Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Being able to pull off hollywood balls now and again doesn't make you a great passer. It's about having a range of passing and playing the right ball at the right time. Shelvey certainly has good technique, but his choices are often abysmal, meaning he's poor at setting the tempo of a game. He has a multitude of weaknesses as a central midfielder beyond that, anyway.

Hope the Shelvey rumours are bollocks. He hasn't had a great season by any stretch - frustrating to watch more than anything else -  but he's still one of our best players and you can see he has a huge influence in organising others on the pitch. I get a bit frustrated how many people fall back to "hollywood balls" because a lot of those long diagonal passes help get us further up the pitch and turning the opposition. The fee seems like peanuts in the current market too.

I think it's a shame if true, some may laugh, but imo he's one of the best passers of a ball in the league; and whilst his stats aren't anything special, his contribution in launching attacks for us will be a huge miss and is possibly being underestimated by those happy to see him the back of him.

While I can understand why people haven't warmed to him -it's hard to like a guy who looks like a parody Bond villain who sneers at children- I really don't understand why people don't rate Shelvey. He's an extremely effective passer of the ball with a wand for a foot and one of only 2 or 3 (and I'm being generous) Newcastle players who has the ability to create genuine goal scoring opportunities out of nothing. He also seems to have a certain intelligence to his passing, he can see things on the pitch that not many of our players can.

He may not be massively suited to playing in 2 man midfield and yes he's had a couple of silly reds this season but the way people seem to rave about Merino while undervaluing Shelvey is quite an absurd phenomenon on this forum. 12m is pennies on the dollar for him, it really is.

Whist there's no argument about his dodgy nappa, how people can argue that he`s not a top midfielder is beyond me. Its not just the accuracy of his passing but the vision to see the pass. As said earlier, without a top quality replacement, you loose Merino then you`ve got what?

Nah not having it that Shelvey isn't really good at passing like, he absolutely is, easily the best we have.  He's just got some really glaring weaknesses in other parts of his game that make me want to see him replaced.

Guest firetotheworks

If shelvey goes without a "playmaker" replacement we`ll be Championship bound

Not really since we are arguably a better team without Shelvey playing anyway. How many goals and assists has Shelvey got so far in the league this season?

None.

I take your point but that's a much too simple a way to look at it for someone in Shelvey's role.

If we let Shelvey leave we have three options for central mid. Saivet is off and Colback is never playing for us again. If anything we need another two in.

The choice of Hayden, Diame and Merino for the rest of the season, if all fit, is scary as s***.

it's not that scary tbh.

Sphincter of pure steel.

Merino has been half fit, Diame has been half a footballer and while Hayden does a solid job couldn't create a commotion with a flamethrower in a firework factory.

Less about the worry of losing Shelvey more about actually replacing him. three options for CM is not enough for any team.

Would feel somewhat underwhelmed if it's Gameiro really. Was hoping Rafa had a rabbit under his hat.

Does Gameiro still have the pace? Not seen him play for years.

He's literally the best striker we could realistically get at this stage IMO [emoji38]

This stage is probably the worst one for someone like him to come into tbh. Unknown quantity in English football and would have to hit the ground running. Bringing him in the summer would have been a much better idea.

Fwiw I absolutely wouldn't turn my nose up at Gameiro like. Just has the stink of getting ageing cast offs to me but I suppose that's where we are in the world.

Anyway it's not him so it's moot [emoji38]

Whist there's no argument about his dodgy nappa, how people can argue that he`s not a top midfielder is beyond me.

What has he done to prove he's a 'top midfielder'? No goals, no assists this season. Poor physically, poor workrate, can't tackle, can't dribble, can't shoot, shite set pieces, doesn't get into the box. Short passing game is poor, regularly plays the wrong pass.

The only attribute he has, is the odd spectacular pass - which so far has managed to create one goal this season against Liverpool.

The idea that he's a 'top midfielder' is beyond insane. He's dreadfully limited.

Shelvey's replacement is already in the team, considering he's taking game time that should be going to Merino.

If we do sell him I'd rather he be replaced by a more offensive minded midfielder.

Obviously I don't trust the club to sell him and get a replacement though so I'd rather he stay.

Whist there's no argument about his dodgy nappa, how people can argue that he`s not a top midfielder is beyond me.

What has he done to prove he's a 'top midfielder'? No goals, no assists this season. Poor physically, poor workrate, can't tackle, can't dribble, can't shoot, shite set pieces, doesn't get into the box. Short passing game is poor, regularly plays the wrong pass.

The only attribute he has, is the odd spectacular pass - which so far has managed to create one goal this season against Liverpool.

The idea that he's a 'top midfielder' is beyond insane.

Agree with this. Think I said not long back if we can flog him for £12m and Rafa gets that £12m to spend on a direct replacement (or whatever he wants really) then I'd have put him on the train 1st January personally.

I think it's a shame if true, some may laugh, but imo he's one of the best passers of a ball in the league; and whilst his stats aren't anything special, his contribution in launching attacks for us will be a huge miss and is possibly being underestimated by those happy to see him the back of him.

While I can understand why people haven't warmed to him -it's hard to like a guy who looks like a parody Bond villain who sneers at children- I really don't understand why people don't rate Shelvey. He's an extremely effective passer of the ball with a wand for a foot and one of only 2 or 3 (and I'm being generous) Newcastle players who has the ability to create genuine goal scoring opportunities out of nothing. He also seems to have a certain intelligence to his passing, he can see things on the pitch that not many of our players can.

He may not be massively suited to playing in 2 man midfield and yes he's had a couple of silly reds this season but the way people seem to rave about Merino while undervaluing Shelvey is quite an absurd phenomenon on this forum. 12m is pennies on the dollar for him, it really is.

Merino has looked sloppy in possession at times, but he looks like a complete midfielder, especially given a season to get used to the pace of the game. His movement is good in both directions. Shelvey is fine playing at his own pace, but it's way off Premier league level.

What has he done to prove he's a 'top midfielder'? No goals, no assists this season. Poor physically, poor workrate, can't tackle, can't dribble, can't shoot, s**** set pieces, doesn't get into the box. Short passing game is poor, regularly plays the wrong pass.

The idea that he's a 'top midfielder' is beyond insane. He's dreadfully limited.

When he plays, he`s a threat, I`ll grant you his defensive game isn't the best & when he doesn't start, that's usually why.

Guest firetotheworks

Good luck getting a midfielder half as good as Shelvey for £12m, like. I don't even particularly like him, it's the fee that I have a problem with.

Shelvey isn't a deep-lying CM in my opinion. He should be playing in a more advanced position but he lacks the athleticism and desire to be effective. He's blessed with a ton of talent he can't really use. If we can swindle WH out of anything north of 18M it would be a good deal. Great deal if we can replace with someone more effective to us in this side (even if less talented than Shelvey).