Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Selling Shelvey for £12m, man. :lol: That's outrageous, man. Can't believe some posters are actually advocating it.

In this market we should be demanding at least £20m for him. Get that, use the other £20m we allegedly have for a striker (if it exists) and hoy it at a top quality striker. I think the rumour is bollocks anyway so it's a moot point.

Saivet, Mitrovic and Colback are the only players we should be selling unless outrageous offers come in.

Why isn't there a rush of clubs in for him if he's better than £12m? You'd think at that bargain price half of the league would be queuing up for him.

Selling Shelvey for £12m, man. :lol: That's outrageous, man. Can't believe some posters are actually advocating it.

In this market we should be demanding at least £20m for him. Get that, use the other £20m we allegedly have for a striker (if it exists) and hoy it at a top quality striker. I think the rumour is bollocks anyway so it's a moot point.

Saivet, Mitrovic and Colback are the only players we should be selling unless outrageous offers come in.

Why isn't there a rush of clubs in for him if he's better than £12m? You'd think at that bargain price half of the league would be queuing up for him.

We won't get a good enough replacement in this window for ≤£12m.

You sat in Charnleys office like?

I wouldn't be arsed to let him go if we got a replacement but I don't think we'd get anyone with the same skillset for the money. I prefer other midfielders we've got but he offers us something different if we need to change it up.

Guest firetotheworks

Why wasn't there a rush of clubs in for Ben Arfa? Or perhaps less contentiously, Shay Given? I don't get why people make that point, it doesn't change anyone's opinion on a player's value.

With Shelvey, there's no point being able to pass a ball if you're thick as s***. And Rafa has rightly decided that he's not in our best 11.

Ronny Gill randomly picked this name as a replacement Stefano Sturaro. Its almost too random and Rafa has a past love for Italian DMs

No idea why people want to sell Shelvey, regardless of price. It's January and we've got three centre midfielders. Unless it's a swap for someone much better we can't afford playing players out of position there after a couple of knocks.

Guest Howaythetoon

Basically he's a talented player but there's no position or role in the modern game which really takes advantage of his skill set without being a detriment in some way.

I personally think he would be deadly in a team who look to dominate the ball. He is a very creative passer and can visualise potentials passes that not many others could. Some of his through balls this season & last have been absolutely unbelievable, but he genuinely doesn't get the opportunity to play that way for us - he is forced to adopt a completely different mindset to the one he is most effective in. If he could focus on breaking teams down instead of always focusing on being broke down then I think he would flourish and his statistics would reflect his blatant talent.

To dominate the ball you need players who can move around and play it around quickly and even if we had those kind of players around Shelvey, he himself doesn’t have that in his locker to be deadly as you say. He can barely muster enough energy to get into the opposition box or around it to pull the trigger which again is sad because he can put the ball into the net from distance. His best role is sitting deep, picking it up and spraying it about which is kind of what he does for us now, but when we are often on the back foot or needing to move the ball around rather than about, he kind of gets isolated and looks lost. He then reverts to trying to tackle/get back etc. Just to get himself into the game which is admirable. But which results in niggly fouls, free kicks and the occasional mad red card. He’s the ultimate luxury payer whose game would best be suited abroad.

Probably not realistic, but Wissam Ben Yedder want to leave Sevilla this month.

Wissam Ben Yedder

Wissem Ben Yedder

Witem Ben Yedda

Hitem Ben Yedda

Hitem Ben Yerda

Hitem Ben Yarda

Hitem Ben Arda

therefore Hatem Ben Arfa

OMG :frantic: :frantic:

could we get HBA for £12m please?

It would be like seeing an ex who you once had on a pedestal but then realised the years had not been kind to them.

I think we had HBA near to his best in patches. I have good memories, i'd prefer to leave it that way.

A little like the last time Keegan took over, i wish he hadn't.

You all seem to be comparing him with what you view as a good midfielder, rather than the reality of our situation, the alternatives we have, or the alternatives we're likely to get with a measley £12m.

You are absolutely right. If the fee isn't betwwen 18m and 20m theres really no point in pretending we will find a better midfielder.

I think he is restricted here. The role he carries reflects his goals and assists, not sure why people make the assumption he should be higher on assists and goals in a side that rarely covert their chances and he is played much too deep for him to get forward to get goals.

Basically he's a talented player but there's no position or role in the modern game which really takes advantage of his skill set without being a detriment in some way.

Agree basically. We've had other players like HBA and Robert who were equally criticised for the lack of work rate, but at least they produced some end product. If you are going to accommodate a luxury player, you'd hope they produced the odd magic free kick or corner, or even a decent shot once in a while.

could we get HBA for £12m please?

It would be like seeing an ex who you once had on a pedestal but then realised the years had not been kind to them.

I think we had HBA near to his best in patches. I have good memories, i'd prefer to leave it that way.

A little like the last time Keegan took over, i wish he hadn't.

How wrong you are.

Werw, when did Shelvey become a 20 million player, I must have missed that run of games. We overpaid for him, massively.

I think you need to compare it to what others are being sold for. Theres been some shite sold for a lot more than 12m.

Then you have to try and buy something with that pittance to improve your failing relegation threatened side.

Not sure how you could justify flogging him for next to nowt.

Werw, when did Shelvey become a 20 million player, I must have missed that run of games. We overpaid for him, massively.

He didn't, can't see him ever getting sold for that either. If he's massively undervalued at £12m, you would expect there'd be more interest from other clubs driving the price up.

Guest reefatoon

I always use the Joselu scale. Shelvey is at least 4 times the player Joselu is, so that would make him worth £20 mil. You just need to follow the Joselu scale to work out a players true price.

From reading the last six pages, I'm not sure this place has been watching Merino lately, and overrates him in general. To say "Rafa's clearly decided he's not good enough" regarding Shelvey, is a little weird considering how little Merino's played lately. Anyway. Its a moot point. He's definitely better than Hayden, and right now I'd be keeping the Shelvey-Diame partnership, as ridiculous as it seemed a few months ago they're both playing well right now.

I always use the Joselu scale. Shelvey is at least 4 times the player Joselu is, so that would make him worth £20 mil. You just need to follow the Joselu scale to work out a players true price.

I wasn't aware of the Joselu scale. Think now I am aware, its obvious how you do the conversion.

👍🏻 Thanks

Guest Howaythetoon

From reading the last six pages, I'm not sure this place has been watching Merino lately, and overrates him in general. To say "Rafa's clearly decided he's not good enough" regarding Shelvey, is a little weird considering how little Merino's played lately. Anyway. Its a moot point. He's definitely better than Hayden, and right now I'd be keeping the Shelvey-Diame partnership, as ridiculous as it seemed a few months ago they're both playing well right now.

A combination of not being fully fit, up to speed with the league and him being young and needing protecting etc. is probably a factor mind. That and Shelvey playing may be also putting him in the shop window if you like. If fit and in form, Merino is a much much better all-round player than Shelvey ever will be.