Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Caulkin pretty much saying we've moved from Townsend to Barrow. Typical NUFC level dissapointment  :lol:

I'm not gutted TBH, Townsend is probably better but we're still addressing a need.

We need a godawful PL player?

Surprisingly enough not that's not everyone's opinion.

Everyone's but yours pretty much rubber stamps it I'd say.

New levels of smugness, congratulations.

Anyhow, pretty much all of our recent signings have been exactly right so Rafa and his bald dealmaker can knock themselves out as far as I'm concerned. We are going up whatever and the right level of player is hard to find, so I'll take Barrow for now if that's what we end up doing.

Caulkin pretty much saying we've moved from Townsend to Barrow. Typical NUFC level dissapointment  :lol:

I'm not gutted TBH, Townsend is probably better but we're still addressing a need.

Is it? I'd rather Atsu than Barrow any day of the week.

Don't tell gallows, the cunt.

this been mentioned?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/23/nottingham-forest-fans-protest-owner-fawaz-al-hasawi

That trepidation over losing key players is familiar to Forest supporters and caretaker manager Gary Brazil when the subject of the academy graduate Osborn crops up. “Ben would be an asset to any club and the interest is understandable. All the staff at the club want him to remain with us,” said Brazil.

Newcastle United are hoping to take advantage of the financial strife at Forest, with Hasawi having squandered more than £80m since buying Forest. He does have a track record of selling prize assets – Henri Lansbury, recently signed by Aston Villa, and Oliver Burke, who moved to RB Leipzig in August, went for a combined total of £16m – and not reinvesting funds in the team.

this been mentioned?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jan/23/nottingham-forest-fans-protest-owner-fawaz-al-hasawi

That trepidation over losing key players is familiar to Forest supporters and caretaker manager Gary Brazil when the subject of the academy graduate Osborn crops up. “Ben would be an asset to any club and the interest is understandable. All the staff at the club want him to remain with us,” said Brazil.

Newcastle United are hoping to take advantage of the financial strife at Forest, with Hasawi having squandered more than £80m since buying Forest. He does have a track record of selling prize assets – Henri Lansbury, recently signed by Aston Villa, and Oliver Burke, who moved to RB Leipzig in August, went for a combined total of £16m – and not reinvesting funds in the team.

He looked quite good when we played them at home.

Never seen him play, reviews sound similar to Hanley, Clark and Murphy.

Sure he'd be a handful at this level like.

You're confident we're effectively 3 months away from being a PL team again, though. Shouldn't we be looking at players capable of doing it at that level?

You're confident we're effectively 3 months away from being a PL team again, though. Shouldn't we be looking at players capable of doing it at that level?

Indeed. Be very surprised if we spunked out on a Barrow at this stage.

There will surely be better players available to us in the summer if we get promoted though - and at less of a premium. In that sense, a decent loan signing or two might be more prudent than paying extortionate fees for average PL players. As much as I like Townsend for instance, £15 million or so in the summer with PL status secured should easily get someone better.

The most concerning thing with the Barrow link is that it would add further fuel to rumours of Ashley and Carr being more involved.

Why would it?

I appreciate he isn't our first choice signing but I'm not sure how people can deduce he's a Carr signing.

The most concerning thing with the Barrow link is that it would add further fuel to rumours of Ashley and Carr being more involved.

Why would it?

I appreciate he isn't our first choice signing but I'm not sure how people can deduce he's a Carr signing.

I am more getting at the fact that Townsend is clearly the player Rafa wants, but probably for the first time under him we are looking elsewhere. Might just be bad timing but with the reports about Ashely being more involved and now this, it makes everything more uncomfortable.

We'd soon find out if he walks in summer and gets replaced by another no mark desperate for a job. Admittedly it's hard not to be pensive given the clubs recent history but no point trying to read into things we have little information about.

There will surely be better players available to us in the summer if we get promoted though - and at less of a premium. In that sense, a decent loan signing or two might be more prudent than paying extortionate fees for average PL players. As much as I like Townsend for instance, £15 million or so in the summer with PL status secured should easily get someone better.

Suggest someone better for that price, then.

We've not signed a single player that we've been "linked" with yet. We've been linked with 17 different players so far.

Maybe, just maybe... the press are just speculating/guessing/making things up and trying to earn money.

Rafa said at the start of the window that he wants to sign players who can make the step up next year, the only plausible link that fits that bill is Townsend - the complications in that deal could be down to anything (Palace asking for too much to recoup some of their silly spending, for example). The lack of signings is probably down to the lack of suitable players who fit that bill, are available to move and want to play in the Championship for 5 months.

So many people bedwetting over nothing. The "crisis" of Ashley interfering is so bad that Rafa is continuing in his job. Like KK, Rafa would be straight out of the door if he was being undermined.