes, or if you're lucky Jack Cork.

From reading the last six pages, I'm not sure this place has been watching Merino lately, and overrates him in general. To say "Rafa's clearly decided he's not good enough" regarding Shelvey, is a little weird considering how little Merino's played lately. Anyway. Its a moot point. He's definitely better than Hayden, and right now I'd be keeping the Shelvey-Diame partnership, as ridiculous as it seemed a few months ago they're both playing well right now.

Merino has had a back problem to be fair, hence why he hasn't played much. But I agree we shouldn't be selling Shelvey.

Guest Howaythetoon

I could honestly see us getting rid of Gayle, Shelvey and Mbemba in this window like and of course Mitrovic. That would free up serious money for wages and give us perhaps a few more quid towards a top striker, but would of course leave us thin in terms of depth.

Average Prem midfielder? 20m is about the going rate these days. I’d only sell if we can replace him with a better player, stands with almost all our players who actually feature for us. Ideally we buy to strengthen not to replace as Shelvey as a squad player is handy enough.

I would assume the only way Rafa would agree to sell Shelvey is if he has a replacement ready to come in. It goes without saying I would have thought.

From reading the last six pages, I'm not sure this place has been watching Merino lately, and overrates him in general. To say "Rafa's clearly decided he's not good enough" regarding Shelvey, is a little weird considering how little Merino's played lately. Anyway. Its a moot point. He's definitely better than Hayden, and right now I'd be keeping the Shelvey-Diame partnership, as ridiculous as it seemed a few months ago they're both playing well right now.

A combination of not being fully fit, up to speed with the league and him being young and needing protecting etc. is probably a factor mind. That and Shelvey playing may be also putting him in the shop window if you like. If fit and in form, Merino is a much much better all-round player than Shelvey ever will be.

Still seems weird to suggest selling Shelvey even if you are that sold on Merino. That leaves you with Hayden and Diame. Hayden can barely pass a football in this league he's so scared, and Diame is a likely to fall over his feet as anything else when he gets the ball. Surely they both start in our best team? It worked against Liverpool and hasn't been seen since really.

Guest firetotheworks

Werw, when did Shelvey become a 20 million player, I must have missed that run of games. We overpaid for him, massively.

He didn't, can't see him ever getting sold for that either. If he's massively undervalued at £12m, you would expect there'd be more interest from other clubs driving the price up.

Why do people make this point? It never lines up with reality. There are endless examples of excellent players who fit into that bracket.

Nah, you just missed the market changing. The market where, for example, other English players such as Andre Gray (£18.5m), Oxlade Chamberlain (£35m), Danny Drinkwater (£34m), Jordan Pickford (£25m), Michael Keane (£35m), Kyle Walker (£50m), John Stones (£50m) aren't worth what they're bought for either. Shelvey didn't become a £20m player, a £20m player became Shelvey. Certainly not a £12m player. £12m for even a relatively established English player now gets you someone like Sam Clucas, Will Hughes, or if you're lucky Jack Cork.

Except no one will pay £20m for Shelvey.

Guest Howaythetoon

A combination of not being fully fit, up to speed with the league and him being young and needing protecting etc. is probably a factor mind. That and Shelvey playing may be also putting him in the shop window if you like. If fit and in form, Merino is a much much better all-round player than Shelvey ever will be.

Still seems weird to suggest selling Shelvey even if you are that sold on Merino. That leaves you with Hayden and Diame. Hayden can barely pass a football in this league he's so scared, and Diame is a likely to fall over his feet as anything else when he gets the ball. Surely they both start in our best team? It worked against Liverpool and hasn't been seen since really.

To be fair, we don’t exactly play to Shelvey’s strengths as a team nor have the right kind of players around him to exploit those strengths to full effect. But for what we have, certainly defensively, Hayden and Diame offer more and even the latter seems to have more energy and stamina.

Guest Howaythetoon

Nah, you just missed the market changing. The market where, for example, other English players such as Andre Gray (£18.5m), Oxlade Chamberlain (£35m), Danny Drinkwater (£34m), Jordan Pickford (£25m), Michael Keane (£35m), Kyle Walker (£50m), John Stones (£50m) aren't worth what they're bought for either. Shelvey didn't become a £20m player, a £20m player became Shelvey. Either way he's certainly not a £12m player. £12m for even a relatively established English player now gets you someone like Sam Clucas, Will Hughes, or if you're lucky Jack Cork.

All overpriced, but each a better player in what they do and their role for their respective club’s than Shelvey. 12m though is a piss take given we probably paid that for him, no?

Guest firetotheworks

Nah, you just missed the market changing. The market where, for example, other English players such as Andre Gray (£18.5m), Oxlade Chamberlain (£35m), Danny Drinkwater (£34m), Jordan Pickford (£25m), Michael Keane (£35m), Kyle Walker (£50m), John Stones (£50m) aren't worth what they're bought for either. Shelvey didn't become a £20m player, a £20m player became Shelvey. Certainly not a £12m player. £12m for even a relatively established English player now gets you someone like Sam Clucas, Will Hughes, or if you're lucky Jack Cork.

...and no one would pay above £6m for Given, or anything for Hatem Ben Arfa. Unless you're the one that's trying to sell, rather than a club coming in for them, you don't gauge the value of a player to your team based in any way on how many people want to buy them in January.

All overpriced, but each a better player in what they do and their role for their respective club’s than Shelvey. 12m though is a p*ss take given we probably paid that for him, no?

You clearly haven't watched much of Andre Gray then  :lol:

None of the players in that list are an absolute cunt and a red card waiting to happen either.

Guest Howaythetoon

All overpriced, but each a better player in what they do and their role for their respective club’s than Shelvey. 12m though is a p*ss take given we probably paid that for him, no?

I know who I’d rather have for 20m or under...

Guest firetotheworks

All overpriced, but each a better player in what they do and their role for their respective club’s than Shelvey. 12m though is a piss take given we probably paid that for him, no?

Andre Gray isn't like, arguably Michael Keane as well.

Put it this way, Jay Rodriguez was £12m, and yes he's a striker and it's slightly different, but those players above are on the new scale. Shelvey on that scale as anything less than a £16m player is outrageous imo.

...and no one would pay above £6m for Given, or anything for Hatem Ben Arfa. Unless you're the one that's trying to sell, rather than a club coming in for them, you don't gauge the value of a player to your team based in any way on how many people want to buy them in January.

West Brom are trying to sell Evans, but he'll still fetch a decent price because there are clubs who will compete for his signature. If there was more interest in Shelvey then we could ask for more. Or if he was doing a better job, we could keep him and use him. It's all going to hinge on what Rafa thinks is the best way forward at the end of the day. Pointless selling unless we can use the money to improve the team, so that has to be the logic behind the sale.

Sigurdsson 50m 

Mangala 46m

We had a part to play in the stupid fees. Andy Carroll for 35m was in truth mental at the time.

Guest firetotheworks

West Brom are trying to sell Evans, but he'll still fetch a decent price because there are clubs who will compete for his signature. If there was more interest in Shelvey then we could ask for more. Or if he was doing a better job, we could keep him and use him. It's all going to hinge on what Rafa thinks is the best way forward at the end of the day. Pointless selling unless we can use the money to improve the team, so that has to be the logic behind the sale.

Yeah, if £12m is the only offer and there are no other bids then I wouldn't sell at all.

You may, it doesn't make it right though.

Guest Howaythetoon

Andre Gray isn't like, arguably Michael Keane as well.

Put it this way, Jay Rodriguez was £12m, and yes he's a striker and it's slightly different, but those players above are on the new scale. Shelvey on that scale as anything less than a £16m player is outrageous imo.

It all boils down to what said players bring to the table and Shelvey brings not an awful lot to ours. The only reason he is talked of as a creative force is because we are so shit on that front, or rather those competing for a midfield slot alongside him are. This making him look like our only option on that front. Even Merino doesn’t create much, but I put that down to more those around him just not being good enough and I include Shelvey in that rather than he himself. Put him in a team of better players though... can the same be said of Shelvey? Again if I was to have 20m and could choose between Shelvey or Gray, I’d pick the latter.

Clucas and Hughes are better players than Shelvey - Cork I'm not so sure about. This is all irrelevant anyway, if Rafa is happy to get rid of him then we should do so. I doubt he would sanction a transfer if Shelvey was of any use.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think Gray gives Leicester far more to their cause, especially going forward, than Shelvey does to ours, zero goals, zero assists or 1 assist whatever it is. Red card waiting to happen. Shagged after 60 minutes. Etc. Etc.

Guest firetotheworks

Clucas and Hughes are better players than Shelvey - Cork I'm not so sure about. This is all irrelevant anyway, if Rafa is happy to get rid of him then we should do so. I doubt he would sanction a transfer if Shelvey was of any use.

Think I'll just end the conversation there and just agree to disagree.

I think Gray gives Leicester far more to their cause, especially going forward, than Shelvey does to ours, zero goals, zero assists or 1 assist whatever it is. Red card waiting to happen. Shagged after 60 minutes. Etc. Etc.

I can say with complete confidence that Gray has done absolutely nothing for Leicester.